The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game: The Magazine

By Iranon, in The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

25 minutes ago, steve83 said:

Did anyone post a list of the cards in the first issue?

From the person who originally actually got the thing in hand…

• heroes Sam, Tactics Merry, Spirit Pippin, Fatty, & TBR Frodo
  • 3x Hobbit Pipe
  • 3x Hobbit Cloak
  • 3x Frodo’s Intuition
  • 2x Strength of Will
  • 2x Ever Vigilant
  • 3x Smoke Rings
  • 2x Take No Notice
  • 2x Common Cause
  • 3x Halfling Determination
  • 1x Grim Resolve
  • 1x Farmer Maggot
  • 2x A Test of Will
  • 2x Valiant Sacrifice
  • 2x Blade Mastery
  • 2x Secret Paths
  • 2x Lore of Imladris
  • 2x Sneak Attack
  • 2x Quick Strike
  • 1x Self Preservation
  • 1x Unexpected Courage
  • 1x Northern Tracker
  • 1x Celebrian’s Stone

As well as:

• the Saga One Ring
  • 3x Black Rider
  • 3x Evil Crow
  • 2x Crawling Towards Him
  • 2x Lure of the Ring
  • 1x Piercing Cry

(with slightly modified text on a couple of the encounter cards)

Edited by sappidus

Thanks for that!

I think I said this on facebook, but darn, I would buy the heck out of this. The whole subscription thing is bizarre and the whole thing is bizarre, but, premade minidecks that contain staples, foil cards and a beautiful magazine as well as accesories? I can only weep.

Yeah same here, I will legit pay someone in England to pick me up a pack and send it this way to Canada.

Well I've just subscribed, I'll get a few issues at least for the free gifts and to see if its there's enough of interest in it.

I see someone has posted a review of the first issue on youtube .

(I've not watched it yet, so I can't comment on the video, but thought people here might be interested.)

Shame this is UK only. I'm a completionist and would love the foils and some extra copies of cards.

3 hours ago, programdude said:

Shame this is UK only. I'm a completionist and would love the foils and some extra copies of cards.

Same here!

On 3/10/2020 at 12:32 AM, sappidus said:

From the person who originally actually got the thing in hand…

Hmm, I have a second core set, but only as I managed to get one for just over 12 quid...

However, there are some cards with the first issue that I still only have two of (Unexpected Courage for example), so it could be worth getting the issue just for those. Didn't see it in my local shops when I looked the other week tho'. Hmm.

This could explain not seeing it in many British local shops yet… A few days ago, a Phil Hatch posted this in the main FB thread about the Hachette magazine thing:

Hey folks, Asmodee employee here. Hoping I can shed some light on the mystery for those of you concerned this isn't a legitimate product! This collection is being produced by Asmodee Entertainment in Nottingham (in collaboration with Fantasy Flight Games and Asmodee North America) and published by Hachette Partworks, all under licence from Middle-earth Enterprise. This partwork is a great new way for us to introduce new players to the game and the epic saga of Lord of the Rings. It will also contain exclusive foil and alternate art cards so there’s something for existing players too. The collection is currently on sale in selected areas of the UK but if all goes well this will hopefully roll out nationally so watch this space! That's all the detail I have right now but hopefully it helps :)

Got this through the post today, with a letter saying it was a 4-part limited series that has now been cancelled, and none of the free gifts.

Looking through the cards from these issues, its impossible to play a game. This makes no sense.

Edited by CaffeineAddict
On 4/27/2020 at 12:04 PM, CaffeineAddict said:

Got this through the post today, with a letter saying it was a 4-part limited series that has now been cancelled, and none of the free gifts.

Looking through the cards from these issues, its impossible to play a game. This makes no sense.

Did you get 4 issues in the delivery? Or just the first 2 for £1.99?

All four. The letter says I haven't been charged, though I haven't double checked if that's true yet.

I'm another one of the UK lot, with the 4 issues at £0.00. Haven't opened any packaging yet, but happy to in order to answer any questions.

(deleted, was replying to post on page 1 without realizing it was really old)

Edited by GrandSpleen
On 4/27/2020 at 12:04 PM, CaffeineAddict said:

Shame if it's permanently cancelled. I daresay that trying to launch a new magazine during the lockdown wasn't the best time. Maybe they'll try again after Covid19?

On 4/27/2020 at 7:04 AM, CaffeineAddict said:

Yea, given that it only listed like a dozen Encounter Cards--a substantial chunk of which have Surge --and no Quest Cards I was quite curious as to how in the heck this was supposed to work. I figured you'd basically play the game "against" some set staging area detailed in the books themselves, maybe occasionally revealing/adding one of the few actual physical Encounter cards for some variability...?

Reading through Issue 1, you're meant to use the decks in the order they've been packed, and follow the pages of the "quest". So it's a live demonstration, reading along and learning the phases of play. I haven't unsealed Issue 2 but it would appear it follows the same principals, and slowly adds in new rules/phases of play along the script and eventually goes... well off you go, with the extra cards you're gathering from each issue.

These are gonna get pricy now. Darn.

I am a bit puzzled (but not judging in any way) as to why a product that looked dodgy to begin with (featuring a well known hook and reel monetisation scheme), was confirmed to be dodgy beyond redemption and now appears to be dead is being mourned.

Is it for the staples and foils in the introductory hook?

Edited by Gibby

It's not dodgy. Hatchette do dozens if not hundreds of collectable magazine series, including the Warhammer 40k conquest which recently finished an 80 magazine run (I got a lot of it) and currently running Mortal Realms for Age of Sigmar.

A lack of interest and the covid outbreak is probably why the 4 issue pilot was not carried on I guess.

2 hours ago, timbolton said:

Hi,
Where is the Facebook thing people mention above? This - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1524879351170755/ ?

What do you mean exactly? There's a link to scans of the first magazine in the top post, plus a full card list. 🙂

Got them sat next to me on my desk if there's anything specific you're after

I mean there are people mentioning a Facebook group where info is getting shared, I was trying to find that. I linked one I was guessing it could be.

Not asking about the mag as such, since either it is delayed (for the main rollout) or cancelled - I am north of Liverpool, but didn't get chance to check shops before we went into lock down, WHSmith is a short train trip from me, not doable right now.

Ohh, I getcha! Yeah that FB group has loads of info about it in. :)