Student of A School

By Alisair Longreach, in Houserules

Student of a School

Occassionally a Samurai is rewarded with the opportunity to study at a School whether it is within their own clan or at another Clan. Sometimes a young Samurai with a great potential is reassigned to another School within their Clan, like Kakita Ryoko, the former Imperial Advisor and famous author of “Winter”. Rokugani society practises the exchange of diplomatic hostages, these young Samurai are usually trained as regular Clan Samurai (The Worldly Ronin School) during their time with the host Clan and either continue their studies when they return home after their Gempuku or enroll in one of the Schools of the parent Clan. The Crane, Dragon and Lion Clans trade as political favors, the opportunity to study at the Akodo Commander, Mirumoto Twa Heavens Adept and Kakita Schools .

Assigned By : Daimyo or Master Sensei.

Honor Award : +5

XP to Complete : 20 (Gamemasters may require the Samurai to spend additional XP on the starting skills and Techniques of the newleassigned School .)

Restrictions : Shugenja and Shinobi Schools do not accept outside students because of their need for secrecy.

Special : There is no Advancement table for Student of A School, instead they follow the Rank 1 curriculum of their newly assigned School.

Title Ability : Same as the School Ability of the newly assigned School. After completion of this Title the Samurai may continue to advance both Schools.

Design Note : This Title allows a player to “multi-class” their characterwhile also emulating certain aspects of the Legend of the Five Rings setting usually reserved for NPCs.

I'd make a note that once you are "multi-classed" if you purchase a technique you can only count it for a school that you can actually buy it in. No buying Rank 4 techs that you have access to in School 1 to finally advance School 2, which is still at Rank 2.

Otherwise, I like it. It's obviously something that you need to think about whether you want it in your game, but hey, what isn't? Personally I would at most allow switching school rather than true multi-classing. That already allows for a lot of flexibility and gives two school abilities.

I view it as problematic. It further devalues the Bushi schools, who already have to deal with Shinobi and Shugenja getting access to all their good stuff through titles.

Schools like Hida Defender do not need more than Rank one for the School Ability to be very powerful.

Edited by Harzerkatze

Or, hear me out, you can play, for instance as a Scorpion Bayushi with the school being Mirumoto Bushi

It’s not like you have to pay up points for different school advantage or stuff like that. Just define the story of why your character as a Scorpion ended up trained by the Crane or the Dragon, or whatever clan you want.

Edited by Diogo Salazar