Onager for dummies

By flatpackhamster, in Star Wars: Armada Rules Questions

Is there an online video that anyone knows of that can take me (the dummy) step by step through the ignition token placing, aiming, and so on?

Thanks in advance.

38 minutes ago, flatpackhamster said:

Is there an online video that anyone knows of that can take me (the dummy) step by step through the ignition token placing, aiming, and so on?

Thanks in advance.

I would say @Karneck has a good video in his SWAE Channel on Youtube.

The long and short of it is that, at the end of the Onager’s activation, you place one token within the range band defined by one of your Ignition keywords. By default, all Onagers have Ignition (Close). If you equip one of the superweapon upgrades, you also gain Ignition (Medium) or Ignition (Long).

So here’s my Onager with Orbital Bombardment Particle Cannons equipped. The ship has Ignition (Close) and Ignition (Long). So I measure out from my Onager as normal, and somewhere that is both within the special firing arc, and also fully within either close range or long range (but not medium! You need the other superweapon for that!), I place my Ignition token.

During the Onager’s activation on the following turn, I must take my first attack against a target in my special firing arc, if possible. So I measure from my Ignition token to see if I can gather dice, and which ones. If I can’t, the attack is canceled, though I can choose another target. Note that this is not the same as measuring Range; Range and Line of Sight are measured ship to ship. You just gather dice depending on the distance between the token and any the closest part of the enemy ship to the token. This can give you some unusual circumstances; like your Onager’s Ignition token can be waaaaay out at the end of long range, and an enemy ship slips in between the token and your Onager. You may be forced to make your first attack an ignition attack on that ship, if no others are in arc, and despite the fact that it’s close enough to your Onager that you can easily throw black dice, your token may be far enough away from the enemy that you only get reds.

My big concern was range from the ignition token. My regular opponent couldn't work out why I was (as he described it) 'measuring backwards'. Looking at the video it shows that you're measuring a radius, not a distance.

I was doing it correctly but couldn't explain why to my opponent which is what caused the confusion.

Edited by flatpackhamster
16 minutes ago, flatpackhamster said:

My big concern was range from the ignition token. My regular opponent couldn't work out why I was (as he described it) 'measuring backwards'. Looking at the video it shows that you're measuring a radius, not a distance.

I was doing it correctly but couldn't explain why to my opponent which is what caused the confusion.

Yep. The distance from the token to the closest part of the target ship (NOT the targeted hull zone!) is used to determine what dice you can gather for the attack, but the actual RANGE of the attack is from your attacking fire arc to the defending hull zone. So you might actually be attacking at close range, but only be allowed to gather red dice, if your targeting token is far away.

It’s important to note that in that case, since the actual range of the attack is “close,” your opponent cannot, for example, use Evade tokens (unless there’s something like Mon Mothma in the mix).

17 hours ago, Cpt ObVus said:

to the closest part of the target ship (NOT the targeted hull zone!)

Minor correction, but you are measuring to the closest part of the target's ship token, not the closest part of the ship. It is to the cardboard, not the plastic.

When it comes to Ignition attacks, if you are having trouble there are a couple of simple rules to remember (it is more complicated, but these are the basics).

1. Before you move (or after an Ignition attack if you make one), remove the token. After you finish moving, put it back (if you want),
  2. If the token is out there you have to make an Ignition attack if you can,
  3. You only measure from the token when collecting dice for the attack, it does not determine range for any other purpose.