Genesys Adversaries Site

By dipicacyx, in Genesys

A long time ago I was pointed to the amazing resource of Star Wars: Adversaries ( http://swa.stoogoff.com/#0-0-0 ) by @SkyJedi and others. I thought it would be really cool to have a Genesys version - a utopic open-source catalogue of Genesys adversaries, nice to use and all stored in a nice (JSON) format that could be used in other cases.

After some help from Stoogoff with Windows hosting issues, and @drainsmith for a text dump of all of the official adversaries, and a lot of manual copy-pasting, I've finally finished the first iteration.

http://genesysadversaries.dylanpetrusma.com

Big thanks to @Direach , too, for letting me use the stats from the fantastic Creature Catalogue to fill the site. All the code and stats are open-source, available on Github. If you want to add any adversaries, you can either do it yourself by following the format in the src\media\data\adversaries folder and creating a pull request, or sending me the JSON file, or just asking nicely and I might add something.

You can filter by name, tags (I've started with the adversary power levels, the setting, homebrew vs. official, and a few misc categories like "Undead") and Source (GCRB, EPG, etc). You can keep track of wounds, add more tabs for other adversaries (down the bottom of the page), use the links on weapon qualities to look them up, even create your own adversary on the site. Again, I did none of the actual coding - just some data entry and slight layout tweaks (colours and Genesys symbols).

There are a changes I made to the abilities as printed to better fit with generic ones, and I have some to-dos in the readme file in the Github repo. I hope people find it useful.

Nice!

Very nice! Is there a legend somewhere to explain what the abbreviations mean? Like, there's a source RMC #2 or something, and I couldn't figure out what that stood for.

There is no glossary. Mostly because I can’t JavaScript.

Those codes are the adversary decks. Some of the adversaries contained therein were not in the splat book.

This. Is. AWESOME! Thank you so much for putting all of this together!

Very awesome! I'm definitely going to enjoy going through here!

I likely have some that aren't on here if you like, but I'm in the process of putting them all in the same folder.

Once I do, I'll reply back with a link.

Amazing !!! I just discover it !!!!

Thank you for sharing 🙏

I would just add one remark: i know it is a lot of work but if we could have image associated with adversaries it will be so great too !

Thanks again

@IamGazrok , I'm happy to add new adversaries to the to-do list, if you're happy for them to be there and public. It can take a while to convert lots of them, though.

It's an interesting idea, @KelYco , but I'm afraid that won't happen. I didn't do any of the actual coding - just some tweaking of the colours, symbols, and the data entry. I would have no idea how to use images, nor where to find enough of them that are free to use.

16 hours ago, dipicacyx said:

@IamGazrok , I'm happy to add new adversaries to the to-do list, if you're happy for them to be there and public. It can take a while to convert lots of them, though.

No, the ones I have are ALREADY converted to Genesys, and already "public" on my campaign site.

Primarily they are now in two different folders, but mixed with those that don't have conversions. So, I need to go into them all and put them in ONE folder that just has creatures that have already been converted.

Terrinoth Bestiary: https://www.scabard.com/pbs/campaign/235523/folder/243414

Homebrew & D&D Bestiary: https://www.scabard.com/pbs/campaign/235523/folder/306883

Granted, this is for the GENESYS vs. Star Wars system, and for fantasy, but I can definitely see using them for alien creatures and races also.

Edited by IamGazrok
22 hours ago, dipicacyx said:

It's an interesting idea, @KelYco , but I'm afraid that won't happen. I didn't do any of the actual coding - just some tweaking of the colours, symbols, and the data entry. I would have no idea how to use images, nor where to find enough of them that are free to use.

I understand @dipicacyx . Thank you again for your work.

I'd like to start with a huge Thanks! The website is awesome!

The main reason for my post is a bit more involved, and I'd like to put out a disclaimer for it. When it comes to web programming, I'm a complete noob (I can do desktop programming ok (nothing fancy), but my brain doesn't like web programming for whatever reason). As such, some of these questions may come off as amateurish

So, I made some adversaries on one computer, and would like to open it in another. I know that the databases' storage would need to be stored on my local machine (likely .json files); where would that be located?

I did follow the instructions, but was unable to get it to run locally oh my machine (weirdly, the original Star Wars code I could get running). I was thinking of taking what I already created and putting it on my localhost copy (in the appropriate base .json files), so that I can access it from any machine in my house. I guess I'm wondering if I missed an export file or something. Searching within the AppData storage for Edge (Chromium version) did not find any .json files.

Also, do you know where I may find the base databases for the Genesys Adversary site (again, sorry for the amateurish question!)? The DPetrusma/genesys-adversaries/src/media/data/adversaries/ folders seem to be the original Star Wars adversaries. I was thinking of merging the two databases together for my home website. If I can extract the files from my computer, I can put them in myself (by making copies of everything).

Thanks again for all of the help (even if it is a "you can't get do it, sorry").

One thing to note is that since I forked stoogoff's git repo, I created my own branch rather than mess with master. If you clone the repo, you'll need to checkout the GenesysVersion branch to see the Genesys adversary JSON files in src\media\data\adversaries

Does that help a bit?

On 6/28/2020 at 5:02 AM, dipicacyx said:

One thing to note is that since I forked stoogoff's git repo, I created my own branch rather than mess with master. If you clone the repo, you'll need to checkout the GenesysVersion branch to see the Genesys adversary JSON files in src\media\data\adversaries

Does that help a bit?

Quite a bit! that was the part that I was missing (sorry that I'm also a bit new to GIT as well 🙁 )!

This is a super-useful tool! The equivalent site for SWRPG was a constant go-to when I was GMing that. I'm so happy to have something similar as I prep for GMing a fantasy setting with Genesys.

Just one question... am I the only one having trouble getting the page to load from Chrome? It comes up fine in Firefox, but in Chrome the launch page just sits there with "Loading" spinning. A hard refresh does not help.

I know it just spins in Vivaldi (a Chromium-based browser). It does work in Edge (Chromium based as well). I haven't tried Chrome, but I have no clue why Edge works but not the other two.

10 minutes ago, BlackFoxHero said:

I know it just spins in Vivaldi (a Chromium-based browser). It does work in Edge (Chromium based as well). I haven't tried Chrome, but I have no clue why Edge works but not the other two.

it does work in my google chrome and vivaldi under linux

Hmmm, I'll have to try clearing cache/cookies for that site. It will likely fix it.

Edited by BlackFoxHero
mobile phone, didn't press long enough to get /

If it still matters, I've always been using Chrome and Opera and Edge and I haven't had it endlessly spin. Odd.

On another note, I do plan on adding the Keyforge adversaries at some point, I just need to make the time for it. I also noticed the original Star Wars one added functionality for including vehicles. I might try to get that working...

Thanks, everyone, for your responses. My version of Chrome seemed unhappy about loading the frame. I had to look at the page source and go directly to the link there, but now I've got it working. Hooray!

Just thought I'd note that I've started adding the Secrets of the Crucible adversaries. Nine so far.

Since the letter Æ in unicode comes after the alphabet, Æmberdrake and Æmber prospector are sorted at the end. I'm not sure how to change the javascript to have it sort between A and B (which I where I would prefer it to go).

If anyone wants to help by adding a couple of adversaries to the data file, I'd appreciate it. Just lots of copy, paste, and typing to fit the JSON format.

If you notice any data issues, please let me know.

Hi, is therre any wauy i can modify an adversary before hand and save them for a later day. It seems when i try to add custom adversaries and close down my browser, when i come back in they are gone. Am I doing something stupid?

You're not being dumb, no. The site doesn't yet have the functionality to save your custom adversaries. However, I see the original Star Wars one does in the latest version, so once I figure out how to upgrade my code to use the latest version, you should be able to export them.

It's been a long time, but I thought I'd let people know that I've added a few more of the SotC adversaries.