Empire skirmish AT-ST list??

By drail14me, in Army Building

I’ve entered into my first Skirmish format tournament and wanted to take an Empire AT-ST list. Here’s what I came up with. I’ve only played a few games so any suggestions would be appreciated. I do know I’ll face at least one Droid list in the tournament. Never played against either of the new factions.

Van’s Skirmish (496/500)
Empire

General Veers (80)
- Electrobinoculars (8)
= 88 total points

Shoretroopers (52)
- Offensive Push (4)
= 56 total points

Shoretroopers (52)
- Offensive Push (4)
= 56 total points

DF-90 Mortar Trooper (36)

E-Web Heavy Blaster Team (55)

AT-ST (170)
- Linked Targeting Array (5)
- 88 Twin Light Blaster Cannon (20)
- Imperial Hammers Elite Armor Pilot (10)
= 205 total points

Commands: Maximum Firepower, Ambush, Pinned Down, Push, Imperial Discipline, Coordinated Fire, Standing Orders

I’m a big fan of the AT-ST, my only question would be how the list handles strong melee characters, I’ve seen commander Luke take down an AT-ST in 2 rounds, operative Luke could do it quicker.

I’d say some Royal Guard, but you’d sacrifice your activation count a fair bit and boba, Vader aren’t any cheaper alternatives, so you need to remove any of those big fast moving threats ASAP.

Edited by Digimortal

Im brand new to Legion and looking at running a pretty much identical list to this.

Do the recent rule changes to Shoretroopers have much effect on how this list plays? Or not something to be too concerned about?

On 2/29/2020 at 6:15 PM, Digimortal said:

I’m a big fan of the AT-ST, my only question would be how the list handles strong melee characters, I’ve seen commander Luke take down an AT-ST in 2 rounds, operative Luke could do it quicker.

I’d say some Royal Guard, but you’d sacrifice your activation count a fair bit and boba, Vader aren’t any cheaper alternatives, so you need to remove any of those big fast moving threats ASAP.

I played against a Dooku with five B1 units. Dooku ran from cover to cover trying to stay hidden. Got a head shot against Dooku in the third round behind heavy cover and put three wounds on him. The other player didn’t want to bring him out of cover after that. Pretty much negated Dooku. AT-ST didn’t take a wound the whole game.

I don't think the worry of this list would be that the AT-ST would die thats near impossible to do. What would be worrying is your activation count and the fact that your entire army is focused on one unit that can't score objectives super well. If you can get an objective such as elimination, you may as well not even play the game this list will rock. But otherwise, I think your opponent would easily be able to just ignore the AT-ST and play to the objective and win that way. The AT-ST is significantly better in skirmish than in an 800 pt game but in my experience it still doesnt pack enough punch to be worth it

3 hours ago, bllaw said:

I don't think the worry of this list would be that the AT-ST would die thats near impossible to do. What would be worrying is your activation count and the fact that your entire army is focused on one unit that can't score objectives super well. If you can get an objective such as elimination, you may as well not even play the game this list will rock. But otherwise, I think your opponent would easily be able to just ignore the AT-ST and play to the objective and win that way. The AT-ST is significantly better in skirmish than in an 800 pt game but in my experience it still doesnt pack enough punch to be worth it

I think you underestimate the ATST, or at the very least have not considered the skirmish Victory Point cards well enough.

Elimination: easy, kill stuff and don’t die, probably the ideal card for a list with ATST in it. Also you will likely have less activations so less points your opponent can potentially score.

Breach: killing units so your opponent has less to score points with at the end of the game also can quite likely get to a point scoring position and still shoot due to its long range, pretty good really.

Pivotal positions: not sure what the technicalities on this one are but if you pick a piece of terrain small enough that the ATST Base covers it your opponent can never contest it? Feels like there is a rule I might be missing here but if not you have locked one objective and can focus the rest on fighting for another of the 2 objectives all the while the ATST kills more enemy troops.

Control: This ones probably the worst but not insurmountable as the ATST still counts as a unit leader so can still contest while devastating your opponents troops.

I've not played a whole lot of skirmish so my theory might be off base but I feel that the ATST is a very powerful unit in Skirmish.

Edit:

Also to the OP I feel like you are almost overdoing it on the aim tokens, with the binoculars, 2 x push and the targeting Array but no heavies on the troops, I would suggest streamlining the upgrades and getting some more consistency in, maybe something like this:

500/500
General Veers (80 + 0 = 80)

Shoretroopers (52 + 32 = 84)
--T-21B Trooper (32)

Stormtroopers (44 + 24 = 68)
--DLT-19 Stormtrooper (24)

AT-ST (170 + 30 = 200)
--Imperial Hammers Elite Armor Pilot (10), 88 Twin Light Blaster Cannon (20)
Just a thought
Edited by Mace Windu
19 hours ago, Mace Windu said:

I think you underestimate the ATST, or at the very least have not considered the skirmish Victory Point cards well enough.

All I'm saying is from my experience it is extremely underwhelming in a skirmish and very easy to ignore

21 hours ago, Mace Windu said:

Elimination: easy, kill stuff and don’t die, probably the ideal card for a list with ATST in it. Also you will likely have less activations so less points your opponent can potentially score.

Breach: killing units so your opponent has less to score points with at the end of the game also can quite likely get to a point scoring position and still shoot due to its long range, pretty good really.

Pivotal positions: not sure what the technicalities on this one are but if you pick a piece of terrain small enough that the ATST Base covers it your opponent can never contest it? Feels like there is a rule I might be missing here but if not you have locked one objective and can focus the rest on fighting for another of the 2 objectives all the while the ATST kills more enemy troops.

Control: This ones probably the worst but not insurmountable as the ATST still counts as a unit leader so can still contest while devastating your opponents troops.

I've not played a whole lot of skirmish so my theory might be off base but I feel that the ATST is a very powerful unit in Skirmish.

Edit:

Also to the OP I feel like you are almost overdoing it on the aim tokens, with the binoculars, 2 x push and the targeting Array but no heavies on the troops, I would suggest streamlining the upgrades and getting some more consistency in, maybe something like this:

500/500
General Veers (80 + 0 = 80)

Shoretroopers (52 + 32 = 84)
--T-21B Trooper (32)

AT-ST (170 + 30 = 200)
--Imperial Hammers Elite Armor Pilot (10), 88 Twin Light Blaster Cannon (20)
Just a thought

Thanks for the list suggestions. I over did it on the aim tokens on purpose as I typically need them. If there is a blank to be rolled, I roll it. I’ve sent aim tokens to reroll 4 blanks into 4 blanks. It’s just how I roll.

I was on the receiving end of an AT-ST Skirmish list several times. I never could find an answer for it other than to hide and ignore it yet it still crushed me.

18 minutes ago, drail14me said:

Thanks for the list suggestions. I over did it on the aim tokens on purpose as I typically need them. If there is a blank to be rolled, I roll it. I’ve sent aim tokens to reroll 4 blanks into 4 blanks. It’s just how I roll.

I was on the receiving end of an AT-ST Skirmish list several times. I never could find an answer for it other than to hide and ignore it yet it still crushed me.

I think you will find the new tanks (Saber more so than AAT) to be even worse as they have Red defense instead of white surge. The AAT at least means the CIS army is severely low on activations ( and quality ones at that) while the GAR can get 5 decent activations with a Saber. I'm not sure the AT-ST would even be an answer for them.

On 3/3/2020 at 3:54 PM, drail14me said:

I played against a Dooku with five B1 units. Dooku ran from cover to cover trying to stay hidden. Got a head shot against Dooku in the third round behind heavy cover and put three wounds on him. The other player didn’t want to bring him out of cover after that. Pretty much negated Dooku. AT-ST didn’t take a wound the whole game.

Nice, that’s kind of the point, the AT-ST needs to use its height to cancel those threats, Jump I found was the tricky skill to deal with as they can get behind los blockers and leap into the ATST weak point for added effect.

On 3/7/2020 at 11:10 AM, Digimortal said:

Nice, that’s kind of the point, the AT-ST needs to use its height to cancel those threats, Jump I found was the tricky skill to deal with as they can get behind los blockers and leap into the ATST weak point for added effect.

I’ve never played anyone that used Jump. Thanks for the reminder on that. I’ll have to pay attention.

It looks like I’ll be playing against one of the new Clone tanks in an upcoming tournament. Wondering how this list would handle it?

I to think something similar to the second list is the way to go. The heavy weapons are the reason you take shoretroopers and the stormtroopers will help you with other vehicles.