New Fiction - Cold Autumn Harvest

By Tonbo Karasu, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

4 hours ago, Schmoozies said:

It does lead back to everything about the deal being so in favour of the Lion and counter to thee interests of the Unicorn and the only way that the deal could really have gotten through on both sides is if there was a hand moving behind the scenes to move the negotiations towards a goal of inciting strife rather then quelling it, and that leads to my theory that Ide Tadaji and Ujiaki are both Kolat and were conspiring to get their clans to step up tensions as a tool to destabilize the Empire.

Land, steeds, your Clan Champion, bear witness to a senseless suicide. Each step of this ‘peace’ treaty is to find the Unicorn’s breaking point. Immediately after it happens, each domino is ready to go. Shono’s fiancée is sent to secure their claim on those treaty lands, so that even in defeat they can point to the perfidity of the Unicorn. Troops led by a ‘moderate’ are shorted supplies and pressed to raid the Unicorn’s tax base, weakening their Imperial support while using a disposable force that can be tied to Toturi, the Regent’s (presumed) rival if someone has to go under the bus.

Since ‘ronin’ captured K̶u̶r̶o̶h̶i̶t̶o̶ Kuwanan after Arasou’s death, the Lion-Crane war has been Tsuko’s personal project. But Lion-Unicorn? That’s an Ikoma plan that seems to be going rather well for them. After all, the Unicorn have no allies, the Dragon being occupied in the capital and the Crane tied up retaking Kyuden Kakita. If they can keep the Throne from backing the Unicorn, the Lion obviously believe they’ll win. They might be right.

Edited by Doji Hyōkin
Name correction and preserving my shame.
28 minutes ago, Doji Hyōkin said:

Since ‘ronin’ captured Kurohito after Arasou’s death, the Lion-Crane war has been Tsuko’s personal project....

There's a blast from the past--or, more correctly, the future (relative to this timeline). I assume you meant Kuwanan. And I'm not just nitpicking; newer players and fans might see that name and begin scrambling to find out who this "Kurohito" guy is...

22 minutes ago, DGLaderoute said:

There's a blast from the past--or, more correctly, the future (relative to this timeline). I assume you meant Kuwanan. And I'm not just nitpicking; newer players and fans might see that name and begin scrambling to find out who this "Kurohito" guy is...

ah , now you ruined the fun. I mean technically its sort of correct as the swimmers that lead to him are in there with Kuwanan.

Edited by Schmoozies
3 hours ago, Schmoozies said:

ah , now you ruined the fun. I mean technically its sort of correct as the swimmers that lead to him are in there with Kuwanan.

The ronin only captured 50% of Kurohito.

On the issue of the Ikoma trying to, as @Doji Hyōkin put it, "find the Unicorn's breaking point"- if you look at what the Unicorn were willing to give up for nothing but a somewhat nebulous "peace"?

Of course people who tend to view their army as a solution for all of their woes is going to be gung-ho for the war- after all, anyone willing to give up so much must be afraid of war with you! What other reason could they have for enduring so many insults at your hands?

I'm pretty sure the Ikoma leadership mixed up in this think they can clean the Unicorn's clocks, based on the impression they got during the negotiations.

10 hours ago, Shiba Gunichi said:

On the issue of the Ikoma trying to, as @Doji Hyōkin put it, "find the Unicorn's breaking point"- if you look at what the Unicorn were willing to give up for nothing but a somewhat nebulous "peace"?

Of course people who tend to view their army as a solution for all of their woes is going to be gung-ho for the war- after all, anyone willing to give up so much must be afraid of war with you! What other reason could they have for enduring so many insults at your hands?

I'm pretty sure the Ikoma leadership mixed up in this think they can clean the Unicorn's clocks, based on the impression they got during the negotiations.

I think they thought that before the negotiations and likely had that reinforced by the negotiations. The real question is how true may be it.

Lion is the "largest" standing army in the empire and their whole shtick is we fight wars, they were surprised by the return of the Unicorn and struggled against their unique tactics and mobility initially, however once they were able to pen in the Unicorn were starting to inflict greater casualties even on that initial engagements. The O5R lore had it that they and their Scorpion allies were starting to drive the Unicorn back before the Hantei stepped in and recognized them as the Children of Shinjo and called the Lion and Scorpion off. Since then the Lion have had 400 years to evaluate their performance and prepare counter tactics so may be thinking we got this.

On the other hand the Unicorn have a pretty significant trump card they could likely play in the Moto Horde. We can't be sure if the Lion are aware just how many Unicorn are outside of the Empire and ready to answer the call of the Khan if required.

Ikoma Tsanuri is on her way to becoming my favorite Lion character. Like Toturi, she has her faults and inner conflicts, but like Toturi, she fights those battles as an honorable - and, I daresay, even compassionate - person. She seems rather like a mirror of Utaku Kamoko who, despite coming from the Clan of compassion, I feel is rather lacking in that department.

Also, send word to us, Tsanuri! We shall instruct the Kitsuki to hound Ikoma Ujiaki as they hound the Scorpion - with great enthusiasm, and for the good of the Empire.