Obstacle deployment on 3x3

By ArmadaMatt, in Star Wars: Armada Rules Questions

I'm trying to find a definitive answer, although perhaps one doesn't exist.

On a 3x3 play area, are obstacles deployed:

1. Distance 3 from all edges
  2. Only distance 3 from the players' edges

I see a few previous threads arguing both ways. The setup diagram for 3x3 on the Armada wiki seems to indicate option #2. I don't have access to Vassal right now, but I seem to remember it, too, indicates option #2?

I can see the argument for option #1 from the RRG section on startup, but I also note that those rules are for a standard 3x6 game. And maybe the distance 3 mentioned in step 5 is so you don't place obstacles in deployment zones?

Thanks in advance!

There are two functioning areas during setup: the play area and the set-up area.

In a standard game, the play area is 3'x6' and the set-up area is 3'x4'. The requirements for placing obstacles are:

• In the setup area
  • Distance 3 from all play area edges
  • Distance 1 from each other

In a task force game, the play area is 3'x3' and the set-up area is 3'x3' (From the RitR manual "The entire play area is the setup area."). The rules do not change the requirements for placing obstacles, so they are still:

• In the setup area (this is the full 3'x3')
  • Distance 3 from all play area edges
  • Distance 1 from each other

So in terms of your question, number 1 is the correct way for placing obstacles.

Edited by Astrodar
grammar

There is no change in obstacle numbers on a 3x3 map?

On 2/26/2020 at 9:40 AM, ArmadaMatt said:

I'm trying to find a definitive answer, although perhaps one doesn't exist.

On a 3x3 play area, are obstacles deployed:

1. Distance 3 from all edges
  2. Only distance 3 from the players' edges

I see a few previous threads arguing both ways. The setup diagram for 3x3 on the Armada wiki seems to indicate option #2. I don't have access to Vassal right now, but I seem to remember it, too, indicates option #2?

I can see the argument for option #1 from the RRG section on startup, but I also note that those rules are for a standard 3x6 game. And maybe the distance 3 mentioned in step 5 is so you don't place obstacles in deployment zones?

Thanks in advance!

This was just updated with the most recent errata. Obstacles must be at least distance 3 from the player edges and at least distance 1 from non player edges.

I like it! Distance 3 just feels like too much on a 3x3 area.

Get Cozy .

42 minutes ago, ArmadaMatt said:

I like it! Distance 3 just feels like too much on a 3x3 area.

1 hour ago, Astrodar said:

This was just updated with the most recent errata. Obstacles must be at least distance 3 from the player edges and at least distance 1 from non player edges.

Where is this errata?

In the FAQ they just posted today.

Just now, SirToastsalot said:

In the FAQ they just posted today.

Thanks. Where’s that found?

Here

Edited by SirToastsalot
23 hours ago, Cpt ObVus said:

Thanks. Where’s that found?

Specifically, it's on page 5, "Setup Area"