RPG division is not shutting down confirmed!!!!

By bigwebb24, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Roleplaying Game

Talked about it on ffg live my screenshots are to big to post. Bottom line up from RPG’s will continue there will be a announcement about the rumors soon.

Awesome

Great news, I guess? The communication from FFG has been terrible of late, and the delivery of misleading information has not been well received buy the community at large.

Was Katrina Ostrander comment on that matter misleading then?

I BELIEVE NOTHING ANYMORE

1 hour ago, bigwebb24 said:

Talked about it on ffg live my screenshots are to big to post. Bottom line up from RPG’s will continue there will be a announcement about the rumors soon.

Do you have a link where we can view this episode of ffg live?

11 minutes ago, player2872143 said:

Do you have a link where we can view this episode of ffg live?

word for word the guy responsible for Twitch chat for FFGlive said: "The RPGs will continue, we have an announcement on that soonish".

doesn't say anything about an RPG "division" though, nor which or what RPG will continue.

They played Star Wars X-Wing on today's live stream. They really needed to get this out, I guess. At what time was this said? The video of the livestream, which ended about 2h ago, is already available on Twitch.

2 hours ago, Avatar111 said:

word for word the guy responsible for Twitch chat for FFGlive said: "The RPGs will continue, we have an announcement on that soonish".

doesn't say anything about an RPG "division" though, nor which or what RPG will continue.

Question 1

Actually i asked two questions is it true that the rpg division is shutting down?

answer

”RPG is not shutting down. We will have more information about that in the future.

question 2 Will the L5R rpg continue?

Answer

RPGs will continue. We will have a announcement soonish.

Asmodee will merge all their RPG divisions probably ?

Considering that yesterday (Feb 24th) we got confirmation of a Phoenix Source Book (Celestial Realms) as well as an adventure when prior to that there was nothing else officially announced certainly gives me hope. I hope there is also a Dragon and Unicorn sourcebook and adventure in the pipe as well. And before I get hounded, yes I do want a Scorpion and Lion focused book, but my preference is Dragon followed by Unicorn, then Scorpion and Lion.

Asmodee is likely shuffling RPGs to another sub-company.

Source ?

1 minute ago, ludo199 said:

Source ?

As mentioned, it was mentioned briefly during the FFGLive Twitch stream this last Tuesday (2/25), with the mentioning of an announcement soonish.

1582697910820.png

I can't wait for this announcement. They kinda have alot of uncertainty floating around from a customer's perspective. It would be nice to get some updates about the studio itself. You hear some crazy speculation out there considering the silence.

I'm sure Katrina was giving the answer she had at the time. I wonder if the livestream comment was just in regards to the fact that the RPG lines still have product in the pipeline. Therefore there will still be RPG releases. Also it could be that the when Katrina made the comment the RPG's were effectively shuttered, but now they have some other more cost effective plan forward like digital only distribution, using more contract labor to continue the lines or licensing out the RPGs to another studio. FFG books are unusually well produced for your average RPG supplement. They are WOTC, Paizo or MCG level productions. If they aren't getting that level of sales to back it up I can see where the problem comes in here.

In any event Katrina's rehiring makes me think the FFG RPGs and fictions won't completely disappear. They'll just exist in some new way.

So, no announcement yet, if we are ever going to have one?

I mean, I don't know how their business model is how their profit margins are. And for L5R, which is MOST DEFINITELY a niche product even if with a loyal fan base, their new edition definitely could have been better polished instead of spending money with extremely beautiful and colorful books that made possibly half the fan base stick with the 4th edition and the other half arguing about if the 5th edition could have improvements or it is fine as it is?

5 hours ago, Diogo Salazar said:

So, no announcement yet, if we are ever going to have one?

I mean, I don't know how their business model is how their profit margins are. And for L5R, which is MOST DEFINITELY a niche product even if with a loyal fan base, their new edition definitely could have been better polished instead of spending money with extremely beautiful and colorful books that made possibly half the fan base stick with the 4th edition and the other half arguing about if the 5th edition could have improvements or it is fine as it is?

Oh I'm sue there is an edition war going on right now. The question is, can a niche product like L5R survive through it.

21 minutes ago, BlindSamurai13 said:

Oh I'm sue there is an edition war going on right now. The question is, can a niche product like L5R survive through it.

That would be sad. 5e is a product with so much potential.

With the special dice and some funky, clunky rule decisions though, it seems it doesn't really click with neither some of the classic fanbase, nor fully with some narrative minded folks. And, it is slightly unwieldy for newcomers.

I really do hope it can continue... at the same time, it really is stuck between a rock and a hard place. For a product with that epic of a production value, the struggle will not be easy to overcome, and a GO from the people in charge of budgeting could be difficult to get.

But no matter what, I will keep having fun in Rokugan 5e for a good while! If you can deal with the hurdles, there are great stories to be told with that game.

3 hours ago, Avatar111 said:

With the special dice and some funky, clunky rule decisions though, it seems it doesn't really click with neither some of the classic fanbase, nor fully with some narrative minded folks. And, it is slightly unwieldy for newcomers.

You are too polite to say the least. I kind of understand the special dice from a commercial point of view but I guess it will be a hindrance for new players. It's not like L5R is a worldly know IP like Star Wars or even A Song of Ice and Fire, if FFG decides to create an RPG based on ASoIaF. So that's already something they made that might push away potential new players.

The rules, for all that is Tainted, the rules. They don't work half the time they are supposed to and in the end, it's best to avoid rolls as much as possible in this game.

AEG L5R was mostly played on a epic and heroic mood, now it's FFG L5R is a samurai drama with a rules system that thought it was supposed to be for an action game and changed its mind halfway and now is neither. And that's another stuff that can push new players away, they might have heard of L5R before and thought it was still an epic/heroic samurai game, and it's now a samurai drama game with rules that don't work half the time. It's a lot of investment for group of new players to make

1 hour ago, Diogo Salazar said:

You are too polite to say the least. I kind of understand the special dice from a commercial point of view but I guess it will be a hindrance for new players. It's not like L5R is a worldly know IP like Star Wars or even A Song of Ice and Fire, if FFG decides to create an RPG based on ASoIaF. So that's already something they made that might push away potential new players.

The rules, for all that is Tainted, the rules. They don't work half the time they are supposed to and in the end, it's best to avoid rolls as much as possible in this game.

AEG L5R was mostly played on a epic and heroic mood, now it's FFG L5R is a samurai drama with a rules system that thought it was supposed to be for an action game and changed its mind halfway and now is neither. And that's another stuff that can push new players away, they might have heard of L5R before and thought it was still an epic/heroic samurai game, and it's now a samurai drama game with rules that don't work half the time. It's a lot of investment for group of new players to make

Lol, you are worst than me!

At this point the product won't become something that it isn't...

Tough pill to swallow, but, it's just a game. You can be mad at FFG for how they designed it (and I think we were right to expect a better and more polished/tested system), but at this point, it is about enjoying what there is or just not play it. Because FFG won't all of a sudden try to fix it. And I'd rather have a flawed product than none at all... I like the setting and the lore that much! And I fear we won't see anything new L5R for a looong while.

6 hours ago, Diogo Salazar said:

if FFG decides to create an RPG based on ASoIaF

A Song of Ice and Fire RPG already exists, so they'd have to persuade someone else to sell them the IP first.

3 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

A Song of Ice and Fire RPG already exists, so they'd have to persuade someone else to sell them the IP first.

Yeah, I know it exists, I guess I meant to say, if somehow the license for ASoIaF RPG is up for grabs and FFG decides to try to get it. After all, they already have the license for a a card game.

8 hours ago, Avatar111 said:

Lol, you are worst than me!

Tough pill to swallow, but, it's just a game. ...

Oh, I know it's just a game. It's just that you kind of have high hopes for something you are passionate about and then you get disappointed with the final product.

They sure had some great ideas, like decoupling Rings from Skills and the schools now have curricula for advancement, and Strife, but then I take a look at the Conflict chapter and I can't help but wonder what the **** was going on.

And kind of the same thing with the card game. The old game would take 1 hour at most, now it can take easily 90 minutes and then you can't play against multiple people either...

Edited by Diogo Salazar
1 hour ago, Diogo Salazar said:

Yeah, I know it exists, I guess I meant to say, if somehow the license for ASoIaF RPG is up for grabs and FFG decides to try to get it. After all, they already have the license for a a card game.

Oh, I know it's just a game. It's just that you kind of have high hopes for something you are passionate about and then you get disappointed with the final product.

They sure had some great ideas, like decoupling Rings from Skills and the schools now have curricula for advancement, and Strife, but then I take a look at the Conflict chapter and I can't help but wonder what the **** was going on.

And kind of the same thing with the card game. The old game would take 1 hour at most, now it can take easily 90 minutes and then you can't play against multiple people either...

I think you can play against multiple people now with the card game.

But yeah, I think rule-wise they mostly failed with L5R. Not bad, but clearly not well thought of.
L5Rrpg was given to relatively newcomers to the TTRPG design genre, it is totally invisible from the scene and social media, while it is decent, it just isn't a "great" design.

Also, the Middle Earth RPG liscence just went to FreeLeaguePublishing (smaller TTRPG studio)... Go figure...

And FFG just lost one of their senior card game designer (Brad Anders), add this to the long list of top employees who also left FFG in the last year (from their owner, to studio director, to their most senior designers etc.. big names).

Definitely, they are in a heavy storm right now. Lots of changes are happening. We have no clue what these are!
I guess we can only wish them good luck while they figure out their transition period.