Infested Fields and Overlapping

By Rayster, in Star Wars: Armada Rules Questions

I was playing a game the other day and had an odd situation arise that I'd like some help sussing out. I chose Infested Fields as the objective. The question came from the wording of the special rule, "When a ship or squadron overlaps an obstacle, that ship or squadron's owner can remove the objective token on the obstacle and gain (1) victory token." The obstacles were placed in such a way that my opponent could deploy his squads overlapping a few of the obstacles. Does deployment count as an overlap and thus give my opponent an easy way to take an early lead?

Deployment or placement does not satisfy how "overlapping" is defined in RRG.

So, no.

Again, something may be "technically" overlapping by definition, but again, not as it is defined as a game term.

Edited by Karneck
7 minutes ago, Rayster said:

I was playing a game the other day and had an odd situation arise that I'd like some help sussing out. I chose Infested Fields as the objective. The question came from the wording of the special rule, "When a ship or squadron overlaps an obstacle, that ship or squadron's owner can remove the objective token on the obstacle and gain (1) victory token." The obstacles were placed in such a way that my opponent could deploy his squads overlapping a few of the obstacles. Does deployment count as an overlap and thus give my opponent an easy way to take an early lead?

“Overlapping” in terms of Armada can only occur during movement. As such, deploying on an obstacle would not allow a squadron to collect an objective token. The same would be true for if a ship overlapped a squadron during a movement, and the squadron was then placed on top of an obstacle (but still touching the ship that overlapped it). Since it was placed, and was not moving, it would not collect a token.

Ninja’d!

Edited by Astrodar