Admiral Calkins' Separatist Army

By Admiral Calkins, in Painting

I bought my first Legion Expansion (B1 Battle Droids Upgrade Expansion) just because I really wanted to paint some Battle Droids. I enjoyed it some much (and they came out better than expected) it looks like I'll be buying some more to paint, maybe even play with them at some point. Hopefully they came out good!

Wld3Pl2.jpg

JFow7lH.jpg

vSfdRUQ.jpg

taSH154.jpg

RXfoVzl.jpg

Edited by Admiral Calkins
Changed the Title of the Thread

Nice job.

I highly recommend you to base them. They will "pop" more after that :)

I pre-ordered the b2 super battle Droid and the BX. One box of each, the minis look so beautiful, you should have a look at them.

Nice work!

On @Krakus ' recommendation (Thanks!), I worked on the bases at little on my B1 Battle Droids (Upgrade Expansion).

yR2HOnn.jpg

Eg3zsWE.jpg

After seeing how these turned out, I also purchased the Clone Wars Core Set, B1 Battle Droids Unit Expansion, B2 Super Battle Droids Unit Expansion, and the Count Dooku Commander Expansion, so I'll be posting those once I receive and get a chance to paint them.

QTVibQ2.jpg

LWN4Evx.jpg

Finally got around to painting the Droideka Unit Expansion as well, which turned out better than I expected.

p2yGZRr.jpg

HA0I4Yb.jpg

ik4McdR.jpg

I got my B2 Super Battle Droids Unit Expansion in this Friday and immediately got to painting them as well. These really didn't take too much effort to look table ready. The rest of my order should be coming in later this week.

Very well done

I do not have my b2s yet :(

Dooku and Grivious are two very beautiful minis. I which you pleasure while painting them

4 hours ago, Admiral Calkins said:

p2yGZRr.jpg

HA0I4Yb.jpg

ik4McdR.jpg

I got my B2 Super Battle Droids Unit Expansion in this Friday and immediately got to painting them as well. These really didn't take too much effort to look table ready. The rest of my order should be coming in later this week.

How did you go about painting them? I want to say it's just some GW leadbetcher but the lighting make's it look like an off grey/blue metallic colour.

5 hours ago, Shadowcat123 said:

How did you go about painting them? I want to say it's just some GW leadbetcher but the lighting make's it look like an off grey/blue metallic colour.

I primed them in Chaos Black before layering them in Leadbelcher. I then washed them in Nuln Oil, putting a large amount on the central joint to darken it a little more. I used Mephiston Red for the light and Abaddon Black for the cannon (with Leadbelcher for wear). For the base, I started with a layer Agrellan Badland and the topped in with a thicker layer of Martian Ironcrust.

6 hours ago, Admiral Calkins said:

I primed them in Chaos Black before layering them in Leadbelcher. I then washed them in Nuln Oil, putting a large amount on the central joint to darken it a little more. I used Mephiston Red for the light and Abaddon Black for the cannon (with Leadbelcher for wear). For the base, I started with a layer Agrellan Badland and the topped in with a thicker layer of Martian Ironcrust.

Nice, I have been testing with trying to get that metallic blue grey look from the movies and clone wars, but the lighting in your picture looked spot on for that so was thought you might have done more. Good to know that just belcher looks god though nice work on the B2s! I am stuck waiting to even see mine.

mywXGf7.jpg

ZnjI5yq.jpg

agWnvmU.jpg

Just finished Count Dooku for my Separatist Army. I am pretty impressed with myself, as I am generally only good with more symmetrical, non-humanoid miniatures (such as droids, ships, or squadrons), but I still have some more practice to get from good to great. The hardest part for me was definitely the eyes. Now it's time to paint General Grievous and the rest of the Clone Wars Core Set. Hope you enjoy these pictures.

SIFmUw7.jpg

s49gCyY.jpg

5Op1gjd.jpg

S6TwBKW.jpg

Got a little more free time than anticipated today and was able to finish General Grievous. While not terribly difficult, this model definitely took a long time to complete (it was pretty fun too). Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Lot's of job well done in this thread!

Forgive me, but of all of them my heart goes to the B1 leader unit whose "over THERE, morons!" pose gives me happy little flashbacks to all the comic relief B1 moments from the Clone Wars series.

10 hours ago, Ryfterek said:

Forgive me, but of all of them my heart goes to the B1 leader unit whose "over THERE, morons!" pose gives me happy little flashbacks to all the comic relief B1 moments from the Clone Wars series.

Thank you very much. That's what I was going for. It's the sole reason I got into Legion, just to paint (and maybe even play) a Separatist Army chock full of B1s that are absolutely unable to adapt to a Jedi, a squad of Clone Troopers, or the loss of their Tactical Droid.

ULFwzhp.jpg

5Dln39r.jpg

NVoBST4.jpg

zMQmrKc.jpg

Finally got a good assembly line (sorry, Dad joke) going for the B1s from the Clone Wars Core Set and the B1 Battle Droids Unit Expansion. I also completed the barricades for the Core Set. I have to check the points, but with Count Dooku, Droidekas, B2s, and all my B1s, I should have more than enough to finally put a full Separatist Army on the table.

AtOFDb8.jpg

IPM7NY6.jpg

AZIqR7i.jpg

CEkilda.jpg

Finally picked up my pre-order of the AAT Trade Federation Battle Tank. While it took a long time to finish, this was an extremely fun model to assemble and paint. I did my best with the rust and weathering, but I didn't want to overdo it (as it's not my specialty). Even if I never put this on the table, this miniature is still going to look beautiful on my shelf.

Looks amazing! Only thing I would do is add the brown stripe on the back of the lower hull found on thr AATs in ep.1. Breaks up the flat tone of the tan. Great work

1udQlns.jpg

qMnBSeE.jpg

djlzhCm.jpg

ROgbeod.jpg

Finally opened up my Droid Commandos and put some paint on them. After priming them in Chaos Black, used Dawnstone as the base, Mournfang Brown for the joints, and Ulthuan Grey for the eyes, with Nuln Oil for the wash. Going to try to knock out Cad Bane tomorrow.