Clarification on Veteran Turret Gunner

By topacesteve, in X-Wing Rules Questions

Hello, if i have my Dorsal Turret facing front on my Ywing, can i attack with primary front and turret front?

We had interpreted that the turret arc was the same as the forward primary firng arc so the turret should point elsewhere for VTG to work

5 minutes ago, topacesteve said:

Hello, if i have my Dorsal Turret facing front on my Ywing, can i attack with primary front and turret front?

Yes.

On 2/22/2020 at 2:30 AM, topacesteve said:

We had interpreted that the turret arc was the same as the forward primary firng arc so the turret should point elsewhere for VTG to work

I think it's interesting to think about how things could be different, if this was correct.

Veteran Turret Gunner, right now, is priced incredibly high, because it allows something like a Y-Wing to attack twice at the same target. This essentially makes it impossible for something like a YT-1300 to take Veteran Turret Gunner, since it's so expensive.

If you couldn't use the same side with VTG, if you had to use different quadrants of the ship, it could probably be a lot cheaper. It'd be a nice perk for a Starfortress, with a 3-dice front and a 2-dice side attack, and it'd be something that maybe a Millennium Falcon would consider from time to time. At 10 points? Not worth it. At 4? Well, if it happens once every two games, then it might be worthwhile.

Now, the example that might get discussed is Veteran Tail Gunner, and how that's never used. Which is true. But there's basically only one ship which can use it--the ARC-170--and a 2-dice rear gun isn't too impressive. I suspect that if the Firespray had a native Gunner slot and not one they had to add via a title, Tail Gunner would be at least decent, since you'd have an actually mobile ship with a 3-dice rear gun.

But this is way off-topic...

Edited by theBitterFig
9 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

But there's basically only one ship which can use it--the ARC-170

Marauder Firespray can also use it.

Problem in both cases is its difficult to make use of it too often without that ship putting itself in high risk situations to do it, as most people tend to keep their ships somewhat close by for ability ranges.

16 hours ago, topacesteve said:

Its a bit weird, but there are two answers here.

To your question, yes, you can attack with both, as clarified by Rules Reference pg 29.

Qfr5OLW.png

To your assumption about the forward arc and turret, that is one pg 4.

The standard arc that the turret arc indicator is pointing toward is a [turret] in addition to still being a standard arc.

This may seem confusing, but what it means is, if the turret is pointed at the forward arc, it will trigger abilities requiring turret arcs, as well as forward arcs. However when you make a Forward Arc attack, you are Only attacking with that forward Arc, not with both. Thats why the FAQ above works.

2 hours ago, Lyianx said:

Marauder Firespray can also use it.

Problem in both cases is its difficult to make use of it too often without that ship putting itself in high risk situations to do it, as most people tend to keep their ships somewhat close by for ability ranges.

I'd meant only one ship normally. Marauder can do the trick, but that essentially makes VTLG cost 10 points, and that's really out of sorts.

If a regular Firespray could bring VTLG for 4, I think it'd probably be reasonable.

Generics probably consider it. I don't think there'd be anything better for trip Bounty Hunters, and 2x Bounty + something might well consider it. Boba/Koshka wouldn't find the points, but Boba/Fenn probably would. Is it a use-always tool? No, but at 4 points rather than 10, it doesn't have to be.

Don't forget the VCX-100 with a shuttle in the back!

...on second thought, that's a terrible idea, please forget it...

42 minutes ago, emeraldbeacon said:

Don't forget the VCX-100 with a shuttle in the back!

...on second thought, that's a terrible idea, please forget it...

You actually can't take tail Gunner on the VCX because you need a rear arc to equip it and that ship does not have a rear arc during squad building.

Yes you can...

By the way I dont understand why Veteran Turret Gunner is priced incredib ly high for the small ship ?

I think he should be 7/7/5/5 and max cost of 9/9/7/7.

28 minutes ago, soonbaron said:

Yes you can...

By the way I dont understand why Veteran Turret Gunner is priced incredib ly high for the small ship ?

I think he should be 7/7/5/5 and max cost of 9/9/7/7.

Because it allows you to fire twice at the same target if your ship has a fixed front arc primary and a turret attack if your mobile arc is facing forward. Veteran Turret Gunner used to be cheaper, and it created a lot of oppressive builds. For example, you used to be able to field five Y-wings with a turret and Veteran Turret Gunner, which would hypothetically allow you to concentrate 10 attacks on a single target.

If Veteran Turret Gunner cost 9 points on a small base, you'd be able to field 5 Republic Y-wings with VTG and dorsal turret.

Edited by Maui.