Ignition and Depowered Armament

By Rayster, in Star Wars: Armada Rules Questions

So, I had an interesting interaction the other day: My opponent's Onager got the Depowered Armament crit ("You cannot attack at long range") while I had a ship at extreme range. RAW seems to indicate that he could continue to shoot me until I could reach long but this seems a bit off thematically. If the ship cannot shoot at long range then it really shouldn't be able to shoot at extreme range, thematically. Is this the correct way to interpret the card?

34 minutes ago, Rayster said:

So, I had an interesting interaction the other day: My opponent's Onager got the Depowered Armament crit ("You cannot attack at long range") while I had a ship at extreme range. RAW seems to indicate that he could continue to shoot me until I could reach long but this seems a bit off thematically. If the ship cannot shoot at long range then it really shouldn't be able to shoot at extreme range, thematically. Is this the correct way to interpret the card?

Yep. Long range is not extreme range.

The guns on the Onager are losing power, but the primary cannons remain functional because the captain knows if they’re down it’s all over, even if he has to divert power from the hangar shields and suck a few Stormtroopers into space. 😉

37 minutes ago, Rayster said:

Interpret yes, but not how it actually works. If the card only says "long range" then it doesn't affect extreme range unless we get an errata.

If not one could argue that "large ship only" upgrades can be added to a huge ship because it's intended for big ships, but that's not how it works.

At long range all the Onager's targets are listing lazily to the left.

Yup. Long is not extreme.

So if the ship is at long, no shooty.

Yeah, as Jabbawookiee said you can kinda come up with all sorts of explanations why you might target a ship at extreme but not long... maybe there’s a dead spot in the malfunctioning sensor array, and the gunnery captain can’t get a firing solution at long, but medium and extreme ranges are working fine?