Recap NomFangs vs Kaz/T-70's

By Kleeg005, in X-Wing Battle Reports

Managed to get two games last night. I had three Fearless Skulls and Nom Lumb with Autoblasters/Contrabands/Dengar. He had two Heroic Red Vets, Jess, and a fat Kaz (title/Stealth Device/AdvSLAM/the droid/Coaxium Hyperfuel). I forgot to take pictures, and so my recall is imperfect.

First game was a strong win for me. My targeting priority was to clear the Vets first, then Pava, and finally Kaz. My opponent went all in on Nom Lumb, which meant the Skulls were allowed to go nuts. Dengar was the business - he did almost as much damage as Lumb's little popgun. Six obstacles, all large Debris Fields - four in a diagonal line from my near left to my far right, one cornered on my near right and the final going on a three-corner on his tight. I set Lumb down on my right to make the best of the left-leaning dial. Having the one-point bid, I gave him initiative. He set the X-Wings in formation on his right with Kaz flanking on the far left side as much opposite Lumb as he could get. I placed with Fangs more or less centrally. I sent Lumb ahead hard, to turn into the debris and either flank or muck up his formation. I sent the Fangs slow-rolling with hard 1 turns and boosts/rolls for a little while to see where my opponent was going. He came in relatively hard, with 3-straight/boosts to get into the debris field, while Kaz SLAMmed along that far edge looking to flank. Lumb came into the center of the map, with the T-70's turning in hard on him. The Fangs came around and boosted to get the X-Wings in arc, and Kaz continued to dawdle around. The SLAM didn't take him where my opponent thought it would, and he was concerned about my turning in and focusing the Fireball down. I put one of the Vets to one hull here, I think, while Lumb took a total of seven damage from the three X-Wing shots. Next turn saw the T-70's bumping hard onto some debris clouds while attempted a formation of talon rolls. Oh, that was sweet. The Fangs poured pure hate into the poor bastards. I *think* Kaz finally got into the action here? If he did, he didn't do anything memorable. I think there were just two more rounds of mopping up after this; he managed to get one Skull to half along with Lumb, but it was never in question and the game was over in under an hour, 200-50.

Second game, my opponent learned from his mistake, and some of the weaknesses of my list were exposed. He ignored Lumb completely. The Skulls got so many of their favorite jousty, Fearless Concordia engagements, but dice will be dice. I lost one Fang, and two more were halved by the end; while he lost one Vet and the other Vet and Pava were on one hull apiece. I just couldn't force the damage through, even while getting Pava isolated. And Lumb - well, Dengar can't trigger if no on shoots at him. And that little popgun doesn't do a whole lot on its own, especially when it's only single-modded. Lost that one at time something like 89-100. If it hadn't been getting late and we'd played it all the way out, I think I might have taken it. Maybe. Three Fangs is solid, but I remained unconvinced that any iteration of the JM5K is competitive. That dial, man. That g.d. dial!

This was my first exposure to the Explosion With Wings - as well as being my opponent's first use. He is moderately experienced with SLAM mechanics, occasionally playing both K-Wings and Starwings. He still struggled a little getting Kaz to contribute. And because I made a point of focusing Jess's wingmates down in a hurry, she got less mileage out her ability than she might otherwise. I can see where Kaz, and the Fireball in general, could really do some work, though. It still doesn't appeal to me - too many triggers to remember. Yeesh! And speaking of dice being dice, an unmodified range three obstructed shot popped the Stealth Device in game two. Whiiiiiiich I just realized that the Explosion With Wings trait would have popped the Stealth Device before the game even started. *sad trombone*

You've done the exact list mod I wanted to try when I first saw Nom, Fenn and two zealous recruits on the table. How do you rate it vs the original?

6 hours ago, Estarriol said:

You've done the exact list mod I wanted to try when I first saw Nom, Fenn and two zealous recruits on the table. How do you rate it vs the original?

I haven't tried that variation, so I can't directly say how it compares, I'm afraid. But I like it in that the Skulls gives some targeting priority issues to your opponent. I mean, in what you describe, there's a very obvious bullseye painted on Fenn. Further, the Skulls are in that i4 sweet spot of being Aces against most swarms and blockers against Aces. I suppose it comes down to play style and practice. If you know Fenn well, you'll probably get more mileage out of that variation; I never really spent the time to learn proper Ace play. I expect that in an uneven-mirror match, my list might enjoy an early advantage, but a properly played Fenn could clean it up. If I took the bait and went after Fenn with the Skulls, I'm not sure that Nom could block up the Recruits and the other Nom sufficiently to provide the necessary time. I bet it would be a really interesting game.

But now I must make the guilty admission that I have already abandoned this list. While it is modestly entertaining and has competitive potential, that JM5K dial is so clunky that flying the ship bores me to tears. Wish I had a Lancer in Hyperspace, even it meant losing the Interceptor-esque mini-swarm. You know, if I'm going to fly a large base tank to anchor a Scum list.

On 2/20/2020 at 2:10 PM, Kleeg005 said:

Whiiiiiiich I just realized that the Explosion With Wings trait would have popped the Stealth Device before the game even started. *sad trombone*

The Stealth Device doesn't actually pop from Explosion with Wings. Being dealt a damage card in Setup is not suffering damage.

Edited by feltipern1
Added Rules forum link

Interesting....

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 8:05 AM, Kleeg005 said:

But now I must make the guilty admission that I have already abandoned this list. While it is modestly entertaining and has competitive potential, that JM5K dial is so clunky that flying the ship bores me to tears. Wish I had a Lancer in Hyperspace, even it meant losing the Interceptor-esque mini-swarm. You know, if I'm going to fly a large base tank to anchor a Scum list.

So I've got a quick question for you regarding the list.

I was looking at three Fearless skulls, and Nom with Autoblasters, 0-0-0, BT-1 and Cybernetics.

Do you think the above has any advantage over just playing a fourth fang?

1 minute ago, underling said:

So I've got a quick question for you regarding the list.

I was looking at three Fearless skulls, and Nom with Autoblasters, 0-0-0, BT-1 and Cybernetics.

Do you think the above has any advantage over just playing a fourth fang?

A little more health? That extra firing arc? A very modest deterrent to taking stressful maneuvers and linked actions? A large base for more blocking potential? They are *situational* advantages.

Recognizable disadvantages include the previously noted clunky dial and slightly softer punching ability.

I think, without further data, it might come down to play style preference and practice. And I only own three Fangs and don't really want to buy a fourth.

In the long run, concerning the base Nom build, I think Ion Cannon is probably the strongest cannon choice, if you can free up the points. And Dengar gunner is really solid.

Just now, Kleeg005 said:

A little more health? That extra firing arc? A very modest deterrent to taking stressful maneuvers and linked actions? A large base for more blocking potential? They are *situational* advantages.

Recognizable disadvantages include the previously noted clunky dial and slightly softer punching ability.

I think, without further data, it might come down to play style preference and practice. And I only own three Fangs and don't really want to buy a fourth.

In the long run, concerning the base Nom build, I think Ion Cannon is probably the strongest cannon choice, if you can free up the points. And Dengar gunner is really solid.

Yep, the original list is three fangs with Nom having an ion cannon and Dengar gunner.

I thought the Nom build with autoblasters might be *slightly* better.

Either way Nom comes in at 50 points.

But the ultimate question is whether either Nom build better than adding the fourth fang. I've got four, so I'm good regardless. :)

38 minutes ago, underling said:

Yep, the original list is three fangs with Nom having an ion cannon and Dengar gunner.

I thought the Nom build with autoblasters might be *slightly* better.

Either way Nom comes in at 50 points.

But the ultimate question is whether either Nom build better than adding the fourth fang. I've got four, so I'm good regardless. :)

I do not recall ever firing my Autoblasters. Maaaaaybe there would have been a couple of Ion shots available, due to range restrictions of the Autoblaster.

And as to whether one is better than the other? *shrug* "Bueller? Bueller?" My pessimistic side says the four Fang is probably slightly easier, if nothing else. That JM5K dial, man. Hurts.