Presenting The Mos Shuuta Gazetteer (formerly The City of Mos Shuuta)

By Kainrath, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

This is an updated version of the previously titled The City of Mos Shuuta. It's still missing text for the crawl page and the description on the back cover.

The Mos Shuuta Gazetteer

x0-tmsg-cover.jpg

Wow...

Oh, I love it. I have always been a fan of the Mos Shuuta fan-made supplements and this is an amazing update.

The first campaign I ran involved had the players who went through the starter set & Long Arm of the Hutt returning to Mos Shuuta and taking over Teemo's palace and forging their own criminal empire from that worthless rock and I have been working to put that into an campaign sourcebook. The book lays out the first few weeks after Teemo's death as they work to figure out the intricacies and traps of his palace as they get it into working order, as well as navigating local politics and culminates in the characters having to fend off a Tusken Raider attack. The GM is left with plenty of plot-hooks to continue in this setting and I was pulling from the older versions of the Mos Shuuta stuff - @Kainrath , I hope you have no objections to me continuing to pull from your work to flesh mine out (you already get credit on page 5 - you can see it in the thumbnails below if you squint) as this would make our work nicely congruent.

Lords-of-Mos-Shuuta-Cover-v2.png

Thumbnails.png

Edited by DangerShine Designs

Uh... where do I pre-order my print version? :)

9 minutes ago, DangerShine Designs said:

Oh, I love it. I have always been a fan of the Mos Shuuta fan-made supplements and this is an amazing update.

The first campaign I ran involved had the players who went through the starter set & Long Arm of the Hutt returning to Mos Shuuta and taking over Teemo's palace and forging their own criminal empire from that worthless rock and I have been working to put that into an campaign sourcebook. The book lays out the first few weeks after Teemo's death as they work to figure out the intricacies and traps of his palace as they get it into working order, as well as navigating local politics and culminates in the characters having to fend off a Tusken Raider attack. The GM is left with plenty of plot-hooks to continue in this setting and I was pulling from the older versions of the Mos Shuuta stuff - @Kainrath , I hope you have no objections to me continuing to pull from your work to flesh mine out (you already get credit on page 5 - you can see it in the thumbnails below if you squint) as this would make our work nicely congruent.

Lords-of-Mos-Shuuta-Cover-v2.png

Thumbnails.png

Thanks! I’d love to see more of what you’ve done. I can’t get enough of Mos Shuuta!

On 2/16/2020 at 1:51 PM, Demon4x4 said:

Uh... where do I pre-order my print version? :)

Just use lulu.com. That’s what we did for the “Spark of Rebellion” book that we created.

Now, to get the quality of work that would result in a game store employee mistaking it for a real FFG sourcebook, that might take a bit more work..... 🤣

Out of curiosity, how much did a copy of Spark run you?

17 hours ago, Demon4x4 said:

Out of curiosity, how much did a copy of Spark run you?

It was pretty expensive. IIRC, it was more than the regular cost of a normal FFG book.
But then, they do have economies of scale.

Oh, I'd certainly think it would be more expensive than a standard mass produced volume, so that doesn't surprise me. Was the quality/size similar?

14 hours ago, Demon4x4 said:

Oh, I'd certainly think it would be more expensive than a standard mass produced volume, so that doesn't surprise me. Was the quality/size similar?

If you are careful, you can get spine graphics that match the size used on the book, and you can get your overprint wrapped around the book so that when it’s cut to fit, it all looks pretty much spot on.

The two things we couldn’t escape were the fact that books printed at lulu.com will have a shiny plastic overcoat, whereas FFG books have a matte plastic overcoat, plus their books have a squared-off spine and the books from lulu.com have a rounded spine. Oh, and the distance from the edge of the paper of the book to the edge of the cover is less with lulu.com. So, if you print to their outer book size, then your paper size is a bit larger, and if you print to their paper size then your book size is a bit smaller.

But seriously, I was standing next to a game shop owner who knew what work we had done on the book and was duly impressed. Whereas his employee I was talking to actually legitimately thought it was a real FFG book that I held in my hands that he had not seen before. That’s when I did a bit of a face-palm because we had done our jobs a bit too well. I used my brother label printer to put a big sticker on it that said it was a fan-made creation and not for sale, and then they put it on display in the shop.

10 minutes ago, bradknowles said:

If you are careful, you can get spine graphics that match the size used on the book, and you can get your overprint wrapped around the book so that when it’s cut to fit, it all looks pretty much spot on.

The two things we couldn’t escape were the fact that books printed at lulu.com will have a shiny plastic overcoat, whereas FFG books have a matte plastic overcoat, plus their books have a squared-off spine and the books from lulu.com have a rounded spine. Oh, and the distance from the edge of the paper of the book to the edge of the cover is less with lulu.com. So, if you print to their outer book size, then your paper size is a bit larger, and if you print to their paper size then your book size is a bit smaller.

To clarify, when FFG has a book printed in China, the method they use creates a “Textblock” (I.e., the core of the book itself) that is about a quarter inch narrower and overall about a half an inch shorter than the “case” (I.e., the front and back covers). So, there is more overhang between the edges of the cover and the edges of the paper.

When you get a book printed at lulu.com, the Textblock height and width are much closer to that of the case, and so there is much less of an overhang. So, you get to choose whether you want to match the size of the Textblock that FFG uses, or if you want to match their case size. You can’t do both.

Or, at least we were unable to do both when getting our books printed at lulu.com.

See http://www.philobiblon.com/gbwarticle/bindterm.htm for more information on these terms.

Nice. This idea might just motivate me enough to start working on the horror themed Star Wars supplement I've been mulling over in my mind. lol

Wow, its an amazing supplement. Kainrath do you mind if I translate it to spanish?

Fantastic Update, Kainrath! Thanks a million.

Wow, just wow! Thanks both of you for sharing!

Oh this is brilliant!
I am just running a mix of Force Awakens (set on Tatooine during ANH though) and Edge Of The Empire beginner games and my group has just entered Mos Shuuta after crashing their Quadjumper in the desert next to it. I will definitely use this and expand on what the beginner game offers!

One thing seems to be missing (or left out on purpose): the fact that Tatooine was once a rich jungle / water planet that was conquered and left in ruins.
The fact that it is now practically all desert, is because of the warfare that happened on the planet.
Could be that this is not canon, but I thought it was the case.

Edit do you plan on adding any more of these? They are high quality source material!
I would love to see gazetteers for the other beginner games :)

Edited by Tailball

AWESOME!! Nuff said!

On 2/20/2020 at 5:38 AM, Ravenus said:

Wow, its an amazing supplement. Kainrath do you mind if I translate it to spanish?

Of course!

@Kainrath , How soon until this is completed.

Just need to write a crawl and back cover description...but it has sapped all my creative juices at the moment. Hopefully soon, unless someone wants to contribute....

Updated with crawl page and back cover description!

Might we see stats for Pash, Oskara, Mathus, and Sasha as well in future updates?

17 minutes ago, Voltron64 said:

Might we see stats for Pash, Oskara, Mathus, and Sasha as well in future updates?

would also love to see them included for ease of reference but I know Mathus and Sasha are on the FFG website

2 hours ago, DangerShine Designs said:

would also love to see them included for ease of reference but I know Mathus and Sasha are on the FFG website

The Pregens from the starter set were used as NPCs here.

18 minutes ago, Voltron64 said:

The Pregens from the starter set were used as NPCs here.

yup, I don't know for sure but possibly not included due to copyright infringement, I was just pointing you to those that were up on the site.