Rescue at Glare Peak PDF?

By Clarkio, in Star Wars: Age of Rebellion RPG

You know how the free RPG day module Under a Black Sun got released in pdf format? Since Glare Peak is also a free RPG day module, did it get rereleased as a PDF?

to clarify, I'm not asking about piracy. I'm asking if there's an official pdf for it, since there was one for UaBS.

Nope, no official PDF, and at this point given how long ago it was released, there's not likely to ever be an official PDF.

That said, I believe you can find physical copies of the Rebellion Day materials on eBay and similar online marketplaces, but that's as close to a legal means of obtaining the module as you're going to get.

electronic star wars media is the province of EA. that unfortunately includes pdf files

that means until their license is over/renegociated, nope, not ever

it's stupid but it's lawyerese

29 minutes ago, MB -Fr- said:

electronic star wars media is the province of EA. that unfortunately includes pdf files

that means until their license is over/renegociated, nope, not ever

it's stupid but it's lawyerese

What about Under a Black Sun then? Was that before the licensing deal with EA?

4 minutes ago, Clarkio said:

What about Under a Black Sun then? Was that before the licensing deal with EA?

free stuff not meant to earn profit. different rules I guess. I hadn't noticed you were asking about the free rpg day module, might come some day I guess

Edited by MB -Fr-
13 minutes ago, MB -Fr- said:

free stuff not meant to earn profit. different rules I guess. I hadn't noticed you were asking about the free rpg day module, might come some day I guess

Seems more a matter that the digital content doesn’t include rules and mechanics, just supplemental material to use with the game; it’s effectively useless without the hard copy of the rules. After all, the dice roller isn’t free...but a fat lot o’ good it does to roll dice with funny symbols if you don’t have the rules to be able to interpret them.

20 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

Seems more a matter that the digital content doesn’t include rules and mechanics, just supplemental material to use with the game; it’s effectively useless without the hard copy of the rules. After all, the dice roller isn’t free...but a fat lot o’ good it does to roll dice with funny symbols if you don’t have the rules to be able to interpret them.

Under a Black Sun does have rules and mechanics though. admittedly not much more than what's needed to play the adventure module, but still.

30 minutes ago, Clarkio said:

Under a Black Sun does have rules and mechanics though. admittedly not much more than what's needed to play the adventure module, but still.

the key phrase being "not much more than needed..." The module does not contain the full rules. It doesn't contain full skills lists, full Talent lists, etc. It's abridged . You can't play the full game with just the information in the module.

30 minutes ago, Tramp Graphics said:

the key phrase being "not much more than needed..." The module does not contain the full rules. It doesn't contain full skills lists, full Talent lists, etc. It's abridged . You can't play the full game with just the information in the module.

Fair point, but I don't think that it's "effectively useless" without the main rules like he said.

Though, assuming he's right (he probably is), it still makes me wonder why FFG hasn't released Glare Peak either as a book you can buy on their website, or as a PDF.

Edited by Clarkio
Clarity
3 hours ago, Clarkio said:

Fair point. It's been a while since I looked through it, so didn't recall that. Just pulled it up again to verify.

If it were to hazard a guess, I'd say that its distribution as part of the "Free RPG Day" promo somehow allowed it to squeeze through a loophole somewhere.

2 hours ago, Clarkio said:

Though, assuming he's right (he probably is), it still makes me wonder why FFG hasn't released Glare Peak either as a book you can buy on their website, or as a PDF.

Looking at FFG's official announcement for Rebellion Day back in 2014, it specifically calls out that the number of kits was limited (presumably as an incentive to get stores to sign up early to host an event). So I'd guess that it has remained unavailable as a PDF to maintain the limited nature of its release (similar to FFG's release of an exclusive upgrade card at X-Wing 2.0 preview events); it was an exclusive to stores hosting Rebellion Day events.

32 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

Fair point. It's been a while since I looked through it, so didn't recall that. Just pulled it up again to verify.

If it were to hazard a guess, I'd say that its distribution as part of the "Free RPG Day" promo somehow allowed it to squeeze through a loophole somewhere.

Looking at FFG's official announcement for Rebellion Day back in 2014, it specifically calls out that the number of kits was limited (presumably as an incentive to get stores to sign up early to host an event). So I'd guess that it has remained unavailable as a PDF to maintain the limited nature of its release (similar to FFG's release of an exclusive upgrade card at X-Wing 2.0 preview events); it was an exclusive to stores hosting Rebellion Day events.

Looks like you're right! I can find the word 'limited' anywhere in the Under a Black Sun (or Shadows of a Black Sun) announcements. Thanks for explaining it!

i was lucky to get a copy on eBay at a reasonable price but know that the PDF is also available (one of my player group has it). I don't know enough about piracy to say whether that PDF would be breaking any rules as it was never officially sold or released by FFG and am avowedly anti-piracy myself (I have a complete set of all things Star Wars RPG, hence my eBay copy of "Rescue") but it's easy enough to find on the internet and as that's likely your only way of getting it, not sure I truly see the harm.

On 2/24/2020 at 8:37 AM, DangerShine Designs said:

i was lucky to get a copy on eBay at a reasonable price but know that the PDF is also available (one of my player group has it). I don't know enough about piracy to say whether that PDF would be breaking any rules as it was never officially sold or released by FFG and am avowedly anti-piracy myself (I have a complete set of all things Star Wars RPG, hence my eBay copy of "Rescue") but it's easy enough to find on the internet and as that's likely your only way of getting it, not sure I truly see the harm.

Yeah, saying, “One of my friends has pirated material. What’s the big deal?” is sort of frowned upon on the actual publisher’s forum.

Just sayin’.

45 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

Yeah, saying, “One of my friends has pirated material. What’s the big deal?” is sort of frowned upon on the actual publisher’s forum.

Just sayin’.

Yet another reason to find other places to talk about the game now. It's not like FFG will be adding anything useful anymore.

23 hours ago, Nytwyng said:

Just sayin’.

Yeah, let’s hope they don’t cancel the game.

I’m not advocating pirating anything anyone would (or should) pay for but how would you recommend someone get a copy of a once-printed and never published for retail game, assuming you weren’t lucky enough to find one on eBay?

1 hour ago, DangerShine Designs said:

I’m not advocating pirating anything anyone would (or should) pay for but how would you recommend someone get a copy of a once-printed and never published for retail game, assuming you weren’t lucky enough to find one on eBay?

I’d recommend that someone who didn’t manage to get a copy of something presented as being limited in quantity get used to disappointment or track down a legitimate copy.

“But I didn’t get one,” is not justification for theft.

1 hour ago, Nytwyng said:

I’d recommend that someone who didn’t manage to get a copy of something presented as being limited in quantity get used to disappointment or track down a legitimate copy.

“But I didn’t get one,” is not justification for theft.

Lookee, lookee, somewhere a hallway is missing a very small monitor.

1 hour ago, DangerShine Designs said:

Lookee, lookee, somewhere a hallway is missing a very small monitor.

My mistake.

So what other copyrighted material is it OK to steal?