New Fiction - A Night Storm Rages

By Schmoozies, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

1 hour ago, Schmoozies said:

Crane civil war still incoming

Given the personalities involved, was there any doubt?

5 minutes ago, Shiba Gunichi said:

Given the personalities involved, was there any doubt?

I mean he almost had a come to the Kami moment there, then he went full Kuwanen.

Can I also give a shout out to the fact that, even though this was a Crane story and Kuwanan won his skirmish, the Lion won the battle retaining their 'Best army in Rokugan' position.

As loyal as I am to our true Champion, it is nice to see both the Lion being portrayed as dangerous as they ought to be, and for Kuwanan to be taking on tactics that aren’t furiously shooting himself in the foot!

Side question: While she is handily winning, is Hotaru actually aware that she’s in a civil war yet?

3 hours ago, Lindhrive said:

As loyal as I am to our true Champion, it is nice to see both the Lion being portrayed as dangerous as they ought to be, and for Kuwanan to be taking on tactics that aren’t furiously shooting himself in the foot!

Side question: While she is handily winning, is Hotaru actually aware that she’s in a civil war yet?

No she isn't aware due to the rampant foot shooting Kuwanen has done up to this point

I really like how very much in his father's shadow Kuwanan is - every decision he seems to make is ran by his idea of how Satsume would act/approve.

But if the ghost of Doji Satsume heard, he made no answer.

According to the RPG, he's busy alternating between haunting a bunch of Emerald Magistrates, and face-palming at the level of stupidity demonstrated by his children.

My PCs wondered why he never appeared to Kuwanan. Then they met him.

am mindful of your training among the Lion, near the time of your coming of age

Interesting to note that Kuwanan trained with the Lion. That's not a relationship they'd expect since the two clans have been pretty much open enemies for most of the sibling's adult life - the first skirmishes over Shiro Kyotei and the Osari Plains are quite a few years back.

we have certain…assets…that will increase our chances of success

Also, Harriers!

Kuwanan swept his katana, Omeka, from its sheath

Yeah...Omeka is pretty lethal. It's one of only two named swords so far statted in the RPG (the other being the sword of the Ruby Champion), and it's pretty lethal. Kuwanan's main battle honour to date involved it cutting clean through an opponent's katana to kill his opponent.

11 hours ago, Lindhrive said:

The best kind of victory is where you don't pull your weapon. Consequently, I guess an even better kind of victory is when you didn't even know that you were fighting.

4 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Interesting to note that Kuwanan trained with the Lion. That's not a relationship they'd expect since the two clans have been pretty much open enemies for most of the sibling's adult life - the first skirmishes over Shiro Kyotei and the Osari Plains are quite a few years back.

Well this is as much a carry over from O5R as there Kuwanen had trained at multiple schools (first Crane, then Lion and finally Crab) as sort of a good will gesture from the Crane to those two clans. It was not that uncommon, even in times of war, as the "student" became a hostage to try and minimize hostilities while they were being instructed, and the hope would be that they brought an increased awareness of the other side back with them after their training.

We also have to remember that its been confirmed that the taking of Shiro Kyotei was 20 years ago from current time period and that there was an extended period where the Crane consolidated their position there, where as the Crane taking Toshi Ranbo was only in the last 3 or so years. So assuming Hotaru is about 18-20 and Kuwanen is 1 or 2 years younger its quite possible he had just completed his gempukku prior to hostilities breaking out.

Edited by Schmoozies
41 minutes ago, Schmoozies said:

We also have to remember that its been confirmed that the taking of Shiro Kyotei was 20 years ago from current time period and that there was an extended period where the Crane consolidated their position there, where as the Crane taking Toshi Ranbo was only in the last 3 or so years. So assuming Hotaru is about 18-20 and Kuwanen is 1 or 2 years younger its quite possible he had just completed his gempukku prior to hostilities breaking out.

Thanks. That's a good reference to keep in mind.

Harriers! Daidoji Uji still the one getting it done for the Crane. And Kuwanan. Poor, poor, Kuwanan. He's both terribly right and horribly wrong at the exact same time.

4 hours ago, Doji Hyōkin said:

He's both terribly right and horribly wrong at the exact same time.

Characters being like this seems to be a running theme in the new story.

Indeed, heroism and villainy are much more interesting if they are built on a human foundation of things like love and hate, fear and courage, and ambition, desire and regret.

7 minutes ago, DGLaderoute said:

Indeed, heroism and villainy are much more interesting if they are built on a human foundation of things like love and hate, fear and courage, and ambition , desire and regret.

Bloodswords confirmed!

Kuwanan with Omeka vs Kachiko with Yashin to save the soul of his sister from the Scorpion's sting, all to get Sotorii onto the throne where he belongs! Truly, the most noble son of the Crane...

1 hour ago, Doji Hyōkin said:

Bloodswords confirmed!

Kuwanan with Omeka vs Kachiko with Yashin to save the soul of his sister from the Scorpion's sting, all to get Sotorii onto the throne where he belongs! Truly, the most noble son of the Crane...

Umm, they've been confirmed for a while now: Shadowlands p110.

17 hours ago, Doji Hyōkin said:

Kuwanan with Omeka vs Kachiko with Yashin

That would be a short fight.

17 hours ago, Doji Hyōkin said:

Bloodswords confirmed!

I can't help but picture if Kachiko tried to pick up Yashin the sword just hopping out of her hands and walking off cursing, "Nope I ain't getting involved in this s***. I'm supposed to drive the wielder crazy trying to achieve their ambitions, but dayum, she is all good on her own."

On 2/13/2020 at 12:12 PM, DGLaderoute said:

Indeed, heroism and villainy are much more interesting if they are built on a human foundation of things like love and hate, fear and courage, and ambition, desire and regret.

I think my unabashed love of the story reboot (which I was not in favor of initially) has a lot to do with the effort being made to put nuance into characters... although it makes the ones who AREN'T handled so deftly a bit more... irksome.

Edited by Shiba Gunichi

I'd just like to put out there is some really great combat description here when Kuwanan leads the skirmish.

On 2/12/2020 at 10:09 PM, Hydraxus said:

I really like how very much in his father's shadow Kuwanan is - every decision he seems to make is ran by his idea of how Satsume would act/approve.

I very much think he'll need to break free from this, before it destroys him. I don't view Doji Satsume as someone whom I could think highly of myself if he approved of my actions. Thought: cards like Effective Deception suggest that this whole reveal to Kuwanan has been engineered to bring down Kachiko and Hotaru - what if it's intended to bring down the Crane as a whole? Ruin Hotaru's reputation, destroy Kuwanan by destroying his image of Satsume, all this after the Crane have fought a civil war? Kakita Yoshi (and to a lesser extent Kuwanan again) could be playing right into his hands by believing Bayushi Shoju has usurped the throne - rumors for the mill of a Crane Clan Coup? That seems very much like something that would please the Scorpion, and in one move, bring the Lion in on their side to boot.

1 hour ago, MirumotoKatsuro said:

I very much think he'll need to break free from this, before it destroys him. I don't view Doji Satsume as someone whom I could think highly of myself if he approved of my actions. Thought: cards like Effective Deception suggest that this whole reveal to Kuwanan has been engineered to bring down Kachiko and Hotaru - what if it's intended to bring down the Crane as a whole? Ruin Hotaru's reputation, destroy Kuwanan by destroying his image of Satsume, all this after the Crane have fought a civil war? Kakita Yoshi (and to a lesser extent Kuwanan again) could be playing right into his hands by believing Bayushi Shoju has usurped the throne - rumors for the mill of a Crane Clan Coup? That seems very much like something that would please the Scorpion, and in one move, bring the Lion in on their side to boot.

It /was/ done to do do exactly that....by Shosuro Hametsu, Kachiko's brother. The letter Kuwanan found was planted by the Shosuro daimyo to do just that.

6 hours ago, KakitaKaori said:

It /was/ done to do do exactly that....by Shosuro Hametsu, Kachiko's brother. The letter Kuwanan found was planted by the Shosuro daimyo to do just that.

Indeed. We don't know - not for definite - if the letter was genuine or not, but we know it was definitely planted for Kuwanan to find, in Dreams of Shadow .

Ironically, Shosuro Hametsu's main goal is probably to break up Hotaru and Kachiko, because his main issue is that he thinks his sister is compromised by her relationship with the Crane. Any internal strife in the Doji and Kakita is just a happy by-product.

Edited by Magnus Grendel
21 hours ago, KakitaKaori said:

Do we know that for sure? I thought it had been left ambiguous whether that was the task he'd given her or not, which is actually why I didn't mention him, because my Hametsu sense fires up at all sorts of things. Maybe I'm misremembering though, and it was made clear.