When FFG OP prize support isn't doing it come up with your own. Midgard Winter 2020

By Thrindal, in Star Wars: Armada Organized Play

On 2/22/2020 I will be TO'ing and playing in the Midgard Winter Tournament.

https://www.facebook.com/events/569329910576983/

For this tournament I sourced my own Prize Support. All the Acrylic's are from Admiral Tator's Etsy shop, the ruler and token holder I came up with and printed myself. Midgard is great and will reimburse me with store credit for the prizes although the Ruler Holder I will probably just donate this time around plus I paint the acrylics myself which I don't get reimbursed for. I do that because it makes the budget go further.

General Prizes, Prize distrubution depends on the number of attendees...

18VGZ8K.jpg

BsWjqY8.jpg

Faction Prizes (Defense tokens for an ISD and an MC80 Home One)

nmvLCCL.jpg

And First Place Prizes...

YHojQgT.jpg

v6jgs8p.jpg

n2sj3sf.jpg

mO1IdIF.jpg

The ruler holder is a neat idea!

5 hours ago, LegioXvance said:

The ruler holder is a neat idea!

Thanks, after I made it I thought I should have made it look more like a lightsaber hilt. I am also not sure the magnets are strong enough. I think they are but if it gets dropped or swung around like a sword they will separate. I think a bar magnet might be better in the future.

I am going to do a Legion version and then revisit this one and I may make them available.

I love how that clear blue acrylic looks, especially for a winter tournament prize! I'm in pretty much the same boat for prize support (minus the reimbursement!), so I may steal the color scheme idea for prizes.

I very much support you making the ruler holder available. It is awesome!

41 minutes ago, Astrodar said:

I love how that clear blue acrylic looks, especially for a winter tournament prize! I'm in pretty much the same boat for prize support (minus the reimbursement!), so I may steal the color scheme idea for prizes.

I very much support you making the ruler holder available. It is awesome!

I would talk to the Store Owner some more. The way Midgard works it (for now, if tournaments get bigger the numbers may change) is I budget $40 for prizes, which I pay for. Midgard charges $10 for tournament entry. I get reimbursed with store credit of $40 as long as we have at least 4 players, which is almost a given. For anything over the $40 they take in for fees the rest is added to the prize pool in the form of store credit prizes, usually for 1-3 and last (Smoking Boots award).

I think Midgard's approach is perfect, they do not try to profit directly from tournaments. Instead they provide good to great prizes and store credit which is a big hit and increases attendance at events and encourages players to make purchases at the store. I personally drive by at least 2 stores to go to Midgard because of their customer friendly approach.

Definitely feel free to steal the color scheme. I am working on the other 3 season color schemes now. Fall I have pretty well decided on (Brown and Orange) with pumpkin symbol, Spring will likely be Green and ??? with a flower symbol like a tulip or rose, Summer will be ??? and Yellow and a sun symbol. Summer could be a solid Blue with Yellow. Spring could be Green and Purple. I just need to see if the other colors would jive.

On 2/10/2020 at 10:47 AM, Thrindal said:

I would talk to the Store Owner some more. The way Midgard works it (for now, if tournaments get bigger the numbers may change) is I budget $40 for prizes, which I pay for. Midgard charges $10 for tournament entry. I get reimbursed with store credit of $40 as long as we have at least 4 players, which is almost a given. For anything over the $40 they take in for fees the rest is added to the prize pool in the form of store credit prizes, usually for 1-3 and last (Smoking Boots award).

I think Midgard's approach is perfect, they do not try to profit directly from tournaments. Instead they provide good to great prizes and store credit which is a big hit and increases attendance at events and encourages players to make purchases at the store. I personally drive by at least 2 stores to go to Midgard because of their customer friendly approach.

THis is mostly how the FLGS's I've played at run things, which is why I'm sure to buy SOMETHING there at every tourney I attend.

One more prize for this tournament. I created a case for the Faction winner's prizes that isn't the overall winner.

There does appear to be significant interest in this tournament, depending on the number of attendees we may have some additional prize support from an FFG kit or other source if needed.

6kTMxz6.jpg

W6X8tGX.jpg

Just wanted to comment as a member of the New England Armada community since 2015 the events you organize are extremely appreciated and among the best we've ever had.

This is undoubtedly the most unique & attractive prize offering we have had in the region. We've had a lot of interest in the Boston area about practicing for & attending this tournament and I've heard this cool prize pool has been motivating for many (myself included!) Hoping to fill my carpool for the drive up!

11 minutes ago, Mala said:

Just wanted to comment as a member of the New England Armada community since 2015 the events you organize are extremely appreciated and among the best we've ever had.

This is undoubtedly the most unique & attractive prize offering we have had in the region. We've had a lot of interest in the Boston area about practicing for & attending this tournament and I've heard this cool prize pool has been motivating for many (myself included!) Hoping to fill my carpool for the drive up!

Thank you very much! While it is hard to nail down exact numbers and level of interest my gut feel from talking to players is that this event will be very well attended which will hopefully greatly sway the store in favor of even more 3rd party support in the future.

Thanks to your post I have been motivated to engage our store and try to improve our prize support. We are in South Australia so postage is expensive, but I was surprised I found alot of interesting things at Admiral Taters and put in a small order. I did weigh up painting the items myself, but opted to have them painted this time. Is the painting difficult? Armada has grown alot down here in the last 2 years and also in Victoria (our closest neighbour 1000km away). When we started 3 years ago, the store had a few old unused tournament kits and we got bye on those for a while. That was great because we just put a pile of prizes out and everyone took turns choosing something from Highest to lowest. But since the latest kits are designed as they are these days, I don't think they are great, so we need to add to them.