600 points - 2 Rebel Starhawks vs SSD

By Draconis80, in Star Wars: Armada Fleet Builds

So a friend and I want to see how well two Starhawks will do against a SSD. We are doing a 600 point game.

I would like to do a fighter swarm on him. Statistically speaking for 150 points what is the best fighter configuration with or without Sloan?

How about this?

Squadrons:
• Ciena Ree (17)
• Dengar (20)
• Colonel Jendon (20)
• Howlrunner (16)
• Maarek Stele (21)
• Mauler Mithel (15)
• Saber Squadron (12)
• Valen Rudor (13)
• Major Rhymer (16)
= 150 Points

The battle went badly for the Empire.

End of round 2. Liberty Destroyed
End of round 4. Starhawk with commander dies. 1 Tie Defender sqaud dies & 1 Gozanti assault.
End of round 5. Super Star Destroyer dies.

Name: Sloan SSD T/D fleet 600
Faction: Imperial
Commander: Admiral Sloane

SSD Assault Prototype (250)
• Admiral Sloane (24)
• Emperor Palpatine (3)
• Commander Woldar (4)
• Intel Officer (7)
• Gunnery Team (7)
• Boosted Comms (4)
• Phylon Q7 Tractor Beams (6)
• Leading Shots (4)
• NK-7 Ion Cannons (10)
• XI7 Turbolasers (6)
• Heavy Turbolaser Turrets (6)
• Eclipse (3)
= 334 Points

Gozanti Assault Carriers (28)
• Comms Net (2)
• Expanded Hangar Bay (5)
= 35 Points

• Comms Net (2)
= 35 Points

• Reeva Demesne (4)
• Repair Crews (4)
• Suppressor (4)
= 45 Points

Squadrons:
• Maarek Stele (21)
• Colonel Jendon (20)
• 6 x TIE Defender Squadron (96)
• Tempest Squadron (13)
= 150 Points

Total Points: 599

20200208_162140_compress61.jpg

Hi @Draconis80 once the lockdown ends I will be playing an 800pt battle with my newly acquired SSD against an opponent with 2 Starhawks. I wanted to pick your brains on your battle.

Your opponent has a lot of large base ships, how did he get that two Starhawks and two liberties in to 600pts? Did he go very light on upgrades?

What would you suggest I watch out for in my own battle?

2 hours ago, flatpackhamster said:

Your opponent has a lot of large base ships, how did he get that two Starhawks and two liberties in to 600pts? Did he go very light on upgrades?

What would you suggest I watch out for in my own battle?

No fighters and light upgrades.

Watch out for flanking ships. I would suggest Jerjerrod and placement in the corner of the map. At a 45 degree angle. With a hull repair Gizonti.

Take the title where they can't ram you or they take a crit.

Tie Defenders are highly recommended. For speed and bomber. Get dice mods like bomber command if you have fighters.

The Arquitens title that refreshes defense tokens. Reeva Demse on an important Gizonti or SSD. Also projection experts from that Arquiten with Officer Wulff Yularen. That will gaurentee a shield everytime.

My major mistake was I split my defender squadrons. I should have focused on one ship with all fighters. Also my Gizonti ships needed to be closer to the SSD.

Thanks for the info. I can see what you mean. You really needed a second combat ship alongside the SSD. If I had had your fleet I would have had a Damage Control Officer on the SSD to deal with crits. I can see what you were thinking in terms of 'get rid of his defence tokens as fast as possible', but so far my experience has been that ignoring the tokens using XI7s and Heavy Turbolaser Turrets works better, because the Starhawk has too many tokens to do anything else. Given a choice between XI7s and HTTs, I am tending to choose HTTs because two turns of being unable to brace with large lumps of damage is really devastating, even to a Starhawk.

Here's my fleet:

Name: Untitled Fleet
Faction: Imperial
Commander: Moff Jerjerrod

Assault:
Defense:
Navigation:

Onager Testbed (96)
• Moff Jerjerrod (23)
• Strategic Adviser (4)
• Ordnance Experts (4)
• Veteran Gunners (5)
• Orbital Bombardment Particle Cannons (5)
= 137 Points

SSD Assault Prototype (250)
• The Grand Inquisitor (4)
• Damage Control Officer (5)
• Support Officer (4)
• Gunnery Team (7)
• Advanced Transponder Net (5)
• Leading Shots (4)
• Heavy Turbolaser Turrets (6)
• XI7 Turbolasers (6)
• Eclipse (3)
= 294 Points

Gozanti Cruisers (23)
• Repair Crews (4)
= 27 Points

ISD Kuat Refit (112)
• Reeva Demesne (4)
• Darth Vader (3)
• Electronic Countermeasures (7)
• Leading Shots (4)
• External Racks (3)
• Relentless (3)
= 136 Points

Gladiator I (56)
• Ordnance Experts (4)
• External Racks (3)
• Demolisher (10)
= 73 Points

Squadrons:
• Bossk (23)
• Morna Kee (27)
• Zertik Strom (15)
• 3 x VT-49 Decimator (66)
= 131 Points

Total Points: 798

I'm going to use the ISD to get in the face of one of the Starhawks, and Vader is on there to remove the Magnites from one of them in case he tries some fancy dan speed-0 shenanigans. The rogue squads need don't need much commanding, and I have Advanced Transponder Net to ensure my heavy squads can keep enemy fighters away from the SSD. Onager is the Starhawk's worst enemy.

Still trying to decide between Jerjerrod and Romodi since the battlefield will be crowded and those extra dice really add up.

Edited by flatpackhamster

First off dump strategic advisor. Your better off having Governor Pryce. SSD basically comes with a free SA.

If your going to do the combo of XI7 & HTT your should have intel officer also.

I would have Reeva on an important Gizonti with the title "Suppersor" or the SSD.

Darth Vader (3)?

I would do Heavy Ion Emplacements & Assault concussion missles with fire control team for double crit possiblity. So with this combo you can activate both critical effects or a critical effect and a faceup card.

Your still better off with the Tie Defenders. Rogue is nice but you can't hit them if your not in range. I would added boosted comms. The activation range would be huge on an SSD.

11 hours ago, Draconis80 said:

First off dump strategic advisor. Your better off having Governor Pryce. SSD basically comes with a free SA.

If your going to do the combo of XI7 & HTT your should have intel officer also.

I would have Reeva on an important Gizonti with the title "Suppersor" or the SSD.

Darth Vader (3)?

I would do Heavy Ion Emplacements & Assault concussion missles with fire control team for double crit possiblity. So with this combo you can activate both critical effects or a critical effect and a faceup card.

Your still better off with the Tie Defenders. Rogue is nice but you can't hit them if your not in range. I would added boosted comms. The activation range would be huge on an SSD.

I'm not sure. Everyone raves about Pryce, but they're better players than me. SA lets a bad player like me even up the number of activations without requiring me to time my attacks and moves well.

Intel officer can have its uses, but like I said when you're facing a ship with potentially 6 defence tokens, I think that ignoring them is more effective. I can say "Go on then, you can brace my 11 damage down to 6 but you have to take it all on one facing. Or you can redirect if you want to, but you can only brace 1 damage".

Vader's job is to strip off the Magnites from a Starhawk. Double Starhawk means double magnites, so they can alternate dropping to speed 0 and disabling your defence tokens.

The Starhawks I have faced have usually had a damage control officer. As a consequence of that, I have been taking raw damage from ExRax over a crit.

TIE Defenders are good, but they need to be commanded. My squads hardly need any attention, which means I can concentrate on 3 commands instead of 4, which works well for my crappy playing skills.

Edited by flatpackhamster