Terrible cards

By DavidTJ, in Warhammer Invasion Deck Building

And one is the "I have never seen the forced effect triggered during a game" :-).

Blue Horrors

2CC

1P

2HP

Action: when this unit leaves play, you may put another unit named Blue Horrors into playfrom your hand.

WTF? Maybe...just maybe if it read, "if this unit leaves play, you may go get a card named Blue Horrors from your deck and play it". Something along those lines would have at least made it useful. But right now...blah.

At least they are sacrifice units if you have more than one on hand but they're still 1 loyalty symbol too expensive. Maybe there is some use with Iseara because Horrors in your discard pile are potentially in your hand for 1 resource.

Another thing is Word of Pain (2De) in comparison to Effulgent Boils (1CC). Boils does basically the same thing in addition to not letting the unit defend.

grille said:

Another thing is Word of Pain (2De) in comparison to Effulgent Boils (1CC). Boils does basically the same thing in addition to not letting the unit defend.

Chaos does like people corrupted over just unable to attack, Winged Furies can get up to 5-6+ Power fairly quickly with EB, Seduced, Bule, Festering Nurglings.

@grille

You're not going to be able to play a Horrors from the discard pile if one in play dies, even if the one in your discard pile has necromancy. It's like the Quests that let you attack from the Quest zone... they don't get Battlefield bonuses because they are not in the Battlefield. They Horrors with Necromancy are NOT in your hand.

f7eleven said:

@grille

You're not going to be able to play a Horrors from the discard pile if one in play dies, even if the one in your discard pile has necromancy. It's like the Quests that let you attack from the Quest zone... they don't get Battlefield bonuses because they are not in the Battlefield. They Horrors with Necromancy are NOT in your hand.

Hovewer if you have a Horror in your hand you could put it into play for free if you use Necromancy on the other one who is in the discard pile. :)

Cain

Cain_hu said:

Hovewer if you have a Horror in your hand you could put it into play for free if you use Necromancy on the other one who is in the discard pile. :)

Cain

This is not so obvious I think as for exemple even if you have "savage gor" on "sac tor aendris" they did not get +2 damage while attacking as they are only considered "as if they were" in the battlefield. (this point has been clarified)

This is quite the same thing with blue horrors they are considered as if they were in your hand if they gain necro, but they are not.

This way of playing Blue horrors needs clarification.

Whatever the outcome...Blue Horrors is a terrible card.

I see Blue Horrors as a coaster awaiting some future infinite or "repeatable for X" combo.

Cain_hu said:

I just received my Arcane Fire BP-s, and I'm supprised to see that Beast of Chaos is actually a mammoth !

A mammoth with single HP... just immagine as it crumbles if a goblin poke it with a stick... or maybe it's pop as a balloon if it steps into a nail. The designers have a strange kind sense of humour.

I understand I'm very much behind print schedule, but I got the battlepack only yesterday. And I'm still shocked by that card.

Not only it's a mammoth with 1 hit point and not only it's terribly useless, it comes in 3 (!) copies in a 40-card pack, which really makes it feel more like a mockery... And then... is it also a misprint? After all what's on the illustration is a warmammoth ; the beast may actually look this way ...

PS

Arcane Fires is the worst battlepack I've bought yet: it's got single (!) copy of a skeven unit, no actual spells (I had hopes to see more of those) and 10g epic spells , usefulness of which is highly dubious. And (to add insult..?) it's got Beast of chaos AND Longbeards in the same pack!

Hoping 60-card packs are better...

brrrtenev said:

Arcane Fires is the worst battlepack I've bought yet: it's got single (!) copy of a skeven unit, no actual spells (I had hopes to see more of those) and 10g epic spells , usefulness of which is highly dubious. And (to add insult..?) it's got Beast of chaos AND Longbeards in the same pack!

Hoping 60-card packs are better...

Both DElf and HElf decks have the Epic Spell in them for me. Both are useful and coming up with 10+ resources is more the norm than the exception around here. DElf one especially can be a game-winner. Other cards from AF I use: Longbeards, Protect the Empire, Blessing of Tzeentch, Witch Hag's Curse. That's much better percentages I think than March of the Damned, since Lizzies and Undies from it are 100% unused.

I guess from a thematic point of view the mammoth is very powerful on the attack but is also very vunerable to attack. He is large and easily out maneuvered wich would explain the low HP. He just is not able to defend himself do to his sheer size. It's kind of like when Legolas killed the Oliphant in the LoTR movie all by himself. One little elf took dowen the massive beast due to the inability of that beast to defend himself. So, that's why the one HP. But, yeah...the card sucks balls.

Dam said:

Both DElf and HElf decks have the Epic Spell in them for me. Both are useful and coming up with 10+ resources is more the norm than the exception around here. DElf one especially can be a game-winner. Other cards from AF I use: Longbeards, Protect the Empire, Blessing of Tzeentch, Witch Hag's Curse. That's much better percentages I think than March of the Damned, since Lizzies and Undies from it are 100% unused.

Well... DE epic spell was actually the one I liked most :) I guess, I got disappointed by the lack of Eldar, DE cards to support the decks from Assault that I had bought previously. I did like Hag's Curse, yes... but the focus on cavalry raids (both units and tactics) in the Eldar cards was not something I was expecting. Now that you've mentioned Longbeards and Protect the Empire (personally, I'd add the saboteurs), I agree I may have sounded too harsh...

brrrtenev said:

Now that you've mentioned Longbeards and Protect the Empire (personally, I'd add the saboteurs), I agree I may have sounded too harsh...

For early Dwarf-aggro, nothing quite like dropping a Longbeard on turn 2 and 3. If undefended (or declines to defend), 3 dmg from turn 2 plus 6 from turn 3 = burn. Best of all, you can play Master Rune of Spite and your beards will survive, throw in Gromril Armor for some annoyingly tough to remove early bastards. And compared to the Beast of Chaos, they look (and are) way better (+3HP for 1 less Loyalty). Good thing Chaos has plenty of hitting power from other sources.

Agreed on the Beast of Chaos 4CCC 3/1 battlefield only - this is terrible card. It would probably be average card but here we got Longbeards 4DD 3/4 battlefield only (and as many of you mentioned they show up in the same battlepack!). Come on, this is ridicoulous! Who was designing it?

Not to mention the core set that is filled with some more crap - Dark Zealot 3C 1/3 "nothing" and Free Company 3E 1/3 Scout! (you do not even have to compare Rodrick's Raiders that come much later).

decado said:

Not to mention the core set that is filled with some more crap - Dark Zealot 3C 1/3 "nothing" and Free Company 3E 1/3 Scout! (you do not even have to compare Rodrick's Raiders that come much later).

Agree with Dark Zealot but Free Company is another thing. Scout is a keyword that is rare (only 3 units have it) and when you compare them with each other it's relativly even because the keyword seems expensive. Shades are 1 resource cheaper but have only 1 instead of 3 HP, Dwarf Ranger has 1 loyalty more + useful quest-only effect but also not 3 HP like Free Company.

Wondering about the order spells in the next battlepack. While the destruction spells look amazing in all 3 cases, order just got copies of tactics that they already have for higher cost. They got the spell trait but only HE (between order factions) is concerned about them.

You are missing gutter runners.
And the new DE hero has a kind of scout and the changeling will have scout in battlefield if I remember right.

Yeah Free Company isnt that great at the moment. I remember playing it all the time when there werent that many cards out. Perhaps in the future some more stuff will come out that will make Order scouts something worth playing again.

TL

decado said:

Agreed on the Beast of Chaos 4CCC 3/1 battlefield only - this is terrible card. It would probably be average card but here we got Longbeards 4DD 3/4 battlefield only (and as many of you mentioned they show up in the same battlepack!). Come on, this is ridicoulous! Who was designing it?

I've been feeling an anti-Dwarf mood coming on of late, latest thing to go hmm (in addition to Longbeards being >>>> Beast of Chaos) is why do Dwarves get a 3D cost unit with 2P, 1HP (like Savage Marauders and High Elf Spearmen), but then get conditional Toughness added on top (Bodyguard of Belegar)? Chaos and HElf units get zip and Dwarf unit for the same cost gets Toughness?

Well having higher loyalty might not be worse anymore in the next capitol cycle. We have seen 2 cards previewed that benefit from cards with high loyalty (and probably more will come in those packs) so in the future Beast of chaos will not be as bad anymore with the upcoming Savage Forsaken unit, though that won't doesn't mean I will take it in my decks soon...