Terrible cards

By DavidTJ, in Warhammer Invasion Deck Building

Id like to start a thread about which cards you'd never use there just that bad. Feel free to agree with or disagree with anyone's choice.

Why start this thread? Well it is actually very useful as a new player to know what cards to stay clear, it is I'm my opinion better to know the handful of cards that arent worth your time than just sticking with some netlist deck because your unsure which cards are bad.

I also think it could provide some fun.

Anyway I'll start.

Beasts of Chaos

Unit

Chaos (surprisingly)

4 cost, 3 loyalty.

3 power

1 health

Battlefield only

On the face of it not too bad, 3 power for 4 cost, seems like an upgrade to savage marauder, but savage marauder have a unique place as a massive boost to kingdom or quest turn 1, wheras this is battlefield only. Before dark elves hit the seem maybe this would get some use, but even the you still have to deal with counterstrike damage. 3 loyalty on this unit is just painful. This card just isnt competitive with other chaos cards which have less limitations on placement, plus for 1 more cost get a fair number of hitpoints, or cards like bloodsworn who get a very nice special ability and 2 health in trade for 1 power. there is just a large gap between 4 cost and 3 cost in this game, I ran a 50+ chaos/skaven deck using just units and 1 copy of core set and 1x each battlepack apart from warpstone chronicles (which is in mail), and they still failed to make the deck.

Anyway onto your top terrible picks or as some people may refer to them, pretty coasters for your drinks :)

Repair The Waystones.

All the speed of a has-to-have-3-tokens quest combined with the unstoppable strength of putting late-game supports in your quest zone.

Clamatius said:

Repair The Waystones.

All the speed of a has-to-have-3-tokens quest combined with the unstoppable strength of putting late-game supports in your quest zone.

This.

I still couldn't figure out the designer's idea with this card.

The new DE unit that's useless without several developments. No reason to play it at all. Simply awful. Or the Chaos unit that makes you pay like 3-4 resources to get rid of a single development. Wow, that's awfully useless.

Greater heal. functionally useless

Archmage of Saphery 1H, 0P, 1HP, Quest . Action: During your quest phase, you may heal 1 damage on one target unit. (Limit once per turn.)

Why use AoS, when you have Initiate of Saphery who brings more to the table?

Initiate of Saphery, 3H, 1P, 3HP, Kingdom . Action: At the beginning of your turn, heal 1 damage from each unit you control.

Even IoS isn't in any way stellar, but P and 3HP is something, and the healing if you can find use for it, again, vastly better.

I like that the "Initiate" is clearly far superior at his school of magic than the so-called "Archmage". What do they teach those kids...

He is presumably the exceptionally senile Archmage Emeritus, clocking in at 1,224 years of age. That's why he doesn't get a hammer. lengua.gif

Clamatius said:

He is presumably the exceptionally senile Archmage Emeritus, clocking in at 1,224 years of age. That's why he doesn't get a hammer. lengua.gif

They'll probably say that thematically the older mage knows when and when not to heal unlike his unruly overly enthusiatic grasshopper ;)

deviant-dj said:

Clamatius said:

They'll probably say that thematically the older mage knows when and when not to heal unlike his unruly overly enthusiatic grasshopper ;)

Or maybe he simply is so old that he cannot get around the battlefield fast enough to heal everyone.

Or he might just suffer memory loss and cannot remember how to do a mass healing.

We'll never know.

maybe the arch mage was doing one of those programs where for a day or two he has to do the job of a lower level mage in some kind of work experiance jazz, and that's why the cards are the way they are!

or maybe the initiate is Teclis himself working undercover.

Well, imagine if you only have a limited amount of damage on your guys and you want to trigger your "heal" cards as much as possible. If a card triggered on everytime a card healed another, then the Archmage would end up getting more triggers. Currently, the cards that trigger on healing are worded so that the initiate is better, but you never know what cards can be printed down the line.

darkdeal said:

Well, imagine if you only have a limited amount of damage on your guys and you want to trigger your "heal" cards as much as possible. If a card triggered on everytime a card healed another, then the Archmage would end up getting more triggers. Currently, the cards that trigger on healing are worded so that the initiate is better, but you never know what cards can be printed down the line.

Might work, if the Archmage wasn't limit once per turn sad.gif . Of course, Initiate is also once per due to his beginning of turn action, but still a lot more bang for your buck.

I'd like to nominate Sigmar's Brilliance, the Empire epic spell from Arcane Fire. It's horrible! It's by far the worst one!

Wytefang said:

Or the Chaos unit that makes you pay like 3-4 resources to get rid of a single development. Wow, that's awfully useless.

It's not a strong card but it's isn't terrible, at the right time it can burn zones down. (esp in a high resource chaos deck)

Agreed on the archmage and any 4+ cost card with 1 health. Horrible cards.

I see the DE development guy being good, but situational. That is, if his ability stacks, if not, he's king of the coasters.

I'll nominate Sigmar's Brilliance. Just more janky Empire nonsense. For 10 gold, the card needs to cripple my opponent severely, and then make me waffles and/or wheat toast.

I just received my Arcane Fire BP-s, and I'm supprised to see that Beast of Chaos is actually a mammoth !

A mammoth with single HP... just immagine as it crumbles if a goblin poke it with a stick... or maybe it's pop as a balloon if it steps into a nail. The designers have a strange kind sense of humour.

I think the Ork epic tactic (cant rem name) is pritty useless seeing as if orcs are at 10 reasources you have probably lost anyways sorpresa.gif

Cain_hu said:

Clamatius said:

Repair The Waystones.

This.

I still couldn't figure out the designer's idea with this card.

They wanted to get a High Elf quest in your hands to build up interest for more cards. Too bad it's lame. I only have the core, skavenblight, and arcane fire bps....I haven't seen anything to make me really drool over high elves.

How about the alliance cards?.... He was going to say until he remembered that they add one power.

I was wondering if anybody knows (or could think of) the reason why beast of chaos costs more than gurni's elite..

Both have 3 loyalty cost, 3 hammers, 1 hit point.

Gurni's elite cost 3, Beast of chaos costs 4.

Only differences are race and traits, but i don't see why any of these should make the beasts cost more

Primus_Magicus said:

I was wondering if anybody knows (or could think of) the reason why beast of chaos costs more than gurni's elite..

Both have 3 loyalty cost, 3 hammers, 1 hit point.

Gurni's elite cost 3, Beast of chaos costs 4.

Only differences are race and traits, but i don't see why any of these should make the beasts cost more

Actually, if you want to look at another disparity, compare Beast to Longbeards. Both are BZ only. Beast is 4CCC for 3/1, Longbeards 4DD for 3/4.

Actually Chaos have a lot of pretty good big guy (6 + cost) with high potential and the possibility to create deck around, Great Unclean, Bloodthirster, Lord of Change, those kinds of units are rare in the others faction.

And their winged fury is a good new unit.

But low cost units are all crap or suffer of lacking from equivalent in the other faction.

They have only 2 potentialy interresting low cost units :

- Braying Gor

- Festering nurgling

All their others units are deficient when it's time to look for equivalent :

- Savage marauder / Bodyguard of beleguar

- Beast of chaos / Longbeards

- Dark zealot / Rodrik's Raiders

And moreover they have poor support card. (probably the poorest of the 6 factions).

Shindulus said:

And moreover they have poor support card. (probably the poorest of the 6 factions).

Yeah they still only have 3 resource generating support cards where 2 are from core set and the last addition was the "amazing" hellcannon with deathmasters dance ...