More campaigns?

By Fjeld, in Mansions of Madness

Will there be more scenarios and campaigns added to the app? And will there be made campaigns that combine multiple or all expansions?

Nothing has been announce to suggest they will make campaigns, but it is possible. I've been working on one in Valkyrie for the past year (its not ready yet), so know its completely possible.

I don't understand why they wouldn't create more campaigns, especially campaigns that require multiple expansions. That would be a great incentive for people to buy more extensions in my opinion. Well, I better head over to Valkyrie then. How do these campaigns compare to the ones in the app? I will definently look out for for your campaign. 😁

I still trying to create one scenario :D it's not easy xD

4 hours ago, Fjeld said:

I don't understand why they wouldn't create more campaigns, especially campaigns that require multiple expansions. That would be a great incentive for people to buy more extensions in my opinion. Well, I better head over to Valkyrie then. How do these campaigns compare to the ones in the app? I will definently look out for for your campaign. 😁

If they created an official scenario that required more than the expansion it came with and the core set, they would be setting themselves up for complaints of folks spending money on content that they cannot use (ex. because they only own the core + that expansion).

App DLC only scenarios that used multiple expansions would work to deliver that sort of content, as people would only purchase what they would be able to play, but I do not know what the adoption rate of DLC scenarios is, and if that is a route they want to focus on.

The more expansions you require for a given scenario, however, you narrow your pool of potential customers. Not everyone owns every expansion.

Edited by kris40k

I have bought all of the app DLC. That must be like a goldmine if they where to continue making those. Only about 5 bucks. Imagine having a library full of DLC campaigns to buy from. My wallet wouldn't be so happy though... 😂

On 2/5/2020 at 9:57 PM, Fjeld said:

I have bought all of the app DLC. That must be like a goldmine if they where to continue making those. Only about 5 bucks. Imagine having a library full of DLC campaigns to buy from. My wallet wouldn't be so happy though... 😂

I don't think DLC scenarios are that cost effective. They can release a big box for $50(?) with 3 scenarios ($15 if sold as DLC) thats $35 for some card board and profit. If the DLC was priced to make profits like the physical material I doubt they would sell.

On 2/5/2020 at 5:38 PM, Fjeld said:

There are currently no campaigns for MoM2 in Valkyrie. They are quite the undertaking (trust me). MoM2 was designed for single play scenarios, so they didn't put any campaign mechanics in (shop, player advancement, etc). For my campaign i've had to build them from scratch.

However there are lots (i thnk nearly 50) of individual scenarios that players have created in Valkyrie.

On 2/5/2020 at 7:11 PM, KarczmaGraczy said:

I still trying to create one scenario :D it's not easy xD

If you need any help and advice feel free to PM me :) , i've written 3 and the scenario creation guide - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Gi5gTwKkw84Px0Lvk-bJ3Aml_vF3ZoljjB6a8FjWGt8/

On 2/5/2020 at 12:53 PM, kris40k said:

If they created an official scenario that required more than the expansion it came with and the core set, they would be setting themselves up for complaints of folks spending money on content that they cannot use (ex. because they only own the core + that expansion).

App DLC only scenarios that used multiple expansions would work to deliver that sort of content, as people would only purchase what they would be able to play, but I do not know what the adoption rate of DLC scenarios is, and if that is a route they want to focus on.

The more expansions you require for a given scenario, however, you narrow your pool of potential customers. Not everyone owns every expansion.

This is the same specious argument that was used to limit the expansions utilized by FFG in D2e's RTL. Yet, when they actually produced some that used 1, 2, and/or 3 expansions, they became the MOST popular RTL DLCs and generated additional sales of the expansions in question.

Once a product is sufficiently mature, there really is no reason NOT to do this. Quite frankly, by not doing it, a greater argument can be made that you are alienating your most loyal (and most spend thrifty) fans of the game.

I would be so hyped if MoM did make a dlc that used 2 or 3 expansions. Please someone, make this happen! 😂

26 minutes ago, Fjeld said:

I would be so hyped if MoM did make a dlc that used 2 or 3 expansions.

As far as I'm aware, there are variants of maps for all scenarios that may include tiles, equipment, and creatures from different expansions. I played the Altered Fates DLC Scenario and I'm fairly certain it used items from all of the expansions that I had at that time.

That's not to say that they will automatically create new variants for all previous scenarios when a new expansion comes out... I think that the suitability of for example Path of the Serpent is pretty limited - "Place rocky jungle crevasse at the end of Corridor 1".

8 hours ago, scrubbless said:

If the DLC was priced to make profits like the physical material I doubt they would sell

Well in my case you can double the cost of the DLC as I choose to buy it on both Android and Steam, and I imagine I'm not the only person to do that.

7 hours ago, icabod said:

As far as I'm aware, there are variants of maps for all scenarios that may include tiles, equipment, and creatures from different expansions.

To be clear ... I do NOT want variants of a single scenario that uses different tiles just to make things look different.

I want DLC scenarios that say use tiles FROM ALL OF THE EXPANSIONS at the same time, not 1 variant with 1 expansion's set of tiles and another variant with a different expansion's set of tiles.

One of my valkyrie scenarios does exactly that "Escape" when you go through a door it semi randomly picks a tile of a pool available. There is at least one room for each expansion (excluding PoS, as I am waiting for it to be added to Valkyrie).

The scenario only requires Base, but every expansion enables adds to the pool of variability.

EDIT: I wanted to clarify what I mean by "Semi randomly picking a tile" each section of the board may have 2-4 possible tiles, each with its own unqiue encounter. When you go through the door it will do a random number generation to pick with of those available tiles it will place, the pool size will depend on what expansions are required for the tile and which are enabled by the player. For example room 1 may have a base, SoA, SoT and RN option, 1/4 chance each time you play to get a different tile with all expansions. If you only have SoA then its 1/2 chance, as two of the possibilities are locked off due to the lack of expansion content.

Edited by scrubbless