Task Force Concord vs. Task Force Justice

By Admiral Calkins, in Star Wars: Armada Battle Reports

Here is another 200-point game with my regular weekend opponent in preparation for the March 21st Task Force (200-point) tournament at Orbital Games in Sierra Vista, AZ. Here are the lists:

Name: Task Force Concord
Faction: Rebel

Assault: Station Assault
Defense: Capture the VIP
Navigation: Solar Corona

Starhawk Battleship Mark I (140)
• Toryn Farr (7)
• Ezra Bridger (3)
• Local Fire Control (4)
• Quad Laser Turrets (5)
• High-Capacity Ion Turbines (8)
• Linked Turbolaser Towers (7)
• Magnite Crystal Tractor Beam Array (10)
• Concord (12)
= 196 Points

Squadrons:
= 0 Points

Total Points: 196

No great plan here. Just wanted to get the Starhawk on the table to get the players in my area excited about it. After my last game though, in this format, I realized how powerful squadrons could overpower even a large ship. To prepare for that, I made sure that any squadron that wanted to attack got punished, through Salvo, Quad Laser Turrets, and Linked Turbolaser Towers (if needed).

----------

Name: Task Force Justice
Faction: Imperial

Assault: Surprise Attack
Defense: Fleet Ambush
Navigation: Dangerous Territory

Arquitens Light Cruiser (54)
• Darth Vader (1)
• Slaved Turrets (6)
• Hand of Justice (4)
= 65 Points

• Skilled First Officer (1)
• Slaved Turrets (6)
= 61 Points

• Skilled First Officer (1)
• Slaved Turrets (6)
= 61 Points

Squadrons:
= 0 Points

Total Points: 187

My opponent just wanted to try out Arquitens, which gave him a solid list with a good bid.

My opponent had initiative and chose to be second player. I chose his Fleet Ambush.

Note: This is the second time that my opponent has chosen one of the "not recommended" or "not allowed" objectives for the Task Force format. I specifically chose this objective to force him to read the rules next time.

5vhic40.jpg

Deployment: After setting up the ambush zone, my opponent strategically placed a debris field so that I could not deploy in the center of the zone. I chose to place the Starhawk the furthest forward I could in the ambush zone, giving his Arquitens plenty of obstructive obstacles, if he chose to deploy on the opposite side. My opponent then deployed in a triangle formation, ensuring that 1) He would almost always be obstructed, 2) He would need to do some fancy navigating around those asteroid fields, and 3) My Magnite Crystal Tractor Beam Array is really going to mess him up if he has nothing but Concentrate Fire commands. Also, using Local Fire Control, I replaced my Contain token with another Salvo token.

Round 1: I activate my lone ship, take an (evaded) long range shot at his nearest Arquitens, then drop down to speed 1 and move forward. I use the Magnite Tractor Beam to drop the leading ship down to speed 1, matching my speed. My opponent activates his lead and fires an obstructed shot into my side, draining some shields from my rear hull after a Redirect. He moves forward at speed 1. The second Arquitens does the same, but attacking my front. This is our first introduction to Salvo, which comes in quite handy after he already exhausted his evade. He cannot slow down though to prevent a collision, causing damage to that ship and the lead. The third Arquitens has a similar activation as the second; both got hit with an obstructed Salvo as well.

y7fEFks.jpg

Round 2: The second round went very similar to the first, except I took away most of his left-rear Arquitens' shields and he started eating into my hull in the front (received two damage cards, one being Faulty Countermeasures). He is able to speed up, preventing more collisions, but it places his severely damaged Arquitens squarely in medium range of my side arc (he even passed on firing with his back left ship this round, as my Salvo would have likely destroyed it).

Bbeiisn.jpg

Round 3: I activate, revealing a Repair command, which I use to get rid of my critical damage card and move a shield to the left hull zone. I fire from my side arc, destroying one of his Arquitens. I then use the Starhawk's tractor beam to get Hand of Justice to slow down, trying to get him to land on the debris field (it works). His flagship has a shot that brings my left hull back down to two shields, while his other ship is out of range.

zOG4kTN.jpg

Round 4: Exactly the same as Round 3. I replace shields and he takes them away. He does reveal Repair commands though, ensuring that I will not be able to kill another one at this range.

6C8MFMm.jpg

Round 5: Neither of us has a shot. After movement that puts us further out of range, we called the game, with me winning the match 61-0.

Question: How is tournament scoring calculated for a Task Force Tournament? Do I just double the MoV to determine the tournament points awarded, keeping the original MoV for the standings though (so this would be a 7-4, 61 MoV)? Any help would be much appreciated.

aKeZjs6.jpg

Thoughts: Starhawks can be brutal, but I can definitely see MSUs making a comeback against them. If he had used nothing but Navigate commands, I am pretty sure I would not have been able to kill one at that range. And just like the Super Star Destroyer, the Starhawk is certainly not indestructible. Those shields disappeared a lot faster than I would have liked. That Magnite Tractor Beam and Salvo tokens are certainly fun though.

Update: A friend just let me know that Toryn Farr was worthless in this list (never needed her anyways). I usually run her on Bright Hope, so I guess I just never realized she didn’t work for her own ship.

Edited by Admiral Calkins
Update

Thanks for the writeup!

BTW did you go to LVO?

38 minutes ago, Bertie Wooster said:

Thanks for the writeup!

BTW did you go to LVO?

You're very welcome. I just want to show that people are out there playing and that the Armada community continues to grow (at least in my area).

Unfortunately, I did not go to LVO. I had my ticket since June, but family and work commitments always come first. Thankfully, I was able to find another forum member that was going to be in the area at the time, so I passed my ticket and badge and badge off to them. They probably placed better than I would have anyways. 😉

Question: How is tournament scoring calculated for a Task Force Tournament?

all you need to do is divide the lower and upper points value of each scoring range by 2 for 200 point games.

7 hours ago, Englishpete said:

Question: How is tournament scoring calculated for a Task Force Tournament?

all you need to do is divide the lower and upper points value of each scoring range by 2 for 200 point games.

Thank you. Is there anything official stating this? My concern is that just dividing the scoring ranges in half makes objectives, specifically those like Station Assault and Contested Outpost, a little too powerful.

'My concern is that just dividing the scoring ranges in half makes objectives, specifically those like Station Assault and Contested Outpost, a little too powerful.'

you halve objective rewards points as well.

It was either FAQ'd or posted by the FFG folks, but I can't remember where.

Thanks for the write-up! What I want to know is where did you get those sweet, sweet 3D obstacles and how much were they?

Oh, and greetings from a fellow AZ player!

Edited by ArmadaMatt
Added greetings
10 hours ago, ArmadaMatt said:

What I want to know is where did you get those sweet, sweet 3D obstacles and how much were they?

Thanks, Fellow AZ Admiral! Prescott, by chance? I know a Matt there.

I got the obstacles at Combatzone Scenery in the UK. Shipping is a little rough, but the products are great and are pretty fun to paint.

https://combatzone-scenery.co.uk/epages/e25b18fb-c32b-422a-8493-a8baeb0f1a17.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/e25b18fb-c32b-422a-8493-a8baeb0f1a17/Products/AR002

They are making the Gravity Rifts right now, and once those are complete, going to purchase the Rebellion in the Rim obstacles from them.

21 minutes ago, Admiral Calkins said:

Thanks, Fellow AZ Admiral! Prescott, by chance? I know a Matt there.

I got the obstacles at Combatzone Scenery in the UK. Shipping is a little rough, but the products are great and are pretty fun to paint.

https://combatzone-scenery.co.uk/epages/e25b18fb-c32b-422a-8493-a8baeb0f1a17.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/e25b18fb-c32b-422a-8493-a8baeb0f1a17/Products/AR002

They are making the Gravity Rifts right now, and once those are complete, going to purchase the Rebellion in the Rim obstacles from them.

Sorry, Chandler area actually. And I have yet to play at a store. Just a kitchen table guy so far.

Thanks for the link! Sadly it says they're out of stock. Can't tell what shipping would be, but £25 seems like a good price.