Emperor Palpatine and salvo

By Sobonis01, in Star Wars: Armada Rules Questions

Would Emperor Palpatine trigger on a salvo? My thought is yes

as the the card reads

When an enemy ship or unique squadron declares you as the target of an attack , it must spend 1 of its defense tokens (if able).

As you would be the target of an attack. However, the other side of the coin is that does salvo declare you as an attacker?

Salvo reads
If the attack was made by a ship, the defender performs a salvo attack against the attacking hull zone using its printed rear battery armament. If the attacker was a squadron, however, the defender uses its printed anti-squadron armament.

So by using Salvo you are defaco targeting the other ship as when you spend the token you are targeting and declare the attack.

With the way the rules are currently written, I'd actually say no, as O!Palpatine triggers when an attack is declared, however, there's never an attack declared with Salvo, it's just performed.

So, RAW, I'd say no. Whether or not that's what they intended, I don't know.

Also, I'm sure Dras will come along and say why I'm wrong. :D

I would say yes. Since Salvo is an attack, and "declare target" is the first step of making an attack.

I'd go with yes. It is an attack, and the first step of an attack is to declare the target. You may not have any choice over the target, but you still have to declare it.

The more interesting thing with Emperor Palpatine and Salvo is that Commander Palpatine also applies to Salvo; so if you are using Commander Palpatine you need a Salvo token for that, which you might not have if you haven't picked up Wave 8.

1) Yes.

and

2) It’s no big deal, because odds are if your opponent has a salvo to target, they'll likely have a token to spare. Unless they’re being reaaaaally silly.

Yup, Salvo is an "attack". Palo would resolve.

29 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

1) Yes.

and

2) It’s no big deal, because odds are if your opponent has a salvo to target, they'll likely have a token to spare. Unless they’re being reaaaaally silly.

See, I told you he'd come along and correct me. :D