Looking for that Imperial Blue color...

By Jokkker, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

I’m entertaining a thought to paint my whole imperial navy and as a base color for fighters it’s going to be that ESB&ROTJ blue tone.

I’d like to avoid mixing and get that straight from the bottle as close as possible. Any suggestions?

12 hours ago, Jokkker said:

I’m entertaining a thought to paint my whole imperial navy and as a base color for fighters it’s going to be that ESB&ROTJ blue tone.

I’d like to avoid mixing and get that straight from the bottle as close as possible. Any suggestions?

GW Fenrisian Grey is the stuff. I used it to repaint a TIE Advanced x1 that came to me downright white , and I was pleased with how it more-or-less matched my blue TIE/lns.

2 hours ago, CoffeeMinion said:

GW Fenrisian Grey is the stuff. I used it to repaint a TIE Advanced x1 that came to me downright white , and I was pleased with how it more-or-less matched my blue TIE/lns.

Splendid! I’ll give it a go. 👍

+1 for fenrisian grey, use that and a nuln oil wash to match the FFG look

12 hours ago, Jokkker said:

Splendid! I’ll give it a go. 👍

Actually, @Kieransi is right—don’t forget the Nuln, too! And don’t worry if it takes a few coats to make it look right, especially on the solar panels.

So for Imperial paint scheme is it Black, GW Fenrisian Grey and Nuln oil wash then? That's "the formula"?

Tamiya haze grey stray paint is good.

I have some ancient Citadel paints in my storages to experiment with (from mid 1990's) - I tried Space Wolves Grey. Maybe it's close to Fenrisian Grey - dunno.

lK0o6L9.jpg

Original Blue one on the left.

2hIUnRx.jpg

Light coat of Space Wolves Grey. I just painted it over the original light grey without any base coats...

Jvcsci9.jpg

...and washed whole thing in a rush with Nuln Oil. Painted one is in the middle.

CRWfO1V.jpg

Ok, I'm thinking this is... maybe satisfactory. You can definitely spot the difference on a photo now, not so much on the board. The original blues one is also going to get some Nuln Oil so its going to be even closer.

I purchased and tried the Fenrisian Grey mentioned above. Me also thinks now it's the best answer on this quest.

Here's a trio of TIE/x1s (of which the middle one is Fenrisian one). I did paint the Raider's x1's panels too because of messy factory washes. I'll add the Nuln Oiled result later...

4902mGD.jpg

****, that looks spot on

ZZrqPz0.jpg
...and here is the finished squadron. One layer of Nuln Oil on every ship. I did the Striker too with Fenrisian. I’m not sure anymore if the front one of X1’s is the original blue one. 😄

(Now I’m ready to experiment if 4 x Storm Squ. Aces (FCS) + I1 Striker (proton bombs) can match 5 x X. 🤔 )