What the Eye cannot see

By Magnus Grendel, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

New fiction up:

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/a0/e4/a0e4e57e-e2dd-438a-bba6-4342f71559a7/4_what_the_eye_cannot_see.pdf

Kitsuki Chiari is Sherlock-sama. Wheels are coming off.

Also, nice to note that even without the wards present, the spiritual impact of what Sotorii did appears to be entirely real.

Also, apparently you really can't get the cleaning staff these days. Truly, this is The Age Of Declining Housekeeping Standards...

Edited by Magnus Grendel

Aww yeah... Kitsuki Method FTW!

This is a fantastic trail of breadcrumbs to spool the truth out. Also Doji Azumamaro is either exactly who he appears to be, or has the best cover ever.

Also, small hiccup, We Strike First was 1, Beyond Reach was 2, What The Eye Cannot See is tagged as 4. So either a typo, or we jumped a story.

Edited by Doji Hyōkin
4 minutes ago, Doji Hyōkin said:

Aww yeah... Kitsuki Method FTW!

This is a fantastic trail of breadcrumbs to spool the truth out. Also Doji Azumamaro is either exactly who he appears to be, or has the best cover ever.

Also, small hiccup, We Strike First was 1, Beyond Reach was 2, What The Eye Cannot See is tagged as 4. So either a typo, or we jumped a story.

I spotted that too.

We did ask for investigating in the Imperial Palace. Well, the Dragon did. This is what you get.

I'm starting to feel uncomfortable about Sotorii just not getting a break. But, like, ever.

Then she rose and drew Kunshu.

An instant later she slammed it back into its sheath and dropped it to the floor. The clatter was appalingly loud, but Chiari could barely hear it over the shrieking horror in her mind. No no no blessed Fortunes have mercy...

It's cursed. The ancestral sword of the Hantei is cursed.

So, I can't recall which Clan " won " the " honor " of holding on to Kunshu until the next Emperor is crowned, but something tells me it's not going to be a fun situation.

Edited by Mangod

I don't want more Chiari.

I NEED MORE CHIARI!

Well now we have several covert investigations going on in the capital. I did really like how Chiari went about investigating. That was well done. It was a nice illustration of Kitsuki Method. I don't think we've really seen that in action yet in a fiction. Also Chiari seems like a cool character.

4 hours ago, Mangod said:

So, I can't recall which Clan " won " the " honor " of holding on to Kunshu until the next Emperor is crowned, but something tells me it's not going to be a fun situation.

Well now, that would be the Crane I believe. Maybe that’s something we can occupy Doji Kuwanan with after he returns. Surely it’s appropriate he be entrusted with a sword that spends so much time Lion-adjacent. Thankfully it’s not a Kakita blade...

Why not Kakita Yoshi? :ph34r:

The Crane Clan is already at war with itself, and Kyuden Kakita already fell, which is supposed to be the consequence of his curse after he draws steel.

And the curse is 'draws steel', as well - whilst he never touches a sword that's just over-cautiousness; nothing technically stops him holding Kunshu, since it's (a) a Lion blade and (b) Imperial property, so it's not going to be something he's going to want to draw.

10 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Why not Kakita Yoshi? :ph34r:

The Crane Clan is already at war with itself, and Kyuden Kakita already fell, which is supposed to be the consequence of his curse after he draws steel.

And the curse is 'draws steel', as well - whilst he never touches a sword that's just over-cautiousness; nothing technically stops him holding Kunshu, since it's (a) a Lion blade and (b) Imperial property, so it's not going to be something he's going to want to draw.

Just a quick Clarification Kunshu is the Imperial Sword of the Hantei, Shori is the Sword of the Lion that sits in honor beside Kunshu, only to be returned to the Lion when the Emperor wish them to go to war with the enemies of the Empire.

Edited by Schmoozies
11 hours ago, Doji Hyōkin said:

Well now, that would be the Crane I believe.

Where is Yajinden when his clan needs him the most?

18 minutes ago, AtoMaki said:

Where is Yajinden when his clan needs him the most?

*sound of freshly forged swords being quenched in blood intensifies*

My census says we've heard of Chiari before. A bit of investigation and -

l5c30_highlight-the-flaws.png

2 hours ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

My census says we've heard of Chiari before. A bit of investigation and -

l5c30_highlight-the-flaws.png

Well, she’s not wrong. And apparently decided she didn’t even need the invitation.

minus points to all previous posters for no obvious "Out **** spot" reference.

Also I love how Chiari, straight up called Kachiko stupid. Leave it to the Kitsuki to tell it like it is.

"Well, well, well, it appears the evidence points to only one conclusion...………..you dumb girlfriend"

I enjoyed this yarn a great deal.

That said, it is mostly just watching the wheels on the wagon wobble a bit before they inevitably fly off.

Oh, Kachiko. You really got jealous of Yoshi having his own hashtag, didn't you?

On 2/1/2020 at 11:38 AM, Shiba Gunichi said:

Oh, Kachiko. You really got jealous of Yoshi having his own hashtag, didn't you?

#ohkachikoyousillygoose

1 hour ago, Schmoozies said:

#ohkachikoyousillygoose

If this makes people shut up about Yoshi then I support this.

1 hour ago, 987654321 said:

If Yoshi would stop screwing up we'd stop with #kakitayoshiisafool

Sadly he shows no sign of taking that foot off the gas with his hold my sake moments

4 hours ago, 987654321 said:

3 hours ago, Schmoozies said:

If Yoshi would stop screwing up we'd stop with #kakitayoshiisafool

Sadly he shows no sign of taking that foot off the gas with his hold my sake moments

Ignoring the admittedly meme-y nature of #kakitayoshiisafool, I have to ask; can anyone recall Yoshi having done anything thus far in the story that hasn't blown up in his own face somehow? He's needlessly alienated the Crab, instigated a civil war within his own Clan, and the side he's chosen to back in that civil war has been witnessed attacking one of the Imperial Princes and killing several members of the Seppun Imperial Guard .

What has he been involved with that hasn't backfired for the Crane? I legit can't recall...

On 1/30/2020 at 9:25 PM, Doji Hyōkin said:

Well now, that would be the Crane I believe. Maybe that’s something we can occupy Doji Kuwanan with after he returns. Surely it’s appropriate he be entrusted with a sword that spends so much time Lion-adjacent. Thankfully it’s not a Kakita blade...

Actually, the Clan that "Won" Kunshu was 100% definitely Scorpion.

"He was conducting an unremarkable affair with the owner’s nephew, a young man with a sweet disposition and passable beauty"

Hmm must also be a fan of Hotaru's love story. 😁

21 hours ago, Mangod said:

Ignoring the admittedly meme-y nature of #kakitayoshiisafool, I have to ask; can anyone recall Yoshi having done anything thus far in the story that hasn't blown up in his own face somehow? He's needlessly alienated the Crab, instigated a civil war within his own Clan, and the side he's chosen to back in that civil war has been witnessed attacking one of the Imperial Princes and killing several members of the Seppun Imperial Guard .

What has he been involved with that hasn't backfired for the Crane? I legit can't recall...

I bet he was the one that set up Altansarnai's marriage to the Lion.......

He's also responsible for disco, Teletubbies, and all the worst Star Wars movies.

On 1/30/2020 at 9:02 AM, Magnus Grendel said:

Also, nice to note that even without the wards present, the spiritual impact of what Sotorii did appears to be entirely real.

I've still got on the tinfoil hat that Sotorii may not have done it. Somebody or something did, but the blackout still stands out in my mind.

Also, the silent prayer to "a thousand years of outraged Lion ancestors" amused me greatly.

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 10:56 PM, Mangod said:

Stuff that hasn't backfired - it's hard to say since so much stuff is up in the air at the moment. But 'successes':

• Finding out about the Emperor's death quickly despite Kachiko's attempted cover-up - check the 'timestamp' on the respective stories; Yoshi is talking to his informant at the same time Miya Satoshi walks in on the corpse. That's far, far faster than anyone else in the palace not already present.
  • Getting the Unicorn to sign on as part of a semi-official alliance with the Crane and without letting anyone know about Kyuden Kakita.

He's had his fair share of meme-worthy screw-ups, too, but a non-trivial proportion of them are actually due to (much like Kachiko) his assuming the Emperor is basically an inert playing piece to be shoved around the board.

• He assumes the hiatus in court edicts prior to the Emerald Tournament is Kachiko 'outmanoeuvring' him. It wasn't - she didn't want an Emerald Tournament at all, but to have Aramoro declared de facto Emerald Champion. The tournament was the Emperor's insistence and came as a shock to her as well.
  • His belief that Shoju is behind the whole regency edict ("that should rightfully be his") as a sort of legal coup. The fact that it was, again, the Emperor's idea (or if you want to be strictly accurate, the Emperor's insistence on Doji Satsume's idea) and given his views on the Scorpion Clan's prominence at court, Shoju's response to being named regent was probably "What...No!...I didn't mean ME!" and that's something the Chancellor doesn't get.

Essentially his biggest problem is exactly the same as Kachiko's. He is primarily imperial chancellor to get the best deal out of the Empire he can for the Crane (Kachiko treats her position as Imperial Advisor much the same for the Scorpion). This mindset make the idea that someone could genuinely be acting in what they see as the best interest of the Empire, not their respective clan, or that the Imperials might have some strong opinions of their own on some matters, utterly alien to his way of thinking, and therefore either they must be lying about their motivation or must be being manipulated somehow.

You can see that in the way he reacts to Agasha Sumiko* signing off on the Regency Edict.

* Who we've been told in 3rd-party GM omniscient information in the RPG is every bit as devoted to the Empire as a whole and the rule of law as her public reputation in-setting implies, to the point that her RPG stats have a specific special rule called For The Good Of The Empire.

Edited by Magnus Grendel