Ignition attack beyond long range of the token?

By bkcammack, in Star Wars: Armada Rules Questions

Can I theoretically attack a hull zone that is beyond long range of the ignition token? For example, let’s say an ISD’s rear arc would fall within the ignition arc if the lines extended to infinity, but is beyond long range of the token. The front arc is within range, though. Can I target the rear arc (assuming I have line of sight?)

F5D743CF-3324-4A02-AA9E-E18A275DC162.jpeg

From the rules reference attack sequence:

"If the attacker is a ship, the defending squadron or hull zone must be inside the attacking hull zone’s firing arc and at attack range of the attacking hull zone."

The word "instead" implies all other aspects of this step still apply unless otherwise stated.

And so, instead of the defending hull zone needing to be at range of the attacking hull zone, it must be at attack range of the attacker's targeting token.

Edited by The Jabbawookie
Being incorrect
30 minutes ago, The Jabbawookie said:

From the rules reference attack sequence:

"If the attacker is a ship, the defending squadron or hull zone must be inside the attacking hull zone’s firing arc and at attack range of the attacking hull zone."

The word "instead" implies all other aspects of this step still apply unless otherwise stated.

And so, instead of the defending hull zone needing to be at range of the attacking hull zone, it must be at attack range of the attacker's targeting token.

A couple things, though.

1-Extreme range is defined as “beyond the length of the range ruler” with no bound on how far that extends. If it’s beyond the range ruler it’s extreme range.

2- Dice are gathered “based on the range measured from the attackers targeting token to ANY part of the defender’s ship...INSTEAD of the attack range.”

Since extreme range has no defined upper limit and dice are gathered based in the closest part of the defending ship, I think it’s a valid attack.

The way it’s written, it seems that you could attack a hull zone beyond long range of the targeting token.

I don’t like it. I don’t agree with it. But I (have to I guess) accept it.

Eh... dice are gathered as measured from the token to any part of the target ship.

That's all that matters.

5 hours ago, bkcammack said:

Can I theoretically actually attack a hull zone that is beyond long range of the ignition token?

Yes. Provided one of the defending ship's hull zones is at long range of the ignition token.

It's not likely to come up that often given the geometry required, but you might get a situation where you still have arc and line of sight on a hull zone further away that has fewer shields or is otherwise a better target.