Ronin Shugenja?

By Goken91, in Lore Discussion

I feel like everytime we hear about Ronin they are bushi. Are there ronin shugenja or does something about being dishonored cause them to lose their shugenja abilities?

There are Ronin Shujenja such as Toku and his followers who eventually become the Monkey Clan. But as far as the RPG goes, there is no deidicated class or school progression. There is a high probability that the Path of Waves Source Book will rectify that soon by providing several variations from Gaijin traditions to "domestic" Rokugan folk training and mysticism not associated with the noble families(Great or minor clan). While technically not within the "offially sanctioned" order, it is hard to deny their talents and abilities.

From a story-telling standpoint, Ronin Shugenja are few and far between in part because the Phoenix clan likes to scoup up such wild talent to add to their ranks. And even when such Shugenja do not join their ranks, they are likely visited often by the Kuni Witch Hunters, Asako inquisitors, Seppun Hidden Guard, and the Yogo Wardens to ensure those "rogue" Shugenja are not experimenting in forbidden practices such as Maho. Former Clan Shugenja who leave their families are another matter entirely.

Minor nitpick Fuzake Garou was a the shugenja follower of Toku (Bushi and founder of the Monkey Clan itself) and in old canon became the founder of the Monkey Clan shugenja family.

We know of one very powerful ronin shugenja in the current story. The old master of earth Rujo. My guess would be that's how a ronin shugenja is made. They'd start from a clan school then through circumstances they become a ronin. I would imagine it's also very rare considering how rare and useful shugenja are suppose to be in rokugan.

Edited by phillos

There's at least one "ronin" or peasant shugenja school coming in Path of Waves.

It is, of course, ridiculous to think that someone as spiritually polluted as a ronin or - heavens forfend! - a commoner could be blessed with the attention of the Kami. If it appears that this is the case, then there has clearly been a terrible mistake, one that will be remedied just as soon as the nearest shugenja family catches wind and has a librarian with excellent handwriting locate the records proving the nascent shaman’s properly elevated blood.

Oh man, Fuzake Garou... I wasn't around back then, but I did eventually get around to reading the Hidden Chicken cycle of fictions.

Worthwhile, if you want to see how L5R can be a comedy of all things!

1 hour ago, Myrion said:

Oh man, Fuzake Garou... I wasn't around back then, but I did eventually get around to reading the Hidden Chicken cycle of fictions.

Sounds fun. Where do I find that?

On 1/23/2020 at 2:58 PM, Lindhrive said:

It is, of course, ridiculous to think that someone as spiritually polluted as a ronin or - heavens forfend! - a commoner could be blessed with the attention of the Kami. If it appears that this is the case, then there has clearly been a terrible mistake, one that will be remedied just as soon as the nearest shugenja family catches wind and has a librarian with excellent handwriting locate the records proving the nascent shaman’s properly elevated blood.

Certainly that will be the excuse they make. If you have not already, I recommend reading the Phoenix Novella "The Sword and the Spirits". Isawa Kaito's "official history" according to Rokugani national archives is not what it seems. Me thinks a Ronin Shugenja's history will receive the same treatment.

Which is why librarians in Rokugan must have excellent handwriting skills!

On 1/28/2020 at 12:25 AM, Lindhrive said:

Which is why librarians in Rokugan must have excellent handwriting skills!

Well, of course. If for no other reason, it would not do to displease the fortune of calligraphy!

Edited by The_Shaman
On 1/23/2020 at 11:29 PM, Myrion said:

I have that tattoo.

To return on topic, Path of Waves introduces the Voice of the Wilds, a self-taught shugenja, Ronin-based. Nice school.

Courts of Stone recounts that what would become the Deer clan was founded in part by a shugenja who went ronin because her family did not approve of him marrying his wife. The story is on pp. 79-80.

Edited by jalrin

There's a Kitsune shugenja school available in emerald empire that isn't necessarily clan affiliated.

In L5R, there are a few ways to become a ronin. One of the more common ways to be ronin is to be put on furlough.. essentially the clan says "we can't pay you to sit around and do nothing. go fend for yourself and we'll call you back when we need you." Of course, the spiritual purity of a clan must always be maintained, so a shugenja would never be doing nothing.. hence, shugenja are unlikely to get furloughed.

Another way to become ronin is for a peasant to gain the respect and attention of the samurai caste, but shugenja are uncommon in this group, because becoming shugenja requires somehow gaining the attention/favor of the spirits, which is usually the result of having spiritual essence in your blood meaning that you are already descended from a kami or from one of their spiritual allies.. actually, it's possible that your family has some kitsune blood or something, but if that mystical mixing took place more than two or three generations ago, your ancestors would likely have already been recruited into a clan, or fallen victim to heretical forces.

So what I'm getting at here is that not just anyone can be a shugenja (whereas anyone could pick up a weapon and fight), the clans are very proud and protective of their shugenja and try not to let them go, and in fact most clans actively recruit anyone that shows signs of being able to deal with spirits. Ronin shugenja DO come along occasionally for various reasons, but yes, they're extremely rare.

(sorry.. I could probably add more useful comments but I haven't slept in a while)