Integrating Legion miniatures into IA

By R2-3PO, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

In the interest of building my own content since FFG have all but killed off IA - I was wondering if anyone else had considered integrating any Legion miniatures into the game?

I know there are some scaling issues, but from what I've seen online they seem to vary depending on the models and which IA expansion they're compared to.

With a Core Legion set coming out with 39 Clone Wars miniatures (including Obi Wan and General Grievous) I'm considering making my own Clone Wars campaign using existing IA terrain and custom cards (using the IA suite that already exists)

Would be interested to hear people's thoughts on this. I'm also in process of integrating The Mandalorian into the campaign somewhere as well as I've had some decent models printed of him already.

Much as I love the game, I've just accepted that it is dead, and officially so by the end of March.

My kit will sit on the shelf, and the tiles will probably get used for D&D sometimes, but otherwise, I'm not giving FFG any more money just for them to stop supporting it (which is their right to do - I'm not bitter about that).

I will be very happy to see a fanmade compaign using the CIS minis from Legion.

Also, the scale is not really an issue for me, if you compare stormtrooper to stormtrooper you will see of course a difference. But if you consider the stuffs to not have a "standard size" (wookies can be huge and others are even more huge) it is ok.

I compared astromech as reference from both the games and it was ok for me

1 hour ago, onyersix said:

Much as I love the game, I've just accepted that it is dead, and officially so by the end of March.

My kit will sit on the shelf, and the tiles will probably get used for D&D sometimes, but otherwise, I'm not giving FFG any more money just for them to stop supporting it (which is their right to do - I'm not bitter about that).

If you don't mind me asking, what do you mean with "it is dead, and officially by the end of March"?

On 1/22/2020 at 7:43 PM, R2-3PO said:

In the interest of building my own content since FFG have all but killed off IA - I was wondering if anyone else had considered integrating any Legion miniatures into the game?

Absolutely! I do not play Legion at all, but I thought the minis were very well sculpted! Here are a triplets of elite Stormtroopers who ditched Legion and joined the fun in IA!!

1220349642_LegioninIA.jpg.16a7e764ec8ce2622b7b3dc85a2f1fbd.jpg

On 1/22/2020 at 7:43 PM, R2-3PO said:

I know there are some scaling issues, but from what I've seen online they seem to vary depending on the models and which IA expansion they're compared to.

I may be a bit extreme, but I grind Legion bases so they are the same height as the ones in IA. Therefore the "scaling issues" (which is not a real issue for me) is less important.

Edited by IanSolo_FFG
1 hour ago, Marakus said:

If you don't mind me asking, what do you mean with "it is dead, and officially by the end of March"?

My guess is he means March 2019. Likely when they officially said we'd be getting no new physical content.

On 1/29/2020 at 9:30 PM, subtrendy2 said:

My guess is he means March 2019. Likely when they officially said we'd be getting no new physical content.

Thanks!

I'm hoping for a reboot. Clone Wars wouldn't be as suitable for dungeon crawl as the original merc groups but you could do a tiny squad of clone troopers or Jedi trying to escape from the droid factory as one mission. It think it was best with old freighter and smugglers running around fighting an assortment of characters instead of just fighting stormtroopers over and over again. I think that's why Jabba's Palace was such a hit.

I have been collecting Legion content. As long as you base them on the thinner bases, their size is not noticeable. IANSolo, those look great on the table.

17 hours ago, Rikalonius said:

I have been collecting Legion content. As long as you base them on the thinner bases, their size is not noticeable. IANSolo, those look great on the table.

I have compared the size of IA r2d2 to the new star Wars legion R2D2

The IA astromech IS bigger :0) but the new from legion has so much more details, glade to the new plastic material

On 1/29/2020 at 8:30 PM, subtrendy2 said:

Indeed, I was making reference to the fact that the World Championships will be the last officially supported tournament, and they have already said they have no plans for further physical product.

You can interpret it as hopefully as you like, but their intention here is pretty clear.

I waited for a reprint of Shattered Empire for Twilight Imperium 3 for 2 years, while all the time there was never any comment about it not being reprinted, then they finally announced TI4.

Back to the topic at hand, I know that there are some height issues with the Legion scuplts, but can anyone tell me how well the base fits on to IA tiles? I'd hate to go out and order a set of Battle Droids only to find out they take up more than a single square on a tile. Haven't really been able to see any pics of Legion units on IA tiles to confirm this.

1 hour ago, Pollux85 said:

Back to the topic at hand, I know that there are some height issues with the Legion scuplts, but can anyone tell me how well the base fits on to IA tiles? I'd hate to go out and order a set of Battle Droids only to find out they take up more than a single square on a tile. Haven't really been able to see any pics of Legion units on IA tiles to confirm this.

It’s slightly larger. But not game breaker... at least in my opinion....

66BFF73C-2CBF-4C0A-A2A3-A6FAA0B5DAE9.jpeg

I was more interested in putting IA characters into Legion. They never supported skirmish like they should have or this game would still be alive.

Capt Terro would have fit perfectly as well as Kayn Somos, Royal Guard Champion, Grand Inquisitor, Sentry Droids, Thrawn, BT-1 & 000, Agent Blaise and Jet Troopers

On 2/3/2020 at 12:04 PM, Pollux85 said:

You have to base them anyway, you may as well buy slim, 1" bases, and not use the Legion one.

Also the large bases in Legion for things like Speeder bikes and Droideka are the same size as the 2x2 bases in IA for things like the Nexu and Jabba.

I currently am using Legion Leia and Legion Royal Guards on 1" bases instead of the boring IA sculpts, and Scott was using his Legion Vader on an IA base at the LVO tournament.

A droids size comparison betwen IA and SWL.

Clear bases are for IA.

As you can see R2D2 is same same in size compare to the SWL one (actualy a bit large

The C3PO from IA is a bit small in my opinion, even for the IA scale. But the one from Legion is really too big. he is about the size of a trooper, but C3PO should be 1m67 tall, no more.

0000205825.jpg

Also, the R2D2 from SWL have a different design compare to the IAs one.

It is a good thing as the IA one was wrong

0000205826.jpg

On 2/3/2020 at 1:47 PM, IanSolo_FFG said:

It’s slightly larger. But not game breaker... at least in my opinion....

66BFF73C-2CBF-4C0A-A2A3-A6FAA0B5DAE9.jpeg

FWIW, the IA Continuity Project is working on tournament regulations and guidelines for custom physical figures. With Legion trooper figures and figures from other game systems that bases larger than 1", we will be recommending using custom 1" bases. Having several of Legion bases that are wider than 1" will cause positioning problems on smaller maps.

The medium-sized Legion bases that @Tvboy mentioned above do fit neatly in a 2x2 square area on IA tiles, so they'll be ok to use.

I am doing the same - adding Legion miniatures to IA.

smzzz78vdvk41.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

2maco10t04m41.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a