Non-Force Sensitive PCs in a F&D campaign; good/bad idea?

By angelman2, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

Hey all,

I’m a noob to F&D (i.e. haven’t actually played it yet), and a novice of the FFG SW RPG (have played/ran in a total of 5 sessions), and I have a question. I recently bought a huge collection of used FFG SW RPG books, including several for F&D, so I’ll want to play the published scenarios at some point; in other words, I will be designing a F&D campaign based around those adventures.

My question is, do you guys recommend, for F&D in general and for the published scenarios in particular, all PCs to be Jedi? Or is there enough non-Jedi stuff going on in F&D/scenarios for things like ex-Clone Troopers and random non-Force-y bad-butts to have fun too? (Note, I have SO much FFG SW RPG on my hands right now that I have only skimmed the F&D content).

I am concerned that a Force focus campaign can sideline non-Force Sensitive PCs pretty fast. I find this to be an issue to look out for in regular campaigns with only a single Force Sensitive PC, as the moment you introduce Force stuff the campaign ups the ante but primarily for said Force Sensitive character, and this issue, I imagine, would be doubly relevant in a full Force-based campaign.

So, babbling cut short: What are all y’alls experience with non-Force Sensitive PCs in a Force-heavy campaign?

PS: I am asking from a story POV, not mechanics POV. Do the F&D game/scenarios have enough stuff to keep non-Force'ies interested, or is it better to do a full Jedi-immersion campaign?

Edited by angelman2

I've played in a few different F&D campaigns, and all but one of them had at least one PC who wasn't a Force user of some stripe.

Given that F&D uses the same core system as EotE and AoR, there's no hiccups with having a token muggle amongst a party of Force users.

As for storywise, said characters can still be involved in the story and contribute/participate in it, but they just won't get quite as much out of it. Though that can also depend on the character concept; a muggle PC with a spiritualistic bent (Chirrit Imwe) or invested in historical research/recovery will get more out of what is a typical F&D story than would a credit-hungry spacer or gung-ho freedom fighter. But as long as the player's on board with that (namely, they won't be in spotlight most of the time), and that you occasionally run adventures that cater more to the muggle than to the Force users, things should be fine.

Cool, thanks, @Donovan Morningfire

I assume we will go for x number of Jedi/similar +perhaps 1 or 2 Guardians of the Whills/Clone Troopers/random bad-butt alien, or similar hanger-on/sidekicks. One can always slot in the odd encounter/session/scenario that focuses on sidekick characters of course.

When it comes to the published scenarios though, they seem (from VERY quick scans) to revolve around fresh-Jedi-coming-to-terms-with-Force-stuff, right? Would it be difficult, you think, to work other types of PCs into those story lines? Or would the Clone Trooper, for instance, be just sitting around cleaning his gun until a bad dude or monster shows up? (I know I am over-complicating things here and I will of course be able to figure something out, I just wander how the scenarios run in RAW).

What I guess I'm asking is, do F&D/published scenarios specifically take into account non-Force PCs or are they (and the GM) on their own there?

Congrats on your purchase. And based on my experience, Force and Destiny adventures strictly cater to Force Users of some flavor. That's sort of the premise for a pure F&D game. The GM will need to do some work on their own to give the muggles a taste of the spotlight and meaningfulness.

You can blend Force Sensitives and non-FS characters easily. This is the first Star Wars system I have played that doesn't make Force user unbalanced. The XP people spend to gain Force powers, are instead used on useful talents and skills so it really balances out

What about a "force faithful" archaeologist-gunslinger who is an expert on Jedi and Sith lore ala Indiana Jones, Lara Croft, et al?

They may even know more lore than the force-sensitive PCs and their role would put them in the forefront of driving the narrative and action.

5 hours ago, angelman2 said:

What I guess I'm asking is, do F&D/published scenarios specifically take into account non-Force PCs or are they (and the GM) on their own there?

Sadly the F&D-centric published adventures don't, much as AoR-centric adventures don't take into account PCs who aren't tied/connected to the Rebellion. Most F&D adventures are indeed focused around young/inexperienced Force uses coming into their own with their powers, which they may or may not even fully understand, not unlike Luke in ANH or Ezra in Spark of Rebellion having zero clue about the Force, and finally having to square off against some Force-related threat/challenge.

@Vondy makes a good suggestion of perhaps the token muggle being of a more scholarly bent, not unlike Lor San Tekka from TFA, in that they might know much about the lore and doctrines of various Force traditions/cultures, as reflected by high starting ranks in the Knowledge (Lore) skill, but simply don't have the ability to use the Force themselves. The Scholar spec (EotE core) and Archaeologist spec (Enter the Unknown) are almost tailor-made for this sort of character.

Heck, if your party opts to go with the Mentor as their shared background resource, perhaps the muggle PC is the Mentor, lacking in Force powers themselves but having access to various resources that makes it easier for the actual Force users to learn new powers. This gives the muggle PC a strong incentive to go on adventures that revolve around broadening one's understanding of the Force; and there's nothing saying they couldn't learn to tap into the Force later on (represented mechanically by that character purchasing a universal spec that offers Force Rating 1).

51 minutes ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

The Scholar spec (EotE core) and Archaeologist spec (Enter the Unknown) are almost tailor-made for this sort of character.

Good specs, both, but Force Adherent (universal spec from Dawn of Rebellion) can also turn any muggle into a Lore virtuoso.

6 minutes ago, Edgehawk said:

Good specs, both, but Force Adherent (universal spec from Dawn of Rebellion) can also turn any muggle into a Lore virtuoso.

Combine Force adherant with Archaeologist...

I'm currently running a F&D Campaign, we're all new to the game and so we only have been using the F&D Core for characters.

All my 6 players are Force Sensitive, which is kinda a bit weird but it's working out ok. I think if we started over, a few would choose non Force Sensitive characters and I think that it would work out just fine.

Although we're using F&D, I'm running a much more Edge style campaign, and trickling in F&D elements. Everyone seems to be having a blast. Tbh, I think the best campaign would be to mix them all together. Let players play what they like, and cater your story to them, and give individuals their moments.

Mixed parties are great.

If you're trying to go by the book on Morality though, just be aware how the actions of the PCs who aren't subject to Conflict may affect those who are.

Basically, Force User's are obligated to try to prevent people from taking certain types of action (even if it's just to say, "Hey, don't do that!"), or they themselves take (a lesser amount of) Conflict.