Weapons range - rules confusion

By xCriticalStrikex, in Rules

At an event today and had an argument with the event judge.

When measuring attack range I measured from my unit leader. I then gathered my dice pool adding dice equal to the number of minis that had line of sight to the defender. However after doing so I was told that I couldn't add dice from individual minis that themselves were out of their own range of the attack because they were out of weapons range. Do you measure attack range from leader and then weapons range separately from each mini? I tried to push that you didn't but both judges were adamant I was incorrect but I couldn't back up my claim with confidence using the rules reference.

Thank you

Edited by xCriticalStrikex
Spelling and slight embellishment

It is also in Step 1. image.thumb.png.ffc40e130f36f73044d0239b1d89d6f4.png

Edited by Allos32
about step 1

Sounds like the event judge doesn't know so basic rules

So I pointed this out on the day and the judges insisted that weapons range and attack range were different things.

For example they said that if you got your unit leader into range 1 of an enemy but had a weapon that couldn't be fired at range one you couldn't then place that mini further back to be outside of range 1 because it's own weapon eligibility has to also include the leaders. They also reversed this in my situation where my unit leader was in range but my other troopers were too far away.

I've never even thought of reading the passage this way but that's how my flgs judges it.

If it was 40k they would be correct, but Legion makes it more simple. And the only thing the troopers are for is Line of sight for kills and for cover determination.

It can be very frustrating having judges who don’t know the basic rules of the game. Sorry!

But yeah, as pointed out above they were incorrect. They’re possibly influenced by rules from other games (I recall there was an argument at some point in XWing about two different types of “ranges”. Could be that, or 40k, or something else.)

Things that get me between games are the "At, within, completely within" types of wording as it changes just slightly enough to confuse you.

Have a copy of the rules to reference when you go to events. When you suspect (or know) you are right, pull up the rules and prove it.

Sooooo when performing a ranged attack against a unit, does the closest mini have to be WITHIN the leaders range or AT the leaders range? I have been trying to find this clarification in both the online RR and the Learn to play...…. 😐

this is the entire reason that the unit leader is the closest mini to the enemy, so that if they can shoot you you can shoot back (obviously if they have the same range weapons)

On 1/22/2020 at 8:06 PM, Mokoshkana said:

Have a copy of the rules to reference when you go to events. When you suspect (or know) you are right, pull up the rules and prove it.

More often than ever this is useless. Since that kind of judges have already read the rules. But they simply cannot understand them. So no matter how many times they read the rules, they still understand them wrongly.

There should be a version of the rules with just pictures

On 9/11/2020 at 4:05 AM, TB-79719 said:

Sooooo when performing a ranged attack against a unit, does the closest mini have to be WITHIN the leaders range or AT the leaders range? I have been trying to find this clarification in both the online RR and the Learn to play...…. 😐

At.

"If the base of the mini being measured to touches the raised line between two range ruler segments without crossing it, the mini is at the lower range segment that the line separates."

On 9/11/2020 at 8:05 AM, TB-79719 said:

leaders dont have a range, the weapons that they are using have a range band. Every weapon will have its range band printed on the card, most of them are range 1-3 so the minis that you are attacking can be anywhere in that range band.

On 9/12/2020 at 5:56 PM, toffolone said:

More often than ever this is useless. Since that kind of judges have already read the rules. But they simply cannot understand them. So no matter how many times they read the rules, they still understand them wrongly.

There should be a version of the rules with just pictures

If you have the rules in front of you, and you are interpreting the rules in such a way that both your opponent and the judge are against you, then perhaps you should rethink your position. In the rare situation that the judge is just completely wrong and reading/showing the rules to him/her doesn't work, then you just don't go to events with that person anymore.

Range is measured from your leader to the closest mini, for this line of sight does not matter.

Being able to contribute to the mmqttack requires libe of sight. So the leader could be at range 3 but not able to contribute to the attack because of line of sight.

Cover is taken from your leader to the opposing units figures so in the above case your other figures could have line of sight, however every figure in the opposing unit has heavy cover as there is no line of sight from the leader. (Meeting the at least 50% of figures having cover rule)

Edited by syrath