So Star Wars Destiny is over so that we can finally get a co-op Star Wars LCG, right?

By rogertravisjr, in Living Card Games

I mean, I know people love to play as the Sith and the Empire, but the success of Marvel Champions makes this a no-brainer, right?

(/happydance)

Very surprising. I thought Destiny was doing well. I wonder if this is the beginning of a shift toward supporting less games, but supporting those remaining games better. Also an indication that Keyforge is where they are putting their muscle in the collectible card game format. Rightfully so considering there is no other product like Keyforge out there and it's unlikely there will be competition due to the nature of that game's format.

My only concern with putting out another co-op LCG is that they might be cannibalizing their existing audience. We have 3 right now and soon we'll have two, but still two seems like alot when I see many of the same names playing these LCGs. I guess they gotta do some sort of analysis to figure out how many customers they have for a Star Wars game that are not into Marvel or Arkham (and LOTR at least in the near future). I know I only ever budget for two monthly card games. Right now that's Champions and Arkham. If they release a Star Wars Co-op and it's good they'll make me make a hard decision about cutting one of the others. It probably won't be Arkham considering that game is still ridiculously good.

Edited by phillos

Good points, though I think Marvel Champions definitely seems to be expanding the market. I would spring for $50 a month, if the games stay as good as they are now, and that basically covers three (though math is not my strong suit) (nor is keeping my wallet in my pocket when a game has gripped me the way these games have).

I think FFG have a huge amount to pay for the licence Star Wars, but not bigger in fonction of the number of games launched. This is the reason why they launched so much of them ... But until now, no end of a Star Game before with no new game counterpart. Imperial assault almost died, we had Legion. So with the end of Destiny, I don't see FFG keeping the IP out of the card game lines, specially if they are the most money-bearer of them.

So I'm really hyped about something like a coop LCG coming !!!! Hope we will see at next gen-con !! Jar-Jar-Binks hero card in the core please !!

It is notable that soon there will only be 3 LCGs and 1 collectible game from the FFG card game team. I do wonder if there will be a new game announced this year or if they are consolidating and putting all their resources in their remaining titles.

I will note they do have a nice focus with their remaining 4 games. Two competitive with one being collectible and the other being living. One fantasy themed and the other sci fi themed. Then two cooperative with one being campaign based and the other being a more casual format. One horror themed and the other super hero themed. Mechanically and thematically they don't have much of overlap right now.

I did see a fan created Star Wars scenario of Marvel already. It was pretty cool

8 hours ago, Ywingscum said:

I did see a fan created Star Wars scenario of Marvel already. It was pretty cool

Oh nice! Link if possible?

1 hour ago, rogertravisjr said:

Oh nice! Link if possible?

Sorry it was on a discord I’m no longer on. It was Director Krennic as the villain and death troopers as minions. It was really well done.

Destiny, just like Runewars failing surprised a lot of people because both seemed to be getting a lot of hype and Destiny even looked like it might have some staying power. The truth however is that your not a success unless your in your 5th year selling out expansions so both games (Destiny in particular) was a long way from being a success.

I think FFG has had a lot more success with its LCG's, in particular the cooperative ones and I think they should stick to that format. I know Keyforge right now is the hot ticket item, but I'm 100% certain two years from now that game will be canceled. The whole "each deck unique" is nothing more than a gimmick that is going to wear out its welcome very quickly and as a game, Keyforge is really just a really **** solo game that you play together. No way that game makes it past its own hype.

Marvel has a much better chance and so would a cooperative Star Wars LCG.

I am calling it right now: Star Wars Co-Op LCG announced at GenCon!

I hope not I don’t have the time or the money for a SW coop! Haha

On 1/14/2020 at 1:48 PM, phillos said:

Very surprising. I thought Destiny was doing well. I wonder if this is the beginning of a shift toward supporting less games, but supporting those remaining games better. Also an indication that Keyforge is where they are putting their muscle in the collectible card game format. Rightfully so considering there is no other product like Keyforge out there and it's unlikely there will be competition due to the nature of that game's format.

My only concern with putting out another co-op LCG is that they might be cannibalizing their existing audience. We have 3 right now and soon we'll have two, but still two seems like alot when I see many of the same names playing these LCGs. I guess they gotta do some sort of analysis to figure out how many customers they have for a Star Wars game that are not into Marvel or Arkham (and LOTR at least in the near future). I know I only ever budget for two monthly card games. Right now that's Champions and Arkham. If they release a Star Wars Co-op and it's good they'll make me make a hard decision about cutting one of the others. It probably won't be Arkham considering that game is still ridiculously good.

I posted about Destiny awhile back. They botched it imo. There was only one store that had packs, GameStop never restocked new packs (I got the only core set left at my local GameStop for super cheap and brand new). FFG never advertised the game on tv. I understand they're not Hasbro, but they have to do more to get the word out and make these great games more available.

I saw one before it was pretty awesome

Tutuapp 9apps Showbox

Edited by elenaXoxo

I'll bet we get an announcement during the digital gencon, and I'll bet it'll take place during the Golden Age.

On 6/8/2020 at 6:18 PM, eristotle said:

I'll bet we get an announcement during the digital gencon, and I'll bet it'll take place during the Golden Age.

As much as I'd love a co-op Star Wars game, I can't help thinking they'd want to get Champions more established - especially with the delays of the last couple months - before introducing a new game that would surely target many of the same players. But I'm much newer to this biz than most of you who probably have a much better idea of how things work.

I concur, right now, Marvel Champions need some love and attention. I wouldn't spread my focus if I were them, because other disappointing surprises like those of Destiny and Runewars (both games are great, right ?) or that UFO DiskWars years ago will happen and it would sadden me to See Marvel go to the waste because of a lack of focus. And my wallet would be grateful if they didn't release another great LCG right now :D