Resistance 3po in Epic.

By Rakaydos, in X-Wing Epic Play

So Resistance 3P0 lets you coordinate at any range, as long as the target has Calculate on it's action bar.

ANY range.

So how can we optimize this?

A quick look through YASB for Resistance comes up with 2 droid pilots, and 1 (non-3po) crew that grants calculate. Epic ships also have access to generic teams that grant calculate.

Which pilots? BB8 on the Transport pod, who has a free red boost each turn, and R1J5, on the Fireball. Which is a racing craft and the stats back it up. Both of these pilots seem decent for taking the fight to the opponent's deployment zone, and away from whichever ship is doing the coordinating. Saftey in distance.

If the plan is to show up on the enemy's doorstep on the first turn with the fireball, it might help to have a bit of fire support. Resistance Han can be deployed ANYWHERE that isnt actually in range 3 of the enemy. (throw on Engine upgrade and the calculate bot, mebbie Rey gunner and/or Debris Gambit for survivability)

And epic ships have access to long range weaponry. Unfortunately, it looks like Resistance doesnt have the CR90, only the Transport. But even the transport can take a range 4 ion weapon, and close in it can give other ships shield regen. (is it worth giving the fireballs shield upgrade for this?)

Wings are a bit tricky. BB8 is in a ship with all unique crew, and is already one of the cheapest pilots in the pack. And the other cheap pilot wants to be in the back rank of any wing. (Rose tico- if you attack or defend, get rerolls equal to the number of allied ships in the attacker's arc. Back rank means 3 friendlies in the front arc and a high probibility of 3 allies in an enemy arc) That leaves BB8 with Finn and Vi as wingmen, plus potentially Rose in the #4 slot.

The Fireball is a bit easier, as it has generic pilots than can follow the "Kaz's fireball". Unfortunately, while they can follow a slam, they recieve the disarm token without technically performing a SLAM, and so the ship ability does not trigger. Holdo can steal a disarm token if she's in range 1-2, but that disarms a ship in combat that has a crew slot- so probably BB8. He's just the driver, his wingmen do the actual shooting.

R1-J5 (29)
Cluster Missiles (5)
Coaxium Hyperfuel (2)
Advanced SLAM (3)
Kaz's Fireball (2)

Ship total: 41 Half Points: 21 Threshold: 3

Colossus Station Mechanic (26)
Proton Rockets (7)

Ship total: 33 Half Points: 17 Threshold: 3

Proton Rockets (7)

Proton Rockets (7)

New Republic Volunteers (55)
Ion Cannon Battery (5)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)
Damage Control Team (3)

Ship total: 68 Half Points: 34 Threshold: 8

Han Solo (Resistance) (65)
Proton Rockets (7)
PZ-4CO (6)
Rey (14)

Ship total: 92 Half Points: 46 Threshold: 6

BB-8 (26)
Debris Gambit (4)
Ferrosphere Paint (6)
Amilyn Holdo (8)
Veteran Wing Leader (2)

Ship total: 46 Half Points: 23 Threshold: 2

Rose Tico (26)
Trick Shot (4)
Ferrosphere Paint (6)

Ship total: 36 Half Points: 18 Threshold: 2

Vi Moradi (27)
Ferrosphere Paint (6)

Ship total: 33 Half Points: 17 Threshold: 2

Finn (29)
Heroic (1)
Ferrosphere Paint (6)

Ship total: 36 Half Points: 18 Threshold: 2

Logistics Division Pilot (32)
C-3PO (Resistance) (6)
Tactical Officer (6)

Ship total: 44 Half Points: 22 Threshold: 4

Total: 495

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Resistance&d=v8ZeZ500Z379X98WW310W104WW315WY380X102WWWWWWY380X102WWWWWWY380X102WWWWWWY372XW269W138WWW277WWY245XW102W246WW187WWWWY349X118W198W242WW259Y345X133W198WWWY348X198WWWY350X172W198WWWY346XWWW191W61WWW&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

what can be improved here?

As far as I undertand you, you want to optimize the ordnance carriers. But Protons require Focus, not TL, and they also require a Bullseye, which is...optimistic for the generics?

Also, what's the Ion Turret on the GR75 doing for you?

You have a lot of ships in this that easily go "poof", not even talking about the cost of buying, what, four resistance transport pods?!

I fear you're building a list around a lot of gadget-y stuff without being able to really deliver or endure.

Of course, I might be wrong. :)

I'm trying to optimise "palpshuttle" style tactics, using C3PO's infinite range coordinate and the two fighters I can use him with.

The prockets are more for capital ship hunting, but with all the 2 die attacks, that's probably not my problem- so dropping it to Clusters on all Fireballs gives me a bit more anti-wing punch.

Ion turret is just a bit more close-in firepower. It's got a good range to set up a target to be rammed, but it can also cover the flanks and rear against targets too close for the ion battery.

Putting M9G8 on the Droid transport lets it get a round 1 lock on a friendly wingleader or capital ship, and mod dice until the target goes down. as long as the lock was achieved first, that's another thing the droid transport can do while running away.

Well, I'm curious to see what comes out of it. Be sure to write an after-action report!

6 hours ago, Rakaydos said:

what can be improved here?

You can only coordinate one ship with this trick while you have three, so each round only one of these ship can profit.

I think you should consider this more of a buddy team for two ships in a list with more diverse tactics.

*looks at avatars* WHY ARE YOU TALKING TO YOURSELF!?

*looks at names* Oh. Nevermind.

--

Anyway, I like the idea. I had the same kind of thought, trying to get some use out of that long-range coordinate. I ended up scrapping it because I couldn't get the pieces to work in a satisfactory way. I think Han Solo with droid crew on board is about as strong of a ship as you can ask for that will appreciate the coordinate and (hopefully) live long enough to make it count. The Fireball ... not so much. Might be fun to give it a try, though.

8 hours ago, Singulativ said:

You can only coordinate one ship with this trick while you have three, so each round only one of these ship can profit.

I think you should consider this more of a buddy team for two ships in a list with more diverse tactics.

Comms Team could be helpful here. "After you perform a coordinate action, you may spend up to 2 energy to coordinate that many additional ships at range 0-1 of the ship you coordinated." You could choose your ship with calculate, and then pick ships that are flying close to it and coordinate them as well!

...or does the fact that it doesn't say "ignoring range restrictions" mean that this card also falls flat (much like Targeting Battery)?

You also need the Boosted Comms, but that really pushes the cost in points and energy.

15 hours ago, Stefan said:

You also need the Boosted Comms, but that really pushes the cost in points and energy.

Why? The resistance transport with 3PO cant take it, and the GR75 wants to be at range 2.

Edit: C3po explicitly says "beyond range 2", which for coordinate is the same as "ignoring range restrictions". Just like the Rebel Ewing just says "beyond range 3"

Edited by Rakaydos