Weapon Pod for VCX-100 Freighters and Similar Ships

By Sarone, in Star Wars: Age of Rebellion RPG

Random idea: A modified container that acts as a weapon pod for a VCX-100 Freighter. What do you think?

The idea has been around for a long time, though I have yet to see anyone commenting about it. As such, I would like to post it here as it seems to have been glossed over by FFG for the Ghost and Standard VCX-100 Freighter profiles. Namely, it lacks the magnetic grapple system and secondary/ventral cargo slot as well as the omission of the fighter bay/slot that houses the auxiliary fighter/Phantom 1/Phantom 2.

Has anyone else thought of doing something like this? I have put it on the facebook page and one person recommended setback dice and a difficulty upgrade/increase. What do you all think?

On 1/11/2020 at 9:52 PM, Sarone said:

Namely, it lacks the magnetic grapple system and secondary/ventral cargo slot as well as the omission of the fighter bay/slot that houses the auxiliary fighter/Phantom 1/Phantom 2.

EotE core covers docking clamps, which would support both these things if you so desired. Many also believe the Ghost had the Retrofit Hanger option to handle the Phantoms, which is an also valid point of view on that.

As for a weapons pod, I'm not 100% clear on how that would be significantly different from just adding on more weapons conventionally.

I doubt you'll see any official rules for it, but if your GM is OK with it and it's not outrageous, go for it. The Phantom docking modification is a good example of the kind of creative thing you could do with a starship in this system. An external weapons pod would probably affect handling, especially in atmosphere, but I could see that working.

I had a PC party that used a Cargo Master. They had a "Mining Master" version for their extended belter family. The craft could land, unload all of its modules, then "bob tail" around without the modules. There was a life support module, living module, etc. They would make an extended base camp on whatever world or asteroid they were mining on allowing the ship to go on supply runs or missions. When the ship was at the base camp, the "family" of course returned to the more spacious rooms, but kept the modules attached (see example in 2nd image below). I had adjusted stats for the ship without the cargo modules (better maneuver, less threshold).

Deckplans of Full Ship: Int_Full.jpg?attachauth=ANoY7cpgCZJkIaNr

Their last mining site:

PethSite.jpg?attachauth=ANoY7cpw5sFl5FLm

12 hours ago, Sturn said:

I had a PC party that used a Cargo Master. They had a "Mining Master" version for their extended belter family. The craft could land, unload all of its modules, then "bob tail" around without the modules. There was a life support module, living module, etc. They would make an extended base camp on whatever world or asteroid they were mining on allowing the ship to go on supply runs or missions. When the ship was at the base camp, the "family" of course returned to the more spacious rooms, but kept the modules attached (see example in 2nd image below). I had adjusted stats for the ship without the cargo modules (better maneuver, less threshold).

Deckplans of Full Ship: Int_Full.jpg?attachauth=ANoY7cpgCZJkIaNr

Their last mining site:

PethSite.jpg?attachauth=ANoY7cpw5sFl5FLm

Well done! The bobtail cargo master is actually pretty neat looking!

The nubian design collective whole vehicle crafting handbook has rules for modular pods which can handle what you want