Help me choose which Imperial huge ship to buy

By LUZ_TAK, in X-Wing Epic Play

Greetings! I recently purchased a CR90.

I play casually with friends and family and I supply all ships for both sides (have Rebel, Imperial and Scum as factions). Because budget and storage issues, I will not keep purchasing huge ships, but I do want one “counterpart” for the CR90. I still haven’t got the epic expansion or checked the rules, stats or other trove of info out there, me bad. I just jumped ship with the purchase for the bargain.

Question: Which Imperial ship should I get to be a good match for the CR90 and its fighter wings? I like the menacing look of the Raider, but perhaps it would be a better match/more fun/better fit to get a different ship to fight my CR90-enabled Rebels. Which would you recommend?

Txs for your input.

Edited by LUZ_TAK
Removed wrong amazon listing

Since you have a CR90, get a Raider. Those two look great on the table. Raider went up in price on the secondary market when FFG said that aren't producing a Second Edition version. So if the Raider is too expensive settle for a Gozanti - they are pretty great, too.

Did you actually get a CR90? Because, at the link that you provided, the picture is indeed of a CR90, but the description is of the Epic Multi-Player Expansion. Looks like an error.

That Amazon listing might be for the Epic box, not Tantive.

Agree, Raider would be my suggestion.

20 minutes ago, Hunting Phoenix said:

That Amazon listing might be for the Epic box, not Tantive.

My friend just fell for that one and had to return it. I didn't catch that link first time I read the original post.

Wow, txs for the headup. I'll see what will I do with the purchase... I just reported the error anyway.

Question stands nevertheless: which ship would you recommend?

The Imperial Raider is a good match vs. CR-90.

The Gozanti actually appears in a movie, if that matters to you, while the Raider does not.

Raider. Raider. Raider.

5 hours ago, Stefan said:

Raider. Raider. Raider.

It's true. In I've heard nothing but good things about the Raider in Second Edition. As for the Gozanti in Second Edition, I've heard nothing but...yeah, I've heard nothing. (I mean I like it, but people don't rave about it the same way they do about the Raider. That thing gets smothered in adoration).

I had it on the table twice, and it underperformed both times.

20 hours ago, Parakitor said:

Since you have a CR90, get a Raider. Those two look great on the table. Raider went up in price on the secondary market when FFG said that aren't producing a Second Edition version. So if the Raider is too expensive settle for a Gozanti - they are pretty great, too.

Where did you see FFG will not produce a second edition Raider?

22 minutes ago, WanouMars said:

Where did you see FFG will not produce a second edition Raider?

Uuhhhh...hang on I can't remember. It was the X-wing Discord I think. Somebody posted it on one of my groups. Raider, Reaper, and Saw's Renegades have all been cancelled/postponed due to surplus stock of First Edition product.

Postponed AFAIK. But for quite a while.

10 hours ago, Parakitor said:

It's true. In I've heard nothing but good things about the Raider in Second Edition. As for the Gozanti in Second Edition, I've heard nothing but...yeah, I've heard nothing. (I mean I like it, but people don't rave about it the same way they do about the Raider. That thing gets smothered in adoration).

Most people at this point are playing 500 pt slugfests. Of course the Raider is a better ship for that. Where I think the Gozanti will shine is in the Epic Battles missions. The point costs isn't too high for a base version of the ship and it can do a lot, as well as be hard to kill.

Think of the various points levels for the Epic Battles scenarios. Many are 300 points where a Raider might not be the smartest choice. Gozantis can slip in rather cheap with few upgrades...or rather targeted upgrades based on your list and the mission.

In another thread, its come out that it can be a big advantage for ships holding objectives and "escaping" off the board edge. The FAQ says that if a scenario says one ship can "escape" per turn and earn victory points and that ship has others docked on it, those ships are also considered "escaped" (aka scored VPs). This is a huge advantage to win a game. When you have 300 pts to spend and need to have so many ships in your list, the Gozanti can be a good choice. Go full speed for the exit and it turns into "can they kill you fast enough before you get off the board edge".

From the above post I assume that the Raider has no option to dock smaller ships, right?

17 minutes ago, LUZ_TAK said:

From the above post I assume that the Raider has no option to dock smaller ships, right?

The Corvus title let's you dock 2 ships. It is Imperial only title (not First Order). It costs points. It also prevents you from using a different title.

Raider with Corvus title only is 153 pts.

Gozanti with nothing is 60 pts.

That should show the disparity in cost and efficiency for each ship. The Raider is a beast and can do a lot more than the Gozanti, but it costs more. That means less other ships in the list. The Gozanti isn't useless, but it also doesn't hog up your points for the rest of your list. Epic Battles has different scenarios at different points levels. Some are 250, 300, 400, and 500 points. Different tools for different jobs.

You can still build an effective 500 point list with a Gozanti, but you will be hard pressed to build a 300 point list with the Raider. What type of games are you wanting to play? If only 500 points, then the Raider. If you think you will really get into Epic Battles (boxed set of scenarios for only $25 - includes the rules for Wings) then I might recommend the Gozanti.

The Raider is really cool. It is fun.

The Gozanti doesn't evoke the same excitement as blasting your opponents to space dust, but it's hardly a crap ship.

2 hours ago, heychadwick said:

Most people at this point are playing 500 pt slugfests. Of course the Raider is a better ship for that. Where I think the Gozanti will shine is in the Epic Battles missions. The point costs isn't too high for a base version of the ship and it can do a lot, as well as be hard to kill.

Think of the various points levels for the Epic Battles scenarios. Many are 300 points where a Raider might not be the smartest choice. Gozantis can slip in rather cheap with few upgrades...or rather targeted upgrades based on your list and the mission.

In another thread, its come out that it can be a big advantage for ships holding objectives and "escaping" off the board edge. The FAQ says that if a scenario says one ship can "escape" per turn and earn victory points and that ship has others docked on it, those ships are also considered "escaped" (aka scored VPs). This is a huge advantage to win a game. When you have 300 pts to spend and need to have so many ships in your list, the Gozanti can be a good choice. Go full speed for the exit and it turns into "can they kill you fast enough before you get off the board edge".

Absolutely true. I've yet to try the scenarios, I want to do slugfests first. I love these games. However: The Rebel Transport is great even in 500 point games. I feel the Gozanti underperforms relative to the Transport, not so much to the Raider.

2 hours ago, LUZ_TAK said:

It can, the Corvus title. However, I don't know yet how powerful this ability is. Until now, docking has been extremely underwhelming for me. Another reason why I'm loath to pay the surtax on the Gozanti over the Transport.

1 hour ago, heychadwick said:

The Corvus title let's you dock 2 ships. It is Imperial only title (not First Order). It costs points. It also prevents you from using a different title.

Raider with Corvus title only is 153 pts.

Gozanti with nothing is 60 pts.

That should show the disparity in cost and efficiency for each ship. The Raider is a beast and can do a lot more than the Gozanti, but it costs more. That means less other ships in the list. The Gozanti isn't useless, but it also doesn't hog up your points for the rest of your list. Epic Battles has different scenarios at different points levels. Some are 250, 300, 400, and 500 points. Different tools for different jobs.

You can still build an effective 500 point list with a Gozanti, but you will be hard pressed to build a 300 point list with the Raider. What type of games are you wanting to play? If only 500 points, then the Raider. If you think you will really get into Epic Battles (boxed set of scenarios for only $25 - includes the rules for Wings) then I might recommend the Gozanti.

The Raider is really cool. It is fun.

The Gozanti doesn't evoke the same excitement as blasting your opponents to space dust, but it's hardly a crap ship.

True.