Quick rules questions

By Stefan, in X-Wing Epic Play

I have an a collection of miscellaneous rules questions after a few games. Maybe you guys can help out. This thread is intended to serve as a general conduit for quick and dirty questions of this kind.

1) When I'm having a turret hardpoint installed on a Huge Ship, I need to define whether it's in the back or front stand. I'm not really sure yet, though, if a turret that is mounted in the front, for example, can fire out the back arc (when the marker is turned, of course) and from where range is measured. Can someone enlighten me?

2) Do I need to fire the primary attack of a huge ship first, or can I start with bonus attacks?

3) If I have two teams granting a linked Calculate action, I can still only benefit once, correct?

6 hours ago, Stefan said:

1) When I'm having a turret hardpoint installed on a Huge Ship, I need to define whether it's in the back or front stand. I'm not really sure yet, though, if a turret that is mounted in the front, for example, can fire out the back arc (when the marker is turned, of course) and from where range is measured. Can someone enlighten me?

Correct, a front-mounted turret on a huge ship can shoot out the back if the indicator is pointing to the back arc. Page 32 of the Rule Reference (and page 8 of the Huge Ship Rulebook), under "Turret Arc Indicators" says:

"Regardless of whether a turret arc indicator is on the front or rear mount, its firing arcs are always measured from the center of the ship, not from the mount. Additionally, regardless of which mount they are on, both indicators behave similarly and occupy the arc they are pointing toward."

2) Do I need to fire the primary attack of a huge ship first, or can I start with bonus attacks?

Nope, you can fire in any order. Page 30 of the Rules Reference says under "Bonus Attacks":

"When an attack granted by a special weapon has the “Bonus Attack:” header, a huge ship equipped with that upgrade may perform the listed bonus attack while it engages, before or after its standard attack."

3) If I have two teams granting a linked Calculate action, I can still only benefit once, correct?

Correct. One Calculate action per round on your huge ship. I missed this one the first couple of games. Usually linked actions are red, so you would never be able to take another action, but somehow the linked calculate escaped my notice, and I just did them all. Oops. I know now.

Edited by Parakitor

What I stumble over is the "center of the ship". What does that mean?

The front arc and the back arc of a huge ship origin from the center of the base, just like those of a normal ship. Normal ships just have the stem in the center.

Edited by RikuM
typo
15 hours ago, Stefan said:

What I stumble over is the "center of the ship". What does that mean?

Basically what they don't want you to do is draw a line from the back peg to your target. That's not where the arc originates. It follows the arc lines printed in the ship token just like any other ship. As @RikuM points out, the peg on all other ships happens to be in the center of the ship, so it may be easy to think that you measure from the peg.

This is especially problematic when you point the front turret backwards and say, "look, the ship is in the turret arc" when in actuality it's in the side arc. Hmm...a picture would help.

BRB

EDIT: I'm back!

49348135618_e3dfa0ffcb.jpg

Don't do this. Yes, there are lines around the pegs for who knows what reason. But when you measure arcs use the printed arcs that intersect at the center of the ship. In the picture above, you can see that a ship in the side arc may be misconstrued as being in the rear arc if you measure the arc from the turret incorrectly. Does that make more sense?

Edited by Parakitor
4 hours ago, Parakitor said:

Basically what they don't want you to do is draw a line from the back peg to your target. That's not where the arc originates. It follows the arc lines printed in the ship token just like any other ship. As @RikuM points out, the peg on all other ships happens to be in the center of the ship, so it may be easy to think that you measure from the peg.

This is especially problematic when you point the front turret backwards and say, "look, the shop is in the turret arc" when in actuality it's in the side arc. Hmm...a picture would help.

BRB

EDIT: I'm back!

49348135618_e3dfa0ffcb.jpg

Don't do this. Yes, there are lines around the pegs for who know what reason. But when you measure arcs use the printed arcs that intersect at the center of the ship. In the picture above, you can see that a ship in the side arc may be misconstrued as being in the rear arc if you measure the arc from the turret incorrectly. Does that make more sense?

It absolutely does. Huge relief, did it right :)

What those **** center lines are good for, I don't know either. Weird.

Without the arc lines around the peg, how would you know where the border of the side, fore and rear arc is for your indicator. :P

I know, I know, we don't have fine increments, and putting the thing to the side/rear is real obvious without markers, but that's the idea behind their existence.

The Arcs on the centre of the ship are the only ones that matter for shooting though.

Edited by Bort

I'm silly. Just realized the lines around the pegs probably help guide where to hole punch the board. In fact, if your pegs don't fit in your cardboard base well, I bet you'll find that the lines aren't all the same length because the hole was not centered.

I had to cut mine a lot larger because they don't fit at all.

What those **** center lines are good for, I don't know either. Weird.

They are for Reinforce tokens. Are they front or back? Where is front or back? The line in the center helps determine where you Reinforce.

I think we're talking about different things. I mean the short lines around the pegs. The middle line is essential for crits, too.

Edited by Stefan
On 1/8/2020 at 1:10 AM, Bort said:

Without the arc lines around the peg, how would you know where the border of the side, fore and rear arc is for your indicator. :P

I know, I know, we don't have fine increments, and putting the thing to the side/rear is real obvious without markers, but that's the idea behind their existence.

I'm believe that is the right answer.

Can someone tell me the exact interactions of gunners with Huge Ships? I feel that Veteran Turret Gunner, for example, does nothing for you. Is that right? And how about Bistan? Can I fire the same turret twice?

13 hours ago, Stefan said:

Can someone tell me the exact interactions of gunners with Huge Ships? I feel that Veteran Turret Gunner, for example, does nothing for you. Is that right? And how about Bistan? Can I fire the same turret twice?

I don't think so currently, since you cannot equip a icon.php?icon=turret upgrade and a icon.php?icon=gunner on any of the huge ships.

If you could equip a those upgrades (Dorsal Turret or Ion Cannon Turret) and one of those gunners then they would provide an opportunity to perform a bonus attack using that turret upgrade, since the Attack: header does not provide a bonus attack on its own. The Bonus Attack: already provides an opportunity for a bonus attack by itself.

Edit: Other gunners can still have effects like Agile Gunner, Fifth Brother or BT-1, but most of the double tap gunners don't help.

Edited by joeshmoe554

Yeah, I mean I can put two gunners on a CR90, but...why?!

9 hours ago, Stefan said:

Yeah, I mean I can put two gunners on a CR90, but...why?!

Free Rotate actions,

Bonus Attacks with Turret upgrades some huge ships can equip,

since you can make multiple attacks you yourself can benefit from Hotshot Gunner,

for Rebels: Force Point by equipping Luke or Ezra.

Do changes in the dial such as R2 astromech apply to wingmates?

I think you mean the R4 Astromech?

No, because, Epic RR:

After it is placed in formation, a wingmate is treated as having fully executed the maneuver on the wing leader’s dial . This includes the speed, color, and bearing of the wing leader’s maneuver.

RR:

Q: How do abilities that alter the speed, diffculty, and/or bearing of a maneuver that a ship reveals during its Reveal Dial step and executes during its Execute Maneuver step resolve? [...]
A: R4 Astromech and Damaged Engine ( and other constant effects that alter the diffculty of a maneuver , [...]) apply only during the Execute Maneuver step and for effects that trigger after that ship executes a maneuver. [...]

The leaders R4 Astromech is only in effect during his Execute Manuever step. Each wingmate therefore only executes the maneuver as is on the dial.

Each wingmate needs his own R4 to be in effect during his Execute Manuever step (and I kinda assume that the Moving Wingmate step is the very same since otherwise a Damaged Engine would equally not affect the wingmate).

That makes sense. Thanks!

What is the time limit for a 500 point game? 200 points is 75 minutes.

9 hours ago, Stefan said:

Assuming 500 points is roughly equivalent to 300 points 1.0, and based off my experience in 2.0, I think 3 hours is appropriate. You might be able to get away with 2.5 hours. However, I don't think there is any official word on time limit because it's generally accepted that it's a casual format.

21 hours ago, Stefan said:

I generally think of a game as "1 hour per 200 points." However, this is play time only, so folks who have nothing ready are going to take a lot longer to set up.

My first 500 point game took 2.5 hours of play time from 1st dials to concession (we do not play til last man standing}. "XWM Game night" took 4 hours thanks to food, set up, shooting the breeze and tear down. But, that's the point for us; a social night out.

I think I'll take the Armada time limit. 135 minutes. I'll try it and report.

Another rules question: Roak Garnet - does he allow a CR90 to fire ALL ITS ATTACKS at Initiative 7? This would be...holy....

4 hours ago, Stefan said:

Another rules question: Roak Garnet - does he allow a CR90 to fire ALL ITS ATTACKS at Initiative 7? This would be...holy....

Roark does not work with huge ships because RR p. 35:

“A huge ship’s initiative cannot be altered, and it cannot be caused to engage at an initiative step other than its engagement value.“

(Han on the ther hand works, because he let‘s you perform an attack at a certain initiative.)

Would he also trigger bonus attacks?