do advantages cancel threats during attack roles

By lunitic501, in Star Wars: Age of Rebellion RPG

new to the game just got the AOR core book. i understand that advantages and threats cancel each other out during a normal skill check, but do they cancel each other out during a combat roll or is it possible to have both?

The dice work the same regardless of whether you’re in combat or not. So no, you can’t have net Threat and new Advantage at the same time. They always cancel each other out on a 1:1 ratio. Super simple.

Just remember triumphs and despairs do not camcel each other. The success and failure portion can be cancelled though.

I'd have to go through the AoR core again, but in the how to spend advantage table one of the options was for canceling threat. So I think the only things that actually cancel each other out are successes and failures.

8 hours ago, Aggressor97 said:

So I think the only things that actually cancel each other out are successes and failures.

No. See under "Interpreting the Pool" in any of the core rulebooks (e.g. p. 31 FaD). It describes the cancellation of Success and Failure, as well as Advantage and Threat. And how Triumph and Despair are interpreted separately, since the triumph/despair part doesn't cancel, only the success/failure part.

Edited by GM Fred
Failed: success/advantage -> success/failure

Failures cancel success and threats cancel advantages not the other way around.

Ok, makes sense