FFG Shuts Vault Down

By any2cards, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

This was posted on BGG by athlim. I thought I would post it here as well:

FFG recently announced they gonna close some of their scenario editor tools. If you want to save some of the scenarios you should do so asap.
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/more/tools/

Deadline is January 21st

We can hope that the "big thing" that was mentioned in the AMA months ago for "new" Descent-world content is an improved working vault.

Edited by any2cards

Wasn't it mentioned by Navarro? Isn't Navarro stepping out? Why is he stepping out? To me, 2+2 is always 4. It seems the same story as when Christiansen stepped out 😉

My impression is that Asmodee is "closing FGG" (i.e. converting it to 4 or 5 mainstreams and Terrinoth is not one of them) . No serious project since Asmodee stepped in 😞

Asmodee is just looking for immediate money, nothing else is important to them 😞

P.S. Also the Sadler bros stepped out (although they were "just" designers, i.e. no senior managers). It seems that everyone who wants to do something in the Terrinoth environment has to ... look for other partners 😉

Is there an FFG source for this announcement?

EDIT:

Edited by spanish
added source

While I'm disappointed the Vault is closing down, I'm actually glad we're getting definitive closure for the tool. Somehow that's better than an increasingly long drought of care. This also lights a fire to complete my transfer away from vault hosting and design of my custom quests.

Edited by Zaltyre

My impression is that Asmodee is "closing FGG" (i.e. converting it to 4 or 5 mainstreams and Terrinoth is not one of them) . No serious project since Asmodee stepped in 😞

Andrew Navaro said they were working on a Terrinoth product. If nothing come out in the next couple of years then I would assume you would be correct in that case but I doubt that will be true and think it is wrong to assume that is the case just because he is leaving FFG. As far as I know we do not know why he is leaving FFG.

Regardless of future Terrinoth development or Asmodee plans: people leave jobs all the time. ALL the time. For lots of reasons. Long tenures anywhere are a relative rarity these days, and he's been with FFG quite a while.

I'm sad the Vault is closing though. Have made a semi-regular habit of making holiday-themed quests. Can still do that without it, of course, but it's not as easy.

Edited by Sarcsmorator

> If you want to save some of the scenarios you should do so asap.

Does saving pdfs work for you? Returns CloudFlare host error for me. :(

Below is a link to my DropBox which contains all of the assets from FFG's Quest Vault:

Quest Vault Assets

This includes: Allies, Board Pieces, Lieutenants, Miscellaneous, Monsters, and Tokens.

Edited by any2cards

The vault is already down! I cannot download any quest. Can someone help me find copies of the quests if you have already downloaded some.

All of The Chains that Rust boards are now within the DropBox as well.

All of The Chains that Rust Lieutenants and Monsters are now within the DropBox as well.

Edited by any2cards

You're a king, Any2cards !

Today, I added to my Quest Vault Assets DropBox, a new folder called PDFs.

This folder contains 3,747 PDFs of custom quests that were stored within the Quest Vault. They are currently labeled with the ID value.

Also within this folder is an excel spreadsheet called Quest Vault.xlsx which contains much of the information that relates to each of the custom quests, including a correlation between the ID and the TITLE of the quest.

Edited by any2cards

You are incredible @any2cards !!! Thank you for all your useful work for the Descent community (and thanks to all others that help you or do other useful things for the community 😉 ) 🙂

Edited by tibia

I am in the process of updating the spreadsheet with the Descent Requirements for each custom quest. Once that is done, I will also rename all of the PDFs from just the ID to also include the actual name of the quest.

Edited by any2cards

I have updated all of the PDFs within the Quest Vault Assets to show only the ID for the file name. In addition, I have updated the Quest Vault.xlsx spreadsheet to show the expansion requirements for each scenario.

I have decided NOT to attempt to rename the PDFs to the Title name of the scenarios because too many of them had nonsense names, illegal characters for file names, etc.

Therefore, you will need to access the spreadsheet to know what IDs match with which scenario name.

Hey, i just did that and renamed each PDF to a sluggified version of its title.
Also sorted them by language (although I can see some that had their language wrongly tagged...).

You can find them here:
https://actinia.xyz/index.php/s/LCZSbxTQBwmSKLw

I also noticed there are many quests whose ID appears on the spreadsheet but which have no PDF?

2 hours ago, ssorgatem said:

I also noticed there are many quests whose ID appears on the spreadsheet but which have no PDF?

To be honest, I have no idea what you mean with this statement.

There are exactly 2 (out of 3,749) PDFs missing.

They are for IDs: 18224 and 23418. All others exist. I am not sure what happened to these PDFs. I am looking into it.

6 hours ago, any2cards said:

To be honest, I have no idea what you mean with this statement.

There are exactly 2 (out of 3,749) PDFs missing.

They are for IDs: 18224 and 23418. All others exist. I am not sure what happened to these PDFs. I am looking into it.

Yeah, I checked again it turns out the Dropbox direct download left out many of them from the zip file for some reason.
Downloaded through the Dropbox client and all are present now (except for the 2 you meantioned).

BTW, the renaming script is also in that folder, if anyone's curious.

Now that the Quest Vault is back up and running (as of 1/15/2020 @ 6:12 AM PST), I was able to verify that the two quests 18224 and 23418 do not exist ... or at least, they timeout when you attempt to access them.

Edited by any2cards

Wow, nice work. Could you split off the spreadsheet though- there's a lot of PDF's so it hasn't got to it yet

On 1/15/2020 at 2:13 PM, any2cards said:

Now that the Quest Vault is back up and running (as of 1/15/2020 @ 6:12 AM PST), I was able to verify that the two quests 18224 and 23418 do not exist ... or at least, they timeout when you attempt to access them.

I think there was a thing that quests only got saved if you'd set up certain key things, there may be a few ghosts that were abandoned/deleted etc- also they may not be published (seem to remember having the option not to do so)- I may be wrong though.

To find your files- after virus scanning your downloaded (wonderfully-supplied-by-any2cards) spreadsheet, use data > sort and filter > filter, click the column you want to search, there will then be checkboxes so you can find what you're looking for by filtering out the other results.

You can then find and save any PDF's you need.

Whilst it's with all the pdf's you may have to wait a bit 'til they're all listed to get the spreadsheet, but it will be there eventually.

Here is a direct link to the Quest Vault spreadsheet, in case you want to download that first, and then limit what PDFs you download:

Quest Vault Spreadsheet

On 2/26/2020 at 2:51 PM, any2cards said:

Here is a direct link to the Quest Vault spreadsheet, in case you want to download that first, and then limit what PDFs you download:

Quest Vault Spreadsheet

Thanks. This must have taken a tonne of time already but another thought might be subfolders for the pdf's- having them all together means quite slow loading / finding them, so maybe split into a number of folders each x to y where these are the range of file numbers. Can you upload pre-zipped files to Dropbox?, that might be another option if it works.

Kudos for your patience already though, was no easy feat putting them all together! Much thankyouness. Had already backed mine up but grabbed them again just in case!