Final coat??

By drail14me, in Painting

After you paint and base, do you spray on any kind of final clear coat?

Edited to add: I’ve got grass and flock on the base.

Edited by drail14me

After trying a few brands, I swear by Humbrol no.49 Matt varnish spray these days, never had a problem with it. Just need the right conditions and temp to use it, (although that is true of most brands).

Its not required but will protect the paint from rubbing/chipping off. Ive found plastic models with moderate use dont really need it but after spending hours painting a model I dont wanna cheap out on a few extra mins to get it properly protected! On metal models its absolutely required though.

I do two coats of Vallejos matte varnish (spray can) on just about everything I paint and have had no issues.

There are techniques and tricks for using combinations of gloss, satin and matte varnishes for different purposes but for most applications a coat or two of any matte varnish will be enough!

I find one (or more) clear coats a must. paint just does not stick that well to the soft plastic used in the Legion minatures. If you don't put on a protective coating the paint will quickly start to come off.

14 hours ago, Attackmack said:

Its not required but will protect the paint from rubbing/chipping off. Ive found plastic models with moderate use dont really need it but after spending hours painting a model I dont wanna cheap out on a few extra mins to get it properly protected! On metal models its absolutely required though.

I do two coats of Vallejos matte varnish (spray can) on just about everything I paint and have had no issues.

There are techniques and tricks for using combinations of gloss, satin and matte varnishes for different purposes but for most applications a coat or two of any matte varnish will be enough!

Vallejo matte varnish in a spray can?? Where do you find that?

4 hours ago, drail14me said:

Vallejo matte varnish in a spray can?? Where do you find that?

My local gaming store carries much of vallejo's products, I just buy it there.

You should be able to find it at any hobby store with vallejo products, either IRL or online.

When you say in a can, are you talking about a spray can? Rattle can? I didn’t see them available on the Vallejo site.

I like Testors 1260. Doesn't frost in temperature fluctuations.

Testor's Dullcote is what I swear by

I hand paint on a gloss coat then a matt coat. I find the two coats in combination work the best for preserving all the highlights, and it's much more reliable than a spray can.

On 1/18/2020 at 6:27 PM, KommanderKeldoth said:

Testor's Dullcote is what I swear by

Me too.

On 1/3/2020 at 11:33 AM, flightmaster101 said:

I like Testors 1260. Doesn't frost in temperature fluctuations.

So much this.

I used Army Painter clearcoat one time and it frosted really badly, ruining my Boba Fett paint job that I spent a week on.

Never again!

Only used Testor's since and have never ever had a problem

On 1/19/2020 at 9:25 PM, KommanderKeldoth said:

So much this.

I used Army Painter clearcoat one time and it frosted really badly, ruining my Boba Fett paint job that I spent a week on.

Never again!

Only used Testor's since and have never ever had a problem

Ive had issues where dullcote doesnt go matt in places. Doesn't matter how long i shake the can first.

Its not just a bad can either, ive had this issue for a while with the product.

Its also hard to get (only one store 40mins out sells it in my area) and the cans are small and expensive $8 Cad.

On 1/19/2020 at 7:29 PM, srMontresor said:

I hand paint on a gloss coat then a matt coat. I find the two coats in combination work the best for preserving all the highlights, and it's much more reliable than a spray can.

Does anyone have a problem with brush on varnish making the surface of miniature little sticky? I’ve used Vallejo brush on matt varnish and Army Painter both with similar effect, sometimes happening and sometimes not, It’s weird.

Usually i use Citadel’s spray varnish (Munitorium something..) and it’s perfect, but can’t spray when it’s cold outside.

On 1/26/2020 at 6:28 AM, xmarkusx said:

Does anyone have a problem with brush on varnish making the surface of miniature little sticky? I’ve used Vallejo brush on matt varnish and Army Painter both with similar effect, sometimes happening and sometimes not, It’s weird.

Usually i use Citadel’s spray varnish (Munitorium something..) and it’s perfect, but can’t spray when it’s cold outside.

That's never happened to me. I use Vallejo.

I have always used a brush on solution. It have never failed me :)

On 3/4/2020 at 3:05 PM, srMontresor said:

That's never happened to me. I use Vallejo.

Do you thin the varnish or shake it like crazy etc. I’ve experiemented on trying both (and undiluted) but still seem to have same tacky effect. Have tried long drying times etc. Weird.

On 1/21/2020 at 8:15 AM, Alcovitch said:

Ive had issues where dullcote doesnt go matt in places. Doesn't matter how long i shake the can first.

Its not just a bad can either, ive had this issue for a while with the product.

Its also hard to get (only one store 40mins out sells it in my area) and the cans are small and expensive $8 Cad.

You can always touch up with Vallejo Matt. Havent had this happen personally. Also I get 4 packs on Amazon for 20 USD for 4. Price is worth it as opposed to messing with Vallejo in the airbursh or buying GW stuff that frosts.

7 hours ago, xmarkusx said:

Do you thin the varnish or shake it like crazy etc. I’ve experiemented on trying both (and undiluted) but still seem to have same tacky effect. Have tried long drying times etc. Weird.

I only thin the gloss varnish when I want a subdued sheen, as on stormtrooper armour. The matt vanish I apply as is. As with anything you paint on a mini, you should always shake it for at least twenty seconds before using it.

5 hours ago, srMontresor said:

I only thin the gloss varnish when I want a subdued sheen, as on stormtrooper armour. The matt vanish I apply as is. As with anything you paint on a mini, you should always shake it for at least twenty seconds before using it.

Yeah of course it should be shaken, but i've tried even shaking for 5 minutes, without any difference. These problems apply on to the brush on varnishes that i've used, Army Painter and later Vallejo Matt -that i have now.

13 hours ago, flightmaster101 said:

You can always touch up with Vallejo Matt. Havent had this happen personally. Also I get 4 packs on Amazon for 20 USD for 4. Price is worth it as opposed to messing with Vallejo in the airbursh or buying GW stuff that frosts.

Spray cans usually work well when varnishing, i've found that GW Varnish is best available here (Finland) as it doesn't frost, it's kinda satin finish in a way. With Army Painter spray cans they do often leave frosted finish with their matt spray. It sucks a lot since both brands are really expensive here, GW Sprays are like 15,50€, AP slightly cheaper but those cans suck big time. Haven't found any good alternatives to spray paint / varnish, so i tend to go GW spray cans. Guess next step would be to move into airbrushing or something.

19 hours ago, xmarkusx said:

Spray cans usually work well when varnishing, i've found that GW Varnish is best available here (Finland) as it doesn't frost, it's kinda satin finish in a way. With Army Painter spray cans they do often leave frosted finish with their matt spray. It sucks a lot since both brands are really expensive here, GW Sprays are like 15,50€, AP slightly cheaper but those cans suck big time. Haven't found any good alternatives to spray paint / varnish, so i tend to go GW spray cans. Guess next step would be to move into airbrushing or something.

Bummer you cant try Testors. The only reason I started using Testors is because Sorrastro uses it in his videos, and my GW stuff was frosting. I will say however that GW buys batches from whatever company will sell to them cheapest and then put that varnish in their cans. So it is possible that their supplier in Europe is better than what they are buying in North America.

I have thinned down Vallejo Matt Varnish and run it through my airbrush (0.5mm). It works really well and I was very satisfied with the control and finish. The only issue is getting the chemistry right so its not so thick it plugs, and not so thin that you dont get good coverage. That part takes so much effort that the cost of a rattle can is worth it to me.

But... The first rule of painting is “To each their own.” If it works for you, that is good enough.

Edited by flightmaster101

I haven't used a can for decades because of terrible experience with frosting. I have thought about trying them again as it sounds like they've gotten much better over the years but I can't get them here (working in the developing world) due to shipping restrictions, and painting on varnish works just fine for me. I do have an airbrush which I'd love to use, but I'd have to pay at least 100USD in shipping to get a compressor sent here.