Rest

By Grand Moff Gez, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

Hello Hive Mind,

I've just recently purchased the game and just need to check what I'm thinking is right.

I've got Aragon as a Captain (as the intro) and he has no rest cards at all in his deck. Am I right that there is no other way of resting unless you have a rest card?

I hope I'm wrong as I've got a card that's permanently face up and giving me Fear at the end of every turn and cant stop it.

Thanks

Gez

Sadly, the only way to rest is to have a rest card.

Gift of Men (Aragorn 5) can discard a fear. Cloak or the Travel Garb can help mitigate fear/damage. Otherwise, you'll need to get the card, Strider (Aragorn 2 and 3) prepared to Guard and prevent fear/damage though at the expense successes in your deck.

You are pretty much out of luck trying to rest.

I wouldn't worry about rest too much. You can be downed twice before actually dying. Most of the time, one person in the party might be downed but the game is usually over by then.

If you really want a rest card, you can always change your character class between missions. Just any experience you gain in that class stays there, but you aren't stuck with a card you don't want. You can always give the card back and spend the experience on something else.

Edited by Thaeggan

Thanks, I had a feeling that was the case. I've survived to last stands so far lol

1 minute ago, Grand Moff Gez said:

Thanks, I had a feeling that was the case. I've survived to last stands so far lol

Well in my experience, the best way to not get downed is to kill an enemy in a single turn. You might have to use two actions to do it, but as long as you aren't falling behind in killing enemies vs how many are showing on the board, things should be okay. My group usually avoids combat and lets the enemy come to us so we don't spend a move action just to enter a space in order to combat them.

If you have a musician (role) there are cards from there that can remove face-up fear, or flip them face down.

There's also the extra rations trinket. It's pretty common and removes damage or fear (even face-up!)

If Aragorn or someone near him has the banner, then resting gives inspiration too, so it might be in your best interest to pick up a rest card for next time.