(Ghostbusters) WoD conversion.

By AlanTheBothersome, in Your Settings

I'm in the process of converting World of Darkness: Second Sight for use in a Ghostbusters setting (Primarily for the Psychic/Sorcerer Archetypes). Currently, I have finished copying the whopping 98 pages of player material and have begun converting and formatting, but have fun into a roadblock as nothing is working as straight across as I had hoped. In many areas the Merits function more as skills than Talents, and many of them encroach on the Magic system.

I don't believe I should break with the WoD method of using skills denoted by the Merits (Willpower+Discipline in place of Resolve+Composure for Trance States, or Presence+Discipline for Astral Projection) but none of it feels quite right. I've considered instead making many of the more active Merits into Skills, but again run into problems as they work better as Ranked Talents (Tele/Pyro/Cryo/Biokinesis stick out here).

Additionally, as in the case of Pyrokinesis, the more dots you have the more effect you get per success (5 degrees per dot), which works well, but I don't really know what the **** to do with advantages for this. I've added a Strain cost to most things reflecting the lore regarding such actions as extremely tiring, but then it just feels like I'm remaking the Magic system again.

My plan is this: Wherever possible I will stick to the Talent/Ranked Talent (Such as Death Sight/Spirit Calling) format, if I need to I will make something a custom skill with associated Strain Cost (Such as Telekinesis or Pyrokinesis). I will simply use the "Per Success" rules straight across, and allow Advantage to be spent on additional effects as normal, listing a few good possibilities. If I make use of such a skill in Magic Format, I shall restrict it (as much as possible) to the effects described in Second Sight, as I am trying to match and preserve that book's mood and intensity as I feel it matches the power level I am going for with this project.

I would appreciate any advice you could give as I am intending to do several more books (Book of Spirits, Inferno, Geist: The Sin Eaters, Book of the Dead, and Changeling: The Lost) over the course of the next year for this project. I shall post regular updates as I progress.

Edited by AlanTheBothersome
Whopping, not Shopping.

hmm ... WoD:SS is quite arkward to fit into genesys as you already have seen.

you might want to take a look at:

• "Project Twilight (WW3064)" pg. 18++
  • "Sorcerer (WW4010)" and/or "Sorcerer Revised (WW4254)"
  • "The Quick and the Dead (WW6008)"

especially the last book may fit into your theme since it is from W:tO.

I don't own any of those except for Sorcerer, I do own Wraith, first and second editions though, I wasn't planning on deciding to use either until I'd finished my current slate, mostly on account of how poorly the lore meshes with established Ghostbusters Canon. Additionally, I had intended ghosts to be Adversaries instead of a playable Archetype as that does not really mesh well with the setting of Ghostbusters. Th e whole reason for including Second Sight is for use as both a player and NPC resource for psychic talents and ghost abilities.

This morning one of my players asked if I was going to make either of the Werewolf games Canon, as it would provide an easy explanation as to why the Earth hadn't been invaded before, yet there was so much knowledge about the supernatural floating around. I thought it was a cool idea, but I feel that at that point it's more WoD than Ghostbusters. My solution was to include Psychics and Hedge Mages, as this allowed me to say that it had always been humans fighting back, either through their own abilities, or learning the rules governing the entry of the invading spirits to our world.

That's really the challenge with any of them: preserving the feeling of Ghostbusters, I feel I have a greater opportunity to do that with Second Sight than Sorcerer, as the Psychic stuff works far better than the Magic stuff in Sorcerer for my intended version of the Setting, (though I am pulling some of the Magic in Second Sight over too to make learning about the ghosts a more viable method of fighting them non-violently).

To remedy certain problems I have created a crude, but functional stop-gap for playtesting: Skills that have associated Talent ranks which determine their potency.

Example (please note that this is not how it appears in the current document):

Telekinesis: Skill.

Attribute: Willpower.

Cost: 2 Strain to push, 1 additional to maintain each round beyond the lower of Brawn or Willpower.

Telekinesis represents the ability of a character to manipulate objects with their mind, often this is course movement, such as throwing or catching things. In most cases this is limited to the things that a Telekinetic would normally be able to do without using the ability, however, they can push this for greater results. The potency of a Telekinetic's abilities are determined by their ranks in the Telekinesis Talent, their capacity for manipulation (how refined their use is) is determined by their ranks in the Telekinesis Skill.

Rank one may be able to unsteadily grab a bottle off of a table, while rank 5 May be capable of threading a needle accurately and in one try.

This skill is used whenever a character attempts to perform fine manipulation, or when pushing for greater effect on their skill. It is not used to attack, Ranged Light or Heavy (Depending upon the silhouette of the object thrown) is used for that.

When pushing a character gains an addition to their capacity per success, and greater control per advantage, the base capacity is not reduced by failures, though threats may cause the burden to become unwieldy. Triumphs may be used to Double Capacity (this can only be done once, additional Triumphs cannot again double the total), while a Despair may represent a terrible psychic feedback inflicting 1 Wound and 2 Strain on the Psychic, additionally they cannot use Telekinesis for the remainder of that day.

The character can hold an item aloft for a number of rounds (or minutes) equal to the lower of their Brawn or Willpower, after this an additional Strain must be spent every round to maintain the effect.

A telekinetic may suffer 2 Strain to gain a Boost to manipulation rolls, if they so desire.

Talent:

Telekinesis: Tier 1, Ranked.

Active: Action.

Cost: 2 Strain

Each rank in Telekinesis allows the character to easily manipulate a set weight and push their abilities to achieve greater effect. To use the ability within the standard limitations of the tier does not require a Strain expenditure to use in narrative time, though pushing for greater effect or use in Combat does.

At rank one a character may lift up to five pounds without pushing, gaining an additional pound capacity per success. Silhouette 0 size limitation.

Rank two represents 10 pounds, and an additional 2 per success. Silhouette 1 size limitation.

Rank three represents 20 pounds, and an additional 5 per success. Silhouette 1 size limitation.

Rank four represents 40 pounds, and an additional 10 per success. Silhouette 2 size limitation.

Rank 5 represents 100 pounds and an additional 20 per success. Silhouette 3 size limitation.

As always please let me know what you think of this admittedly inelegant solution, and thanks in advance!

Edited by AlanTheBothersome
Wonky Grammar

Sorry for the delay in updates:

Still working on Thaumaturge conversion, it's a bit more involved than simply converting 1:1, as I've been having to pull the double legwork of revising fluff to fit the Setting.

I have begun looking at converting Book of Spirits and present the basic Ghost template:

Attributes:

P.K.E. (the Ghost's capacity to effect its environment and resist being effected, basically Brawn for Spirits),

Intellect,

Willpower,

and Presence.

Pool:

Ectoplasm: Acts as Health, (P.K.E.+amount set by Type and Class).

Strain: As GCRB, (Willpower + Amount set by Type & Class).

Some of the General Skills are as follows:

Force (P.K.E.): Ability to manipulate physical objects through force.

Finesse (P.K.E.): Ability to manipulate physical objects in fine detail.

Animate (Willpower): Ability to animate objects to act on their own.

Discipline (Willpower): as in GCRB.

Create Illusion (Presence): As Mask Spell, EPG.

Empathy (Presence): Ability to directly manipulate emotions.

Spook (Presence): Ability to instill fear.

Lore: Thanatology.

Lore: Spirits.

Lore: Afterlife.

Lore: Spirit Realms.

Numen act as Talents and special abilities to differentiate Ghost and Spirit types. (Animators, Slimers, Spooks, Posessors, Conduits, Vapors, Remnants, and others).

Since Ghostbusters is primarily about starting a business:

Individual Wealth Rating System:

Assume that a player starts at Tier 1 unless otherwise specified by Career, Archetype, or Setting. If a character decides to start at Tier 0 they gain a +10 XP bonus.

Assume Major assets are worth $5000 or more, and Minor assets are worth $250-4,750.

Assets are things easily liquidated, and as such do not include either cars or houses, though it is assumed that Tiers 3-5 will own both.

I recommend that characters move up either narratively or through XP expenditure as if a talent at GM Discretion.

Tier 0: Poor. (Price range: $0-25)
Ranked: No.

Effect: Character does not have access to reliable lodgings or meals, and cannot purchase goods more than $5 per day without worrying about it. The character likely has no savings and no major or minor assets.

Tier 1: Lean Budget. (Price range: $25-100)

Effect: Character has access to basic and Spartan lodgings, can afford basic, low quality meals (up to 3 per day), and can purchase goods up to $25 per day without worrying about it. The character likely has less than $200 savings and no major or minor assets.

Tier 2: Meager Budget. (Price Range: 100-500)

Effect: Character has access to basic lodgings, can afford basic, mid quality meals (up to 3 per day), and can purchase goods up to $50 per day without worrying about it. The character likely has less than $500 savings and one Minor Asset no greater than $1,500.

Tier 3: Moderate Budget. (Price Range: $500-1,000)

Effect: Character has access to decent lodgings, can afford quality meals (up to 3 per day), and can purchase goods up to $100 per day without worrying about it. The character likely has less than $1,000 savings and one Major Asset no greater than $7,500, and one Minor Asset no greater than $4,750.

Tier 4: Middle Class Budget. (Price Range $1,000-5,000)

Effect: Character has access to good lodgings, can afford high quality meals (up to 5 per day), and can purchase goods up to $200 per day without worrying about it. The character likely has more than $2,000 savings and one Major Asset no greater than $10,000, and two Minor Assets totalling $3-5,000.

Tier 5: Wealthy. (Price Range: $5,000-10,000)

Effect: Character has access to extravagant lodgings, can afford high quality meals (up to 5 per day), and can purchase goods up to $500 per day without worrying about it. The character likely has more than $10,000 savings and two Major assets greater than $25,000, and 5 Minor Assets totalling $10-15,000.

That being said, I wouldn't make it a Skill itself, I would allow it to be used in conjunction with a Skill as an Attribute. For example: purchasing a car you could use Wealth+ Charm to try and buddy up to the salesperson, or Coercion if you're leveraging mob connections.

Since you can be a totally uncharismatic boob with lots of money or super charismatic with little money this should balance it pretty well.

Such rolls only come up when a character tries to get something at, or above their Tier without sacrificing savings or an asset.

Franchise Wealth:

When applying to a Business multiply all numbers in all Tiers by 10.

Tier 1: Startup.

Effect: Franchise has the most basic (shared with another business) facilities, gear, and insurance. A franchise at Tier One may requisition equipment from W.E.G. Corp at Formidable Difficulty once per quarter. This is limited to general supplies and components to create new Fringe-Tech.

Franchise has:

1 Proton Pack per person.

2 Slime-Blowers.

2 pairs Ecto-Goggles

3 P.K.E. Meters.

2 Ghost Traps

1 "Slammer" Ghost Containment Unit.

1 Vehicle, capable of accommodating all Ghostbusters, of very low quality.

Tier 2: Known Franchise.

Effect: Franchise now has access to its own facilities, though such facilities are often Fixer-Uppers and bought . Gear most likely has not yet improved, but with a dedicated work station and testing area that should change shortly.

Facility Features:

Living Quarters (Barracks).

Shower/Bath.

Garage.

Reception area.

Lot with 2 additional expansion zones, and parking for 6 cars.

Tier 3: Established Franchise.

Effect: Franchise may gain 3 new pieces of Fringe-Tech, and use one of their expansion zones.

Tier 4: Regional Headquarters.

Effect: Franchise may use the other Expansion Zone. Additionally the franchise gains Interns (May the gods help them) and a dedicated lawyer.

Tier 5: Regional Corporate Headquarters.

Effect: The franchise gains 2 Company Men, a team of lawyers, Scientists (May the gods help you), and moves to a new facility featuring all previous upgrades, plus:

2 new Expansion Zones.

1 Auto Shop + Mechanic

1 Testing Field.

1 Dedicated Fail-Safe Reactor

1 Deluxe Spirit Research Facility

And

2 New Vehicles (Ground, Flying, or Aquatic).

Heat Mechanics:

Rating 1-10.

Variant: E.P.A.

Effect:

At 10 Stars a franchise is considered to be in full compliance with good standing.

At 9 Stars they are in full compliance with okay standing.

At 8 they are considered in full compliance on probationary standing.

At 7 they are in compliance with all regulations, but have some minor issue that must be fixed (Such as an inappropriately stored Slime-Thrower). Level 7 is a warning, not a notice.

6 Stars represents a Notice of Minor Infraction: Franchise is not fined but is placed on probation pending correction of the issue (Such as having more Proton Packs on site than proper Storage Lockers, or having an unapproved Slime Generator which has not yet been used).

5 Stars represents a Minor Infraction: Franchise is fined $2,000 and placed on probation for 6 months after end of Infraction. (Such as an active unapproved Slime Generator, or an incident in the field).

4 Stars represents Multiple Minor Infractions: Franchise is fined $2,000 for the first one, and an additional $1,000 for each additional infraction. They are then placed on probation for 6 months to 1 year.

3 Stars represents a Major Infraction: All operations are suspended, the Franchise is fined $5-10,000 and criminal charges may be applied. Once the infraction is remedied the franchise will have to appeal the decision to regain their license to resume operations, on 1 year probation. (Such as a Reactor Leak).

2 Stars represents Multiple Major Infractions: All operations are Suspended, franchise is fined $10,000 for the first offense and an additional $5,000 per additional offense. Criminal charges will be applied, W.E.G. Corp will seek to revoke their license, as will the city, if they recover the Ghostbusters will be put on 5 years Corporate Probation, and 2 Years Government Probation.

1 Star represents immediate and indefinite shutdown of operations, Immediate revocation of all licenses, and criminal charges, in addition to fines as described above.

Variant: Mayoral Heat. (Also works with other officials).

Rating: 1-5.

Effect:

5 Stars means the mayor loves you, and will go to bat to sway things in your favor.

4 Stars means that the mayor likes you and can be persuaded to do so.

3 Stars means that the mayor is indifferent towards you.

2 Stars means that the mayor dislikes you but will not go out of his way to inconvenience you.

1 Star means that the mayor actively hates you and will go out of his way to make your life miserable.

Variant: W.E.G. Corp Standing.

Rating 1-5.

Effect:

5 Stars means that your franchise gets first pick of equipment during requisitions (reduce difficulty of Requisition roll by 1), and may be given the opportunity to field test new equipment.

4 Stars means that you are 5th in line for new acquisitions during Requisitions (Add a Boost or two) and get an insurance reduction.

3 Stars means nothing, play as normal.

2 Stars means that your franchise is on probation, has an insurance increase, and may be refused Requisitions.

1 Star means that W.E.G. Corp is coming for your license.

Street Mage Basic Idea:

Magic Skills:

Arcana (Sorcerer)

Primal (Witch/Druid)

Divine (Saint)

Infernal (Warlock) (This is functionally the same as Divine, just flavoured differently).

And others to be converted from Second Sight as Careers (Such as the Voodoo Priest and Shaman).

Magic abilities (Spells) are bought as Tiered Talents, Ranked, with each rank unlocking a new effect for the spell. Some special effects will be singular and have no additional ranks as they are not covered by the existing spell structure.

In the case of Alchemy these Talents represent different types of potion that can be produced, with ranks in the skill increasing proficiency in making them.

Alternate dimension travel tech examples:

Fringe-Tech rating: Tier 4-5.

Devices:

ShandorGate: Tier 4.

Needed Components:

Shandorian Hypercoil, Psychomagnetheric Slime Conduit, Trapped Conduit type Spirit at power level 5 or greater, 200kg Selenium Core Iron/Cobalt Alloy, and a Focusing Gem Array.

Effect:

Opens a 2 Way gate to the Ghostworlds for 1 Hour. Can be set on timer to reactivate after next full charge.

RamisGate: Tier 5.

Needed Components:

1 Slime Infused Shandocite Alloy cable, 1 Trapped Conduit type Spirit power level 7 or greater, 1 Ramis DSX900 CPU, and 1 Stantz Spectral Interface.

Effect:

Creates a 10 minute portal to chosen destination, is portable.

The basic idea is to give the players a way to travel to these dimensions without the need of Psychics, Mages, or Geists.