Now that the sequel trilogy is done... (spoilers)

By subtrendy2, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

Not looking for your boring take on why you did or didn't like a movie in this trilogy, but do you think FFG might make a game similar to this for the sequel era now that they're done?

I suppose the concept would be similar enough to the Original trilogy moreso than the prequels, and regardless of how you feel about these movies ( again, I could not care less ) at the very least having more options for plastic would be nice.

Some spoilers for how this could and couldn't work, based on what we've seen in this trilogy:

Pros

- The First Order are almost cartoonishly evil compared to even the Empire, so they'd make fun villains for a campaign like this

- Fleshing out this era with more battles, conflicts, and missions is almost necessary, and IA could be a trailblazer in that regard

- Some really cool character designs to work from, including Kylo Ren, Old Luke, and BB-8

- Opportunity to create new types of missions, and perhaps a good moment to integrate with X-Wing 2nd ed?

- Way to bring this game a second edition without seeming redundant- sure you'd get more stormies, but at least they'd technically be different

- Could potentially come with a conversion kit for some of the existing IA content, including figures (like mercs and Palpatine), map pieces, and Hero items.

- Could be a wild addition to skirmish, allowing figures from all eras to compete

Cons

- painting more stormtroopers

- Rey. Unfortunately, The Rise of Skywalker makes it pretty clear that she's done nothing but training between TLJ and Episode IX, so she can't really be worked into a canonically friendly appearance in mission

- Lack of named characters. Unlike the Original trilogy that could dig as deep as the comics and Rebels cartoon, the Sequel era struggles to have even film characters enough to flush out a decent roster yet (See how the next Battlefront update has BB-9E, the First Order counterpart to BB-8, joining the game).

- Could potentially draw away from progression any further OT IA stuff, which I assume almost all of us want (and most would probably prefer).

Any other thoughts?

Edited by subtrendy2

I don’t think it works in my head. In the Rebellion you get the idea there are cells and sympathisers everywhere, so there is plenty of space for little sneaky insurgent teams to tell stories about. In the sequels you get the idea that the Resistance is really all there is. Also the good guys are the establishment.

I think I’d rather see a campaign based on an imperial remnant fighting the new republic. This could also draw material from another star wars show...

5 hours ago, Estarriol said:

In the sequels you get the idea that the Resistance is really all there is. Also the good guys are the establishment.

Well, they really aren't the establishment once their entire government is blown up. And we know that at least Snap Wexley was off doing something else during the events of the The Last Jedi. I'm just saying I don't see a problem with this time period.

On a separate point, it would have to be played in a game more like IA (as opposed to Legion) just because the Resistance is so small.

No thanks

I would be up for this. I've long wanted First Order and Resistance for Legion, but I'd be ecstatic for a Imperial Assault style game.

If you extrapolate on what we see in the ancillary fiction, such as comics, Books, and the Resistance show (and disney park) there is lots of reasons this would be brilliant.

While the films focus in the core heroes of the resistance we have seen Snap lead a team, we have Vi Moradi and so a group of newly created heroes would fit right in.

I would buy this in a minute.

How do first order Stormtroopers differ from OT Stormtrooper, other than a slight change in uniform? I see no difference. I see the who ST as a lame attempt to cash in on nostalgia and mangle the concepts of the original trilogy with badly written ersatz duplicates, so I'd have zero interest in anything from these movies. Not one character brings anything aside from different looking plastic. Sure you could make Kylo a bad-**** in game terms by plying him with attack dice, tokens, pierce, and extra damage, but none of that was represented in the films. He was a bland attempt at reselling Darth Vader. I think X-Wing 2.0 could release something that represent Palpatine destroying ships with his lightning, silly (I'd prefer much stronger adjectives but I'm trying to say family friendly) as it was.

On 12/31/2019 at 3:51 AM, Estarriol said:

I don’t think it works in my head. In the Rebellion you get the idea there are cells and sympathisers everywhere, so there is plenty of space for little sneaky insurgent teams to tell stories about. In the sequels you get the idea that the Resistance is really all there is. Also the good guys are the establishment.

I think I’d rather see a campaign based on an imperial remnant fighting the new republic. This could also draw material from another star wars show...

It wasn't just cells, it was whole regions of space with sympathetic worlds. It was the raison d'etre fro the Imperials to build a super weapon. It was the equivalent of a nuke in 1945, to force these rebellious worlds to capitulate to Imperial control, without the high cost of fighting with them using "conventional" warfare. I give Lucas some slack given the time the films were made that he couldn't fully depict the galactic civil war, but he still did more world building than the ST ever did. Still, you are correct, I didn't mean to imply otherwise. The Galactic civil war was expansive, and had room to tell as many stories as there are WWII films.

On 12/31/2019 at 2:51 AM, Estarriol said:

True, but Imperial Assault has always been about a small squad working together.

Personally, I feel that would be small enough to justify.

2 hours ago, subtrendy2 said:

True, but Imperial Assault has always been about a small squad working together.

Personally, I feel that would be small enough to justify.

I guess you get Black Squadron doing stuff in the comics...

1 hour ago, Estarriol said:

I guess you get Black Squadron doing stuff in the comics...

That, among I'm sure others.

Even if Rey wasn't doing a ton between TLJ and TROS, I'm sure that the Resistance had active agents. I mean, we see Finn and Poe working with some in the opening.

I think there would be enough for some good IA additions. There plenty of peripheral characters who at least look interesting. That's pretty much all we knew about Bossk and IG-88 in the OT. I'd buy a Captain Ithano, purely because he looks cool. Or a Grummgar purely because he is huge. Sure, got a new Zorri Bliss? I'll get that too! Not too picky. What do we really know about 4-LOM or Zuckuss anyway? They look cool, and that's enough.

I dare to utter my boring reason why I like or do not like a trilogy: While the Sequel Trilogy actually did have a few good ideas, it lacked a strong core to hold them together and develop them properly, in my opinion. Visually it was stunning, but that's not enough. The Original Trilogy had a classic hero's journey at its core, coupled with the growing daring of the Rebellion and strong archetypical supporting protagonists and antagonists. It introduced a whole range of old ideas in a new, innovative form in the first movie, developed ALL major characters in the second movie, and had a bittersweet resolution of the central conflict in the third movie. It is a ride. The Prequel Trilogy also had a very strong core - the fall of a hero coupled with the fall of the Republic, but it failed to properly develop the ideas it attached to this strong core.

That being said, I do not hate neither the PT nor the ST - they both failed to ignite my enthusiasm, but I can see some good things in them and springing from them (which in the case of the PT actually has happened). I guess since the PT Star Wars is more interesting, daring and innovative on TV than in the cinema.

Since - in my view - the ST lacks a strong core, or central idea, I don't see in which way it would enrich IA aside from cool-looking new figures.

I hope this wasn't too boring. :D

Edited by Fourtytwo

Dang! Fourtytwo put into words something I’ve been feeling since watching all of the ST.

10 hours ago, Fourtytwo said:

I hope this wasn't too boring. :D

Not too boring at all, although I disagree. But that is fine. I thought the ST had good characters and very strong growth and arc for Rey and Kylo... admittedly not as much for the others. But, to each his own. Not that this thread is really about why we liked or didn't like it, but in brief, what made me love the last movie (with reservations) was looking over and seeing both my kids REALLY loving it and raving about it afterwards and even crying (my oldest daughter) in the final scenes... to me, that makes the movie a success, when kids really love and enjoy it, 'cause after all it's sort of for them too right? But mostly for us oldies! hahaha. I could go into specifics but that's my main reason for like it. Gonna go see it again this week, this time in 2D (where I live they ONLY showed it in 3D, and they turned on the lights before it was even over so I missed the last 5 minutes!!)

OH wow, thank god people finally have a space online for talking about the Sequel trilogy.

Sarcasm aside, this is why I wanted to avoid it, since now we're just talking about the movie and not the game, which is already a tired discussion.

So thanks for helping break new ground, @Fourtytwo 😆

Edited by subtrendy2
54 minutes ago, subtrendy2 said:

which is already a tired discussion.

I wholeheartedly agree with that. It's tired and full of hyperbole. As usual, given the communication-culture of the internet. :D

Maybe a ST box could include a bunch of new weird tiles. So much more that could be done with tiles... creative, weird shapes, lava, quicksand, red and white Crait area (which would just look interesting and probably not add much, but it could have cave systems...). It would be great to have tile combinations that we've never seen (combining multiple locations) but probably hard to sell, because obviously not everyone has everything (including me).

A Babu Frik deployment figure could "reprogram" droids somehow, like being able to change certain stats on droid cards... He could outfit R2D2 more like BT-1!