Immobilized condition

By Goken91, in Rules Questions

Am I understanding correctly that the immobilized condition only lasts one turn no matter what? The book says that if a character did not perform a movement action they may remove the immobilized condition.

I just feel like that makes things like Grasp of Earth or snaring weapons less powerful. I normally play D&D where typically a roll of some kind would be required to free yourself from stuff like that.

Has anyone house ruled a check to free yourself from immobilized?

No. Most conditions of the disoriented, dazed, prone, immobilized variety go away if you don't do the action of appropriate type.

Most of the time, applying the effect either requires you to fail a check, or is triggered by an opportunity spend based off one of your stats (usually vigilance), so you get your chance to stop it then.

In this context, a related rules error: The Flowing Water Strike kata has the option to remove Immobilized with an opportunity. But since it is an attack & movement action, it impossible to use it while Immobilized.

Edited by Harzerkatze
4 hours ago, Harzerkatze said:

In this context, a related rules error: The Flowing Water Strike kata has the option to remove Immobilized with an opportunity. But since it is an attack & movement action, it impossible to use it while Immobilized.

Just say it is possible to use the action if you get enough opportunities on your kept dice.

1 hour ago, Avatar111 said:

Just say it is possible to use the action if you get enough opportunities on your kept dice.

That would be houseruling it.

The only legal version I can think of is starting combat immobilized, using Void stance for initiative, using 2 Opps for the Ignore Condition effect and then switching to Water for the attack.

3 hours ago, Harzerkatze said:

That would be houseruling it.

The only legal version I can think of is starting combat immobilized, using Void stance for initiative, using 2 Opps for the Ignore Condition effect and then switching to Water for the attack.

Not houseruling it. Fixing it using a logical approach loosely based on the rule on p.253

But then again, you know my general opinion on the quality of the mechanical rule writing of this edition (especially the "Scenes and Conflicts" chapter, and obviously the whole condition/critical hit section in it...).

So, no matter if you want to play it "legal" or "as probably intended" or "how you feel like". It is all ok. Doesn't matter in this game, really.

Unfortunately for you, we mostly only got memes and jokes in the official errata. So I don't advise you wait for them to fix the game for you.

Edited by Avatar111
16 hours ago, Avatar111 said:

Unfortunately for you, we mostly only got memes and jokes in the official errata.

If it's a consolation to you, Dungeons & Dragons just released an official Rick & Morty D&D book. So other RPGs have it worse.