Force sensitive blaster

By hbmoeller, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

....are any of the previously mentioned blasters more viable than the other non force related options? I'm reading this (trying my best to sift through the boring arguements) but ultimately I wondered if these weapons are actually 'worth' it versus other options.

Is there sufficent reason mechanically and narratively to seek one of these items over other guns?

39 minutes ago, Luahk said:

Is there sufficent reason mechanically and narratively to seek one of these items over other guns?

Mechanically, there is probably a better option for whatever purpose you're looking for.

Narratively is an entirely different question, and the main one I ask when selecting weapons (hence picking the Z-6 for one of my characters [not a clone], even though it is weaker than an LRB by most metrics. 😢 ). I think that there are pretty good narrative reasons to pick these weapon given their "force-sensitivity" or at least their implied force-sensitivity. However, the "are there narrative reasons?" question is quite hard to answer since each character is different.

2 hours ago, Luahk said:

....are any of the previously mentioned blasters more viable than the other non force related options? I'm reading this (trying my best to sift through the boring arguements) but ultimately I wondered if these weapons are actually 'worth' it versus other options.

Adding a force sensitive actuator attachment can be better than adding a gene lock because it's got a bod that gives a a boost die against targets that aren't immune to the force.

6 hours ago, EliasWindrider said:

Adding a force sensitive actuator attachment can be better than adding a gene lock because it's got a bod that gives a a boost die against targets that aren't immune to the force.

This is just an attachment right?

8 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Mechanically, there is probably a better option for whatever purpose you're looking for.

Narratively is an entirely different question, and the main one I ask when selecting weapons (hence picking the Z-6 for one of my characters [not a clone], even though it is weaker than an LRB by most metrics. 😢 ). I think that there are pretty good narrative reasons to pick these weapon given their "force-sensitivity" or at least their implied force-sensitivity. However, the "are there narrative reasons?" question is quite hard to answer since each character is different.

Yeah I should've been slightly more specific I guess. Like if you're playing a FS char somewhere that knows Jedi/lightsabers exist then there's a good reason to think of getting one. I'm trying to think of how I would tie in these force attuned weapons to a campaign. I imagine these would be even harder to figure out than the glowy space wizard swords since those were famous.

2 hours ago, Luahk said:

This is just an attachment right?

yes, it's in KtP. but there's also a pistol that has it inbuilt (site 145 replica pistol, same book)

2 hours ago, Luahk said:

Yeah I should've been slightly more specific I guess. Like if you're playing a FS char somewhere that knows Jedi/lightsabers exist then there's a good reason to think of getting one. I'm trying to think of how I would tie in these force attuned weapons to a campaign. I imagine these would be even harder to figure out than the glowy space wizard swords since those were famous.

not really, except the lucky blaster whose rarity is the same as a lightsaber (because it can't really be crafted consciously, it just spontaneously appears once in a production run), all of these weapons are less rare and most are unrestricted, being mostly cultural weapons. As for a reason for picking one, the empire is a lot less likely to be suspicious about an unusual looking blaster than a lightsaber, narratively. but better not let the inquisitors take a close look to them

Edited by MB -Fr-

Thanks guys.

This thread makes me want to create a blaster Jedi. Does the heartwood blaster stun 3 qualify add an additional 3 damage to the attack plus the base damage 6?

6 minutes ago, Sincereagape said:

This thread makes me want to create a blaster Jedi. Does the heartwood blaster stun 3 qualify add an additional 3 damage to the attack plus the base damage 6?

Stun is an active quality that can be triggered by 2 Advantage. The target suffers strain equal to the weapon's Stun rating. If you are targeting Minions or Rivals, it will count as wound damage since they do not have strain thresholds.

15 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Stun is an active quality that can be triggered by 2 Advantage. The target suffers strain equal to the weapon's Stun rating. If you are targeting Minions or Rivals, it will count as wound damage since they do not have strain thresholds.

Does the stun damage ignore soak? And does the stun quality when triggers add onto the normal damage?

Just now, Sincereagape said:

Does the stun damage ignore soak? And does the stun quality when triggers add onto the normal damage?

Yes, it ignores soak. Hence "suffers" and "inflicts."

Text from the book:

A weapon with Stun deals strain to the target. When the Stun quality is activated, it inflicts strain equal to the weapon's Stun rating.

I don't know what you mean by "add onto the normal damage."

3 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Yes, it ignores soak. Hence "suffers" and "inflicts."

Text from the book:

I don't know what you mean by "add onto the normal damage."

Does the 3 stun inflicted stack onto the damage 6?

1 minute ago, Sincereagape said:

Does the 3 stun inflicted stack onto the damage 6?

It applies separately. You resolve damage and stuff, and then you move on to resolving Advantage and Triumph. It is at this stage that you would trigger, and consequently apply, Stun.

Minor quibble stun damage can be soaked suffered stun can not.

12 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

It applies separately. You resolve damage and stuff, and then you move on to resolving Advantage and Triumph. It is at this stage that you would trigger, and consequently apply, Stun.

you only need to hit to activate the quality though, damage can be soaked but you can activate the quality regardless

otherwise the ssb-1 static pistol would be utterly useless, given its damage of 2

12 hours ago, Daeglan said:

Minor quibble stun damage can be soaked suffered stun can not.

4 hours ago, MB -Fr- said:

you only need to hit to activate the quality though, damage can be soaked but you can activate the quality regardless

otherwise the ssb-1 static pistol would be utterly useless, given its damage of 2

Yeah, that's what I said, isn't it?

56 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Yeah, that's what I said, isn't it?

sort of. As i said a quibble. Stun damage can be soaked. suffering stun cant be soaked.