New spells from the Expanded Guide and Runes/Verse

By Kymrel, in Realms of Terrinoth

Hey guys

I like the three new spells from the Expanded Guide, but wonder if they should be available to casters using Runes or Verse casting skills. It is a pertinent question since I'm planning to start GMing my new campaign early January.

After giving it some thought, I'm leaning towards giving both Runes and Verse the Mask spell and I'm tempted to give the Predict spell to Runes, although I'm not quite sold on that.

What are your thoughts about this?

I definitely think the mask spell suits the concept of the verse skill (not so much the runes skill, though there's no reason it couldn't be used for this).

Conceptually I could see the runes skill being used for the predict spell as it is probably closest to arcana in the way it's implemented. You could say the magic trapped in the runes was being used to discern the strands of possible futures.

Of course you could make an argument on any of the spells for any of the skills depending on your viewpoint. It was a good pickup that the Terrinoth spell skills hadn't been included for the new spells in the EPF. I wonder if FFG missed it or just decided that the spells weren't relevant for those skills

Over on Discord we did a poll to see what the community thought, and this is what we came up with: unknown.png

Granted we only had 19 people vote, but still. It's a good start.

I'll throw in a vote for the discord chart. That seems fair to me.

Would be interesting to see if FFG will have an "official" line on this though.

On 12/26/2019 at 12:17 PM, c__beck said:

Over on Discord we did a poll to see what the community thought, and this is what we came up with: unknown.png

Granted we only had 19 people vote, but still. It's a good start.

Runes of Transformation are a thing. Why did you block it?

And Runes of Utility don't make sense for me. Utility spells are like Cantrips, quick easy snap-of-the-Fingers, whereas Runes seem more substantial.

Why not swap these two?

4 minutes ago, RustamShamshiri said:

Runes of Transformation are a thing. Why did you block it?

I didn't block it, it was a poll of the Discord community. As I said, there were only 20 people who voted, and I guess we're just not that well-versed in Terrinoth lore.

4 minutes ago, RustamShamshiri said:

And Runes of Utility don't make sense for me. Utility spells are like Cantrips, quick easy snap-of-the-Fingers, whereas Runes seem more substantial.

Every magic skill gets Utility, even Runes. Check page 115 of RoT.

As a sidenote the Tier 4 talent polymorph makes Transform available to Arcane and divine casters. You could extent this to Runes as well but again not by RAW since its only Arcane and Divine

Should put it as a question for them on the upcoming podcast.