Drop Pods (and similar)

By edderkoppen, in Horus Heresy

Can you land units in more than one territory?

"The units may be placed in an enemy, contested and/or fortified area but not in the..."

What eludes me, is the and/or, on the other hand it clearly uses a singular both in area and 'an'. Help :)

edderkoppen said:

enemy, contested and/or fortified

The area can be...

• enemy
  • enemy and fortified
  • contested
  • contested and fortified
  • friendly
  • friendly and fortified

With enemy being 1, contested being 2, and fortified being 3, these are...

• 1 and 3
  • 2 and 3
  • none

So it's possible for an area to be just enemy, just contested, and just fortified. Furthermore, it can be fortified in addition to being either enemy or contested.

Kinda funny that you can't Drop Pod into a neutral area. IIRC, you can do a Port Landing at a neutral spaceport.

Dam said:

Kinda funny that you can't Drop Pod into a neutral area. IIRC, you can do a Port Landing at a neutral spaceport.

Not having the card in front of me but had the card said "must be placed..." then I would say you couldn't land them in a neutral area.

As it's a movement card, it's stating that you can break the normal rules for movement in it's various forms with the one exception.

Dam said:

Oups, I forgot neutral (and neutral fortified) in my list ... the card doesn't say that you can't Drop Pod into a neutral area, or does it? I always read it as kinda saying "you can pod wherever you want, even into those areas where you wouldn't expect to be able to and couldn't with a normal movement order". You make me question my judgement however...

Since "may" is optional, and "must" would be mandatory, it appeared to me that the card does not rule out territories that are neither enemy, contested nor fortified...

End of the first paragraph says "any area in this region", so presumably, the second paragraph is meant to clarify that you can in fact DP units into those three different areas, that you couldn't normally move units into.

Thanks you very much!

.e