My Jedi keep disarming my Inquisitors and I want a way to stop it from happening

By ParadoxVictor, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

Title

They're not even using Sum Djem, they keep using 3 advantages to force a character to drop their an object, which for an Inquisitor would be their weapon. I have used it against them before so I guess it's only fair, but it was in a battle against Dathomiran wildlife. But is there a way to resist this disarmament? Am I reading the rules wrong?

Thanks in advance.

There isn't really a way to nerf that, as far as I am aware, but I believe the Magnetic Tether attachment allows you to retrieve a dropped weapon as an incidental.

You could always just ask them to stop disarming your inquisitors. That would solve your problem and make Sum Djem much more useful. If they aren't agreeable to that, then you've just got to work around it.

The Makashi Duelist spec from the FnD core has Resist Disarm, which nopes disarming at the cost of 2 strain.

Imperial Valor, a special ability from the Inquisitor creation rules in the same book, lets an NPC redirect ranged attacks onto their allies. Can't shoot their blaster out of their hand if you can't target them.

Give them a custom talent that lets them call their weapon to their hand as an out-of-turn incidental at the cost of strain.

Well, you'll have to think outside the box for this one and come up with a solution so brilliant only an EU-writer could've conceived it....

Lord_Nyax.jpg

Surgically implanted lightsabers everywhere! Eight of them means that he's twice as cool as Grievous!

And they said the EU was stupid...

What about just slapping the "Resist Disarm" talent onto some of your inquisitors?

Pay 2 strain and keep your saber...

Edited by Vondy

Slapping Resist Disarm on a couple of them seems liek the best course of action. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Also make an inquisitor that doesnt tely on a saber. Uses move or unleash instead.

All of the above. Resist Disarm is the easiest.

Like Daeglan mentioned, make an inquisitor that doesn't rely on a lightsaber.

To expand on the above, a Steel Hand/Martial Artist/Colossus with a shield gauntlet [or 2, lol] (the one that allows Reflect to be used) could potentially be more terrifying (I give the specs as an example of how to build the inquisitors abilities).

Back up a step: why are the inquisitors repeatedly putting themselves in that position, especially if their targets are known for doing it?

"I'll just have to send another, slightly stronger version of the same thing after them..." is Evil Overlord List behavior. By this point any inquisitors showing up ought to be using completely different tactics that don't leave them wearing a giant DISARM ME TO WIN sign.

Edited by Garran
4 hours ago, Garran said:

Back up a step: why are the inquisitors repeatedly putting themselves in that position, especially if their targets are known for doing it?

Indeed.

****, just a dual-wielder would make this tactic significantly less effective.

Also, look at Second Sister with her flying monkeys, I mean droids. Obviously not all Inkies trust in their abilities with the Force and will utilize gadgets to their advantage. So booby-trap that sword. Use vibro throwing knives as backup weapons. Call in some droid support - Viper probe droids, KX enforcers, etc.

Or... the Quick draw talent and a bandolier full of spare lightsabres!

12 hours ago, Daeglan said:

Also make an inquisitor that doesnt tely on a saber. Uses move or unleash instead.

This. Make it a more Palpatine style of Inquisitor than a Vader. Sure the Inquisitor HAS a saber, but they barely bother with it. They'd rather use Force powers to get their butt whoopin' done. If you insist on having melee combat be a key factor, then make them a hand to hand expert, who uses dodge and the other defensive traits (coupled with several ranks of Adversary) to simply avoid the strikes of the Jedi, and then line up a gut punch on them. Go for more of a Dark Monk/Wizard motif, instead of a Dark Samurai, and go to town on them.

A hand-to-hand expert with Crushgaunts and Unarmed Parry! :)

(I know it technically says unarmed, but how does that apply to something like gloves, RAW? I assume it would still function, but is there an official ruling anywhere?)

16 minutes ago, KungFuFerret said:

This. Make it a more Palpatine style of Inquisitor than a Vader. Sure the Inquisitor HAS a saber, but they barely bother with it. They'd rather use Force powers to get their butt whoopin' done. If you insist on having melee combat be a key factor, then make them a hand to hand expert, who uses dodge and the other defensive traits (coupled with several ranks of Adversary) to simply avoid the strikes of the Jedi, and then line up a gut punch on them. Go for more of a Dark Monk/Wizard motif, instead of a Dark Samurai, and go to town on them.

like steel hand adept.

11 hours ago, Garran said:

"I'll just have to send another, slightly stronger version of the same thing after them..." is Evil Overlord List behavior. By this point any inquisitors showing up ought to be using completely different tactics that don't leave them wearing a giant DISARM ME TO WIN sign.

To note, an Inquisitor should really only be going in for one-on-one fights, and not really trying to take on a group of PCs all at once (especially as this system does not handle one baddie vs. multiple PCs fights very well, even with the Enhanced Nemesis rules), especially if they have intel about the PCs using certain tactics.

Stan Fresh had a point regarding the Seventh Sister in Rebels, who made use of droid minions to give herself an edge. Put bluntly, if it's anything but a one-on-one battle, the Inquisitor shouldn't consider fighting fairly, and even in a one-on-one fight they should be willing and eager to cheat to their advantage unless they're extremely overconfident and/or are certain their opponent is much weaker than them. Heck, an Inquisitor's double-bladed lightsaber is intended to let them "cheat" and provide both a psychological edge and a combat one (Filoni said in an interview during the first season of Rebels that the spin-mode was to allow the Inquisitor to replicate Maul's double-saber fighting style without needing to have the same degree of martial prowess that Maul had).

I ran one encounter with a very powerful Inquisitor pitted against a quartet of PCs, and their shock when they realized the guy was even more dangerous without his lightsaber was great; he decided that if the PCs weren't going to be sporting about the fight, neither would he and so he broke out his Move and Bind powers to substantial effect and possibly would have TPK'd them had they not gotten clever about making their escape, and since then have decided that if they see this guy again, the first and foremost plan is to flee the scene.

Out of curiosity, is there anything RAW regarding the disarming of two-handed weapons? Would it be mechanically more difficult, require expenditure of more Advantage?

24 minutes ago, Edgehawk said:

Out of curiosity, is there anything RAW regarding the disarming of two-handed weapons? Would it be mechanically more difficult, require expenditure of more Advantage?

They dont really have rules for 2 handed wielding.

2 hours ago, Edgehawk said:

Nothing official. Disarming is three advantage (or a Triumph) without regard to how many hands are on the weapon's grip.

I supposed the GM could house rule that a two-handed weapon (or weapon held with two hands) requires one or two additional advantage, but I can also see that being abused by a certain breed of players who are paranoid about being disarmed, or try to claim the GM never said the target was using two hands on the weapon.

3 hours ago, Edgehawk said:

I can't think of any game where it matters what kind of weapon you're trying to disarm.

11 hours ago, micheldebruyn said:

I can't think of any game where it matters what kind of weapon you're trying to disarm.

The 3.X iteration of D&D (and games using that engine) increased the target's Armor Class by a token amount if they were holding a weapon with two hands, be it a greatsword or some variation of polearm. I know that Saga Edition gave a substantial bonus to the target's AC if the attacker was trying to disarm, enough to make a disarm-focused build very difficult in the early going.

Not certain, but I think the AEG versions of L5R also had a bit about two-handed weapons being more difficult to disarm, but it's been a few years since I last played that game and saw someone attempting a disarm, as it was usually just more expedient to cut the fool down with your katana (especially in the earlier editions where combat was incredibly dangerous if not outright lethal).