A Small But Vicious App >> The WFRP Toolkit is now available on the iTunes App Store

By ynnen, in WFRP Archived Announcements

Fantasy Flight Games is proud to announce an exciting new product available at the iTunes App Store! With the WFRP Toolkit, you’ll always carry a full set of dice for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay in your pocket.

At the core of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay is its innovative dice system, which provides an unparalleled number of story-telling options. With the WFRP Toolkit on your iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad, you can have the convenience of a full set of WFRP dice at your fingertips. Its intuitive design ensures a seamless fit into your WFRP sessions; simply tap the dice you need, then shake your device to roll them!

You can read the entire announcement here .

Cross posted from Strike-to-Stun ( http://forum.strike-to-stun.net/viewtopic.php?p=53489#53489 ).

Good lord. It's $2.99 for a dice app!

sigh.

I am a ***** and did buy it however.

Abominably slow to load up (I have an iPhone 3Gs).

You can get rid of the initial FFG Movie by either tapping on it when it shows up, or going into OPTIONS and disabling it.

Does save the dice that you've selected if you close the app down.

You can't actually save a set of dice and use them later .... not sure if that'd be useful or not.

Very pretty. Visually and aurally appealing.

Not intuitive. You have to read the directions. But, it's a quick read and it's simple to operate.

Can't tell if I'd use it or not. We'll have to see.

Again ... $2.99? Really?

I'd pay for an Android app.

I would pay for an official PC Sofware for making my on Action-, Talent- Career Crads etc.

ynnen said:

Fantasy Flight Games is proud to announce an exciting new product available at the iTunes App Store! With the WFRP Toolkit, you’ll always carry a full set of dice for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay in your pocket.

At the core of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay is its innovative dice system, which provides an unparalleled number of story-telling options. With the WFRP Toolkit on your iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad, you can have the convenience of a full set of WFRP dice at your fingertips. Its intuitive design ensures a seamless fit into your WFRP sessions; simply tap the dice you need, then shake your device to roll them!

That's a Great and Gorgeous App on its 1.0 version. Here's, as a faithful warhammer GM who plays every week, my UPDATE GAMER WISHLIST :

• List all dices on the same screen , without having to slide left or right. We always use all kind of dices, unlike Dicenomicon.
  • Display the check result immediatly on the screen , not in an additionnal a touch window. It will usefully save GM's time.
  • Enable an UNLAUCHED POOL SAVE option we could name. It will usefully save GM's time, like Dicenomicon (ie : beastmen attack, wizard NPC spell, etc...).

Then some technical updates possibilites

• Start faster since there's no multitask yet.
  • A true iPad+iPhone app.

Thanks.

willmanx said:

• Enable an UNLAUCHED POOL SAVE option we could name. It will usefully save GM's time, like Dicenomicon (ie : beastmen attack, wizard NPC spell, etc...).

Nice idea.

Only after I had bought the damned thing did I realise that I've no user for it as I really REALLY like rolling the dices. ^_^

An application for cards would be marvelous reference for GMs and players alike. Nice START really. :P

Yeah I said on the news page that I'd be all over an Android version, but after stopping to think about the fact that I've bought 3 expansion packs of dice to add to my core set, I can't imagine spending more money to be able to not use them.

I am really glad to see an iPhone app. I hope that this product generates enough interest to guarantee frequent updates, and more WFRP apps.

I'd also love to see an Android version for those of us who are iPhoneless.

willmanx said:

ynnen said:

That's a Great and Gorgeous App on its 1.0 version. Here's, as a faithful warhammer GM who plays every week, my UPDATE GAMER WISHLIST :

• List all dices on the same screen , without having to slide left or right. We always use all kind of dices, unlike Dicenomicon.
  • Display the check result immediatly on the screen , not in an additionnal a touch window. It will usefully save GM's time.

Then some technical updates possibilites

• Start faster since there's no multitask yet.
  • A true iPad+iPhone app.

Thanks.

Urrgh...

EDIT : Display a REAL check RESULT on the screen, not the total of each success, failure, bane and boons you got. I mean : substract success and failure, substract banes with boons. For now the small online compact roller is way more useful.

Love it! I'd love to see some meatier NPC/location database stuff eventually, ideally with iPad support!

Llanwyre said:

Love it! I'd love to see some meatier NPC/location database stuff eventually, ideally with iPad support!

That would be the exact day that I ordered an iPad.

Any chance of getting that app on the android market (which btw has more customers than the I-store...)?

doctor-boom said:

Any chance of getting that app on the android market (which btw has more customers than the I-store...)?

That's really interesting! Any numbers to back those figures up? I couldn't find any. The last figure on smartphone market share that I saw were 9% Android to 28% iPhone. Are people just buying more apps for Android?

Well, I for one dig on the iPhone version of the app! I downloaded it a week or two ago and remain amused by it. I enjoy rolling the physical dice too much to give them up, but this will be great for situations when a huge handful of dice would be unwieldy.

Llanwyre said:

That's really interesting! Any numbers to back those figures up? I couldn't find any. The last figure on smartphone market share that I saw were 9% Android to 28% iPhone. Are people just buying more apps for Android?

As far as I know, Android users are buying less apps. I think doctor-boom is confused by the fact that more Android phones than iPhones were sold in North America during the first quarter of 2010. That's only a 3 month period, and just before the release of a new iPhone at that, so it doesn't mean that Android is actually overtaking the iPhone yet (though I'm certain that in the long run it will).

Android is still the smaller market for now. But it's an increasingly interesting one.

My bad, should have said "growing faster".

.Aka, there's been more android phones sold in q1 2010 than iphones. Not exactly the same thing.

After using the app for the first time in game last night I'd like to give some feedback

PLEASE make it stop the annoying 'zoom in/zoom out' thing every time you roll the dice. Worst example of this is when you roll a righteous success on an expertise die. For a start, it should recognise a righteous success and immediately roll another die for me anyway, but when it doesn't, I have to tap-hold on the screen to zoom out, a new expertise die, tap on that then roll again. At which point the app then zooms back in every time.

Just leave me on the 'zoomed out' view all the time, there really is no need to give me that extra couple of centimeters screen view.

Expertise die: I've already said when I roll a righteous success automatically roll me another expertise die but I think it's worth repeating

Total: on the dice summary, please net off the banes/boons and successes/challenges. I know it's easy subtraction but the computer can do that calculation quicker than I can so make it do so!

Yes, all of these would be very welcome changes!

I like the app and do use it during games - though it sometimes is a pain having to pick the phone up and shake it to get the dice rolled. A simple roll button could speed this up.

another vote for an android app here! :)

Just got this app and I agree with most of the comments. Put all the die types on the screen at once. Righteous success should auto-roll. Have the results screen give you the net result and not just sum the dice up or even better have it show both. In addition to really make it a useful tool I'd like to see some increased functionality in a future version so that you could track a creatures A/C/E through it as well. I have plenty of dice and counters but usually put them out for the players. I'd love to have a nice little app that I could use as the GM to track all that stuff. Especially if you make an ipad version that takes advantage of it's extra real estate.

Bump...

It has been ages, an Android map in bound... or even PC!

another vote for an android app here! :) x2

I'd purchase this app if it were given a bit more utility. I'm not so interested in a dice roller, but a GM toolkit including form fillable sheet PDFs, encounter helpers (Tracker tool, Initiative track, A/C/E budgets, etc.), and the like would make it worth as much as $10 to me.