Number of players

By jobee12, in Rules Questions

New GM, starting with the Beginner Game. It says 3-5 players. Does that mean 3-5 PCs or include the GM? Would the game (and future campaigns) work with 5 PCs?

Asking because we have four so far and one more interested in joining.

I personally wouldn't run a game of this system with 5 players. I would not recommend going over 3 PCs as I think this system specially suits smaller groups.

But you do you. The game "works" with 4+ players.

"3-5 players" includes the GM, but....

The Beginner Game includes folios for four pre-made player characters. Add in the GM and you have a maximum of five players. Later, however, Fantasy Flight released additional character folios designed for the Beginner Game. Those are on the L5R RPG products page under the Player Resources section: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/legend-of-the-five-rings-roleplaying-game/ You should see character folios for three additional Beginner Game characters: Hida Sugi of the Crab, Bayushi Kyo of the Scorpion, and Shinjo Takuya of the Unicorn. There is also a blank Beginner Game folio in the same section in case you wanted to go even bigger.

Having said that, playing a game with more than one GM and four player characters can get unwieldy and each players gets less time in the spot light. Fortunately, the Beginner Game story is fairly railroaded so it's not a big problem there. Also, with a large group, inevitably someone won't like the game or won't be able schedule in further sessions. Unless you have enough people to warrant two groups, my suggestion would be to play the Beginner Game with the big group so everyone can learn about the mechanics and setting and then continue a full campaign with whoever still wants/is still able to play.

If you do manage to run five players with different tastes, experiences, and expectations through a demonstration of a new (and moderately complicated) rule-set and all five of them want to stick around for a full campaign, congratulations, you are probably a wonderful GM and phenomenal scheduler and I would want to be your sixth player.

3 hours ago, DanGers said:

"3-5 players" includes the GM, but....

The Beginner Game includes folios for four pre-made player characters. Add in the GM and you have a maximum of five players. Later, however, Fantasy Flight released additional character folios designed for the Beginner Game. Those are on the L5R RPG products page under the Player Resources section: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/legend-of-the-five-rings-roleplaying-game/ You should see character folios for three additional Beginner Game characters: Hida Sugi of the Crab, Bayushi Kyo of the Scorpion, and Shinjo Takuya of the Unicorn. There is also a blank Beginner Game folio in the same section in case you wanted to go even bigger.

Having said that, playing a game with more than one GM and four player characters can get unwieldy and each players gets less time in the spot light. Fortunately, the Beginner Game story is fairly railroaded so it's not a big problem there. Also, with a large group, inevitably someone won't like the game or won't be able schedule in further sessions. Unless you have enough people to warrant two groups, my suggestion would be to play the Beginner Game with the big group so everyone can learn about the mechanics and setting and then continue a full campaign with whoever still wants/is still able to play.

If you do manage to run five players with different tastes, experiences, and expectations through a demonstration of a new (and moderately complicated) rule-set and all five of them want to stick around for a full campaign, congratulations, you are probably a wonderful GM and phenomenal scheduler and I would want to be your sixth player.

Heh heh - you’re definitely right about scheduling issues! I’d seen the additional folios online when we were still four PCs so gave everyone those options as well. Fascinatingly, two of the online folios were immediately chosen, but mostly because of clan features. Crab and their involvement with the Shadowlands deeply appealed to one of of our players and Unicorn and horse riding appealed to another. So, there we have it!

I think you’re right though that it may become unwieldy with 5 PCs... I’m hesitant... Maybe one will lose interest before we even get our first meet in!

I suggest 3 or 4 players, PLUS a DM. So a total of 4-5 people. Its not so much about the system as it is about organizing regular game nights with more people being kind of a pain

I would say it depends on the players. We had 5 and no problems, but not every one of them tried to be in the spotlight all the time.

3-4 + gm for would be the ideal i would say.

5-6 + gm if the goup is well disciplined and the gm is A+.

7 and higher, just split the groups.