Encumbrance Capacity...

By TheBoulder, in Rules Questions

Can anyone find a description for Encumbrance Capacity ? Not value, not threshold. It appears on vehicles and on mounts. It existed in Star Wars, although I can't find a description for it there either.

I have always taken it to mean, in addition to passengers. Cargo space essentially.

If you take it to mean the literal amount something can carry... A horse has a capacity of 12. A warrior with 4 Brawn has a value of 9. If they are wearing chainmail (3), they are at max capacity and can't carry a weapon or anything else for that matter.

My conclusion is that it is in addition to a rider and their immediate equipment (armour, primary weapon) . It is used for extra things that are carrying or wish to laod the horse with. To conclude anything else seems unwieldy at best.

I'm hoping I've missed the definition somewhere but I can't find it in the core, expanded player's guide or in star wars.

How have you guys handled it?

Hey, you are in luck as GENESYS Expanded Player's Guide has material on the topic of Encumbrance.

EPG, Part II, Ch-1, page 60, Table II.1-1 Vehicle Silhouettes and Suggested Characteristics

EPG, Part II, Ch-1, page 61, Occupants, Encumbrance Capacity, and Consumables

EPG, Part II, Ch-1, page 62, Table II.1-4 Occupants, Encumbrance Capacity, and Consumables

Edited by RustamShamshiri

Yes I have that. It does not explain what it is.

On 12/7/2019 at 1:22 PM, TheBoulder said:

Yes I have that. It does not explain what it is.

uhm, sorry for the delay.

Well, okay, my take on it. Like Silhouette, Encumbrance is volumetric scalar of volume and/or mass. It can represent either size or weight or both of an object.

So, an example, a Silhouette 2 standard pickup truck with an Encumbrance of 8 might be able to carry/hold 8 Silhouette 1 things or possibly 8 75-100 kilogram things. A standard half-ton Ford pickup is rated with driver and passengers to carry about ~1,200 lbs (~0.5 metric tons) without strain.

Mostly, it seems the creators/designers leave it up to the GM and players to use the examples provided to come up with their own mutually agreed upon common sense rules-of-thumb when dealing with it.

(Associated ideas: Cumbersome, Unwieldy)