Optimized HUGE Prototype

By Parakitor, in X-Wing Epic Play

EDIT: APPARENTLY I CAN'T READ CARDS. DISREGARD THIS ENTIRE THREAD. DIRECTOR KRENNIC HAS OFFICIALLY CHOKED ON HIS ASPIRATIONS.

Too Long; DON'T Read: Optimized Prototype only works on forward arc primary attacks so it's an awful choice for huge ships, and literally does nothing on the Raider. I am an idiot.

There has been some talk about using Director Krennic to assign Optimized Prototype to a huge ship, and I think it's a really interesting idea. I then got to thinking that a small ship with Director Krennic will have a major target on it, so it might be best to put Krennic on one huge ship, and Optimized Prototype on the other. Here are the builds I came up with.

Build #1

Outer Rim Garrison (60)
Targeting Battery (9)
Director Krennic (4)
Sensor Experts (10)
Boosted Scanners (8)
Suppressor (6)
Fire-Control System (2)
Ship total: 99

Outer Rim Patrol (150)
Proton Torpedoes (13)
Concussion Missiles (6)
Ordnance Tubes (2)
Point-Defense Battery (10)
Perceptive Copilot (8)
Damage Control Team (3)
Tibanna Reserves (3)
Instigator (6)
Ship total: 201

Total: 300

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

This one is the most interesting, so I'll lead with it. I added some non-essential upgrades just to get to 300.

Here's how it works. Director Krennic puts Optimized Prototype on the Raider. Gozanti uses Sensor Experts to lock up to3 ships, using Boosted Scanners for range if necessary (also links into calculate). If they're out of range, it just uses Targeting Battery + Boosted Scanners to grab a single lock. Next action, coordinate the Raider to have a focus or jam if it's close enough, then spend an energy to activate Suppressor and jam a(nother) ship at range 0-2 of the raider.

Raider activates, Reinforce into Calculate with Damage Control Team , then lock a ship for Proton Torpedoes. If the ships locked by the Gozanti are range 1-2, then it can focus instead of lock and unleash with Instigator , which allows it to reroll two dice on every attack including Point Defense Battery because locks are red tokens. If ships aren't in range, of Point Defense Battery, shoot with Primary, then Proton Torpedoes, then Concussion missiles on the locked ship to annihilate it.

The nice thing is that the Gozanti attacks first so it should have at least one ship locked at the end of its activation for the Instigator to reroll against.

Build #2 (the other way round)

Outer Rim Garrison (60)
Point-Defense Battery (10)
Damage Control Team (3)
Tibanna Reserves (3)
Optimized Power Core (6)
Blood Crow (5)
Ship total: 87

Outer Rim Patrol (150)
Director Krennic (4)
Ship total: 154

Total: 241

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0 :

This one is slightly less exciting because it requires fewer moving parts, which probably makes it more versatile in the end. Director Krennic assigns Optimized Prototype to the Gozanti, which can now use Blood Crow to add a focus to every attack at range 1-2 (e.g. Point Defense Battery ), and trade that focus in for an enemy's shield, or to flip a damage card on the target faceup. Blood Crow has the added benefit of granting +2 energy capacity, so plenty of energy to fire the Point Defense Battery. Tibanna Reserves and Optimized Prototype help keep the energy up, while Damage Control Team makes sure the weapon is online when it is time to fire.

I was about to put Fifth Brother and Perceptive Copilot on the Gozanti, which is probably a good idea. I just think that Optimized Prototype may make them not as necessary as they otherwise would be. I mean, I have the points if I'm shooting for 300.

Not sure where to go with the Raider on this one. I thought about coordinating the Gozanti, but ships with 4 attack dice on their primary attack ought to be using their actions to maximize their own damage output. Really, it could be kitted out identically to the one above, except with Krennic on board and it would do fine.

Comments, critiques and criticisms welcome. Do you think a double huge ship squad would do well in Passing Engagement or Atmospheric Entry?

Edited by Parakitor

Friendo, Krennic only works on front arc primary attacks. Raider has FULL front arc primary.

7 hours ago, player3719000 said:

Friendo, Krennic only works on front arc primary attacks. Raider has FULL front arc primary.

"How embarrassing. How embarrassing!"

I must have read the card 16 times, but I was so blinded by my excitement, I couldn't see what was right in front of me.

On the plus side, Director Krennic may be viable on a huge ship with sensor experts. Having multiple ships locked gives the prototype a better chance of being able to trigger the ability.

Edited by Unit34

Director Krennec works on the front arc of a Gozanti.